• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

prepping for a passenger on v7 II stone

inbinder

Just got it firing!
Manual has tire (tyre) pressures for a passenger, but what else needs to be done?
Adjust the rear suspension to the hardest setting? Intuitively because of the load that makes
sense.

What do people do who often ride solo and with a passenger? Do you just leave it setup for
a passenger?

Again, new to this stuff.

Presuming your Stone is equipped with the similar basic suspension as my '07 Nevada, I would suggest that preload on rear shocks is the only adjustment available to you - there is heaps of info. available online (Google "motorcycle suspension") on establishing appropriate
- but not necessarily "the hardest"- "sag" settings by adjusting that preload In my experience, the preload setting for two-up is OK (just) for short one- up trips but definitely do not ride two-up on one-up setting if you want best available (from basic suspension) comfort and handling.

Lofty

I don't make any adjustments for passengers, other then drive slower to avoid bumps. Just don't want to deal with the set screw, pain in the ass. The rear shocks are so freakin stiff anyway I can't even tell somebody is back there. I could throw two 60 pound bags of sand on the back seat and nothing would happen. I loaded the bike up heavy for a long cross country trip and could feel no difference at all. That's how it is when you have pogo stick suspension. I owned a hard tail back in the day that gave me a better ride.

My Triumph I just move the rear shocks up one ramp to stiffen the rear shocks up.

Agree totally with Elkgrichard above.
Leave the bike as it is and it may well handle better two up than solo due to the suspension hardness - mine does!
AndyB

See the Suspension thread >HERE<. I'll be able to comment more soon on the Ollé stock shocks, as I'll be taking delivery of the RentAGuzzi V7 II tomorrow. Measure and set your rear shock sag (as best that can be done), and you'll enjoy your bike tons more. With a passenger on the stock shocks, you'll likely have very little travel for bump absorption. Suspension is one of the best investments you can make. I offer most of the good ones on the online Store; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/suspension/?filtering=1&filter_model=77

2013 stone, 175 lbs....I can watch my stock front end and it barely moves hitting bumps. Almost like too much sag and then not much left for travel. Don't get launched out of the seat but it sure is a hard hit with any bump at all. The front end feed back harsh to the bars even with small bumps. The back shocks I can't figure them out at all. Almost as if any adjustment to pre load does nothing. It appears the springs front and rear are just total garbage.

In total this suspension is the first time I've been unable to make anything even work a little bit, this after owning over 35 motorcycles. I've always been able to make stock shocks on other bikes work, mission impossible on this bike, for me anyway.

Last edited:
So the lady and I went tooling around the DMV area on the v7 II stone. Lovely and super fun, but she's very grumpy
about the stock seat. Are there any seat options that make it more passenger friendly?

Putting on an Airhawk pad is a cheaper alternative. I use one for me, an the same one could be used for the pillion as well. It is the small pillion pad, 9x11 inches. the secret is to run it with just a tiny amount of air, do not overfill it, and it works like a charm. Beats sending out your seat and spending big money.

I have an Airhawk-it works well when I use it (mostly if I have to slab it) but it comes off in the twisties. I'm not happy hanging off it or going from side to side when the pace quickens. YMMV, as always. I find it to be another tool in the comfort wars.

Back