• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sport 1200 4v tappets

iainw

Cruisin' Guzzisti
If I'm going looking for a Sport to replace my Breva 1100 how will I know it's tappets are OK? When did they solve the issue in manufacturing and can I tell by the engine number? Some bikes have sat in a dealer for a year or so before being registered so I can't really go by it's year of registration.

If one is in the period when they had the issues how will I know it's had the proper fix?

Any help in identifying a good un will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Iain

With the 8V motors, you pay the money, and take you're chances .......

Seriously tho', some have no problem, others have had two or three replacements. Motor running too cold has been suggested as a reason.

Haven't heard any issues with the roller cam follower motors. That would be the version I would personally go for. But I'd be holding my breath.

Any dealer should be able to search the VIN to see what, if any, recall work has been done.
The roller tappets are clearly different from the flat tappet motors.
I prefer the flat tappet motors and would use the issue as a bargaining chip to get a good price.

Thanks for the replies.
What year were the roller tappets introduced?
Is it possible to convert a flat tappet motor to a roller tappet motor?
What sort of cost would the parts run to?

Cheers,
Iain

Iain,

you need an A8 motor to ensure you are not in a troubled range. The motor to avoid is the A5. Earlier engines like the A2 had no issues

Thanks Tony, I'm going to have a look at one on Wednesday. Only looking mind you, I'm reluctant to part with my Breva, we've had a lot of good times together.

I've had a look at 2011 Sport 1200 with 3000 miles on it, the bike is like new and has an A7 engine.

Is the A7 engine a roller tappet?

Thanks.

A7 - Hmmm - Done a bit of research and I would say yes - as is the A5 and A8. However I cannot say the exact configuration of the heads. Anyone else prepared to comment?

No 1200 sport was made ever with roller tappets, NONE.
They can be converted, depending on the year they need kit C or D
If all service is done at the Guzzidealer, (keep bills!), Guzzi pays parts, labour is yours. Half day work.

After the kit they need other map(stelvio), and then the speedo will be 8% wrong. If anyone has that problem, I have the fix, contact me.

just had a customer do this . MG answer is 1200 sports don't go wrong ...oh yes they do . they just haven't sold many 8v 1200 sports .
they were going wrong just like the others .
griso 12 last 3-5k miles , 1200 sport 5-8k miles maybe longer , 1200 stelvio 10-15k miles .
it all depends on how much town work they do .
put a pressure gauge on any of them and watch the oil pressure drop when they got hot , and when i say drop , cold 70+ psi ....hot 20 psi .

Thanks for all the information, it's been very enlightening.
I've had my dash returned from Carmo, they've done a super job but it wasn't cheap. I've decided to keep my Breva, new front wheel bearings and a pair of tyres and we're best buddies again. Roll on the next 50k miles :)

Back