• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

RPM sweet spot & Fuel Consumption

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi! I'm after some opinions\technical expertise with regards to an ideal rev range? Also, although I appreciate that the whole point in the bike is often just to be able to burn fuel with reckless abandon, but for the more frugal moments, any tips for squeezing as many miles as possible out of my 14l tank?

its and 18 Litre tank, I ride much the same and over 30000 miles have averaged 43mpg (UK gallons), the dash mpg output is in US gallons, so you need to add 20% to that. I run to 150 miles on tank before getting worried about refueling, but have run dry 3 times - the Stelvio is a heavy bike to push for any distance.
Lots of info on here about fueling (Todd's PCV5 and ECU flash sorts it all out).
I ride in the higher gears, 70 mph = 4000 rpm which is unfortunately the flat spot in stock set ups. I find that the high gears can chug along happily and hence limit fuel burn, obviously this reduces you ability in accelerating quickly.
All depends on how you ride.

Hi! I'm after some opinions\technical expertise with regards to an ideal rev range? Also, although I appreciate that the whole point in the bike is often just to be able to burn fuel with reckless abandon, but for the more frugal moments, any tips for squeezing as many miles as possible out of my 14l tank?

My Stelvio has Todd's PCV5/AT and ECU flash and riding in 3500/4000 rpm range it gets around 42 MPG.
Bob

Last edited:
I tend to cruise at about 80 which is about 4,600 on the gauge which I find is a comfortable cruising speed/rev in top. Bike is fitted with a GPR end can and Finebau compensator which has significantly reduced the hunting on part throttle and the popping on the overrun.
Recent 2,000 mile trip round spain gave about 46 to the gallon on long, constant speed, runs which means about 138 miles from fill up to reserve light comming on. Commuting reduces the consumption to about 40mpg

A few things that affect mileage...
Keeping the revs lower.
Keeping the speed lower.
Keeping the speed steady.
Accelerate more gradually.

There are more, but that is a start.
None of those things help with enjoyment.
I ride for fun and rarely follow those rules.

Hi - thanks for all the replies...

I appreciate that gradual acceleration and low revs might be more economical, but definitely not nearly as enjoyable.

What would you say about the added wind resistance from panniers? Or perhaps the wind-shield height?

Also - Paul_Tim what do you mean about "hunting on part-throttle". Am I right in thinking this is the sort of lurching sensation?

Lastly - can someone explain more about the ECU flash, and tell me if this will be transferrable to another stelvio should I ever get one?

Lastly - can someone explain more about the ECU flash, and tell me if this will be transferrable to another stelvio should I ever get one?
Happy to answer questions direct email outside all of the info posted about it in the GT Products section. As long as they don't change ECU types, it is transferable.

Also - Paul_Tim what do you mean about "hunting on part-throttle". Am I right in thinking this is the sort of lurching sensation?
Yes, trying to hold a steady speed (say 40) and a steady throttle the bike sort of lurches or hunts as the engine management system fails to react correctly, a classic problem on poorly programmed fuel injection systems. Reflash of the ECU is supposed to eliminate this (no personal experience) and a power commander or other 'add on' box may, or may not, help.

The bike is partial "closed loop," meaning it uses the stock narrow-band 02-sensor to keep the fueling as lean as required by Euro3 emission regs, at low speeds. It transitions from closed to open (static mapping) at about 3500 RPM, and one-third throttle. Pretty much where you find yourself the most. The stock sensor is simply a switch to notify the system if it is working or not. The stock system is not an adaptive one like people all-too-often think. The ECU flash mostly eliminates the 02-sensor input making it a fully static map. Adding the Power Commander and AutoTune from there makes it a fully dynamic system. More info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzitech-power-commander-v-information.2686/

Back