• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New to Me '06 Breva

GABreva55

Just got it firing!
Greetings All,

I just bought my first MG and I am in love.

The reason for my post is to ask if I have a transmission problem or a drive shaft issue. It is very noisy when shifting, seems OK going down the road. There is no noise like a hum or wine, just seems a little clunky when shifting gears.

Is it me that needs to learn to shift my dream bike or is there an issue that I need to fix?

Start by adjusting as much free play as possible from the throttle cables. Then learn the technique of pre-loading the shifter before making the actual shift.

I just bought my first MG and I am in love. Is it me that needs to learn to shift my dream bike or is there an issue that I need to fix?
Congrats and welcome to the GT Forum and Famiglia. Love to get your info for the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/breva-1100-registry-add-your-bike.11531/
The Breva 11 has one of Guzzi's best (to date) gearboxes, so not knowing the service history, try a drain of oil and re-fresh with a quality oil such as Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof or eq... and be sure to do what John suggests above.
Post again/often!

On the CARC page there is a post called "CARC reaction rod".
The Stelvio "silent block" (P/N 883045) is under $10! The transformation in shifting and low speed running (bumper to bumper traffic etc.) was unreal.
Did mine a week ago, and I am still shaking my head and grinning, having believed that all that clunking and rattling was going to stay with me for the rest the bikes days.
The mod is a "must"!
(2006 B11)
It took 2 years, but now I am in love too.

Where are you in Georgia? Metro Atlanta? Active local Guzzisti there.sportbike's

Congrats and welcome, btw. The B11 is, IMO, one of the best all-around Guzzis ever produced. Never owned one, but brother did. Some had maddening dash problems, but overall a wonderful machine.

As for your question, what the others said, tho I'd add a question: what other m/c have you been riding?

I ask because the B11 tranny is not Nipponese snick-snick-snick, but it is buttery compared to most cruisers. If you have mostly ridden the latter, with pronounced pauses between slap, crash, kathunk, the B11 will not reward you for "deliberate" shifts.

If, OTOH, you do a slightly modified version of a power shift, you will find it shifts as smoothly as ... uhm; better delete the analogy I pecked in there. Accurate, but so "late 20th century sexist." ;)

Bill

Hi
Dave with 2005 Breva 1100 , with clunky gearbox. I've owned a few Guzzis since the 80's , and had heard how great/ different the Breva box was - or 'should be" . After stumbling across this thread I went and grabbed that carc reaction rod and at the gearbox end it rattles on my hand ! Said silent bloc has now been ordered. Once again , this forum delivers !
BTW - the best improvement I had with an old LM II gearbox was to fit a Dyna ignition. Spent hours tuning in the ignition but after that gearchanges were remarkably smoother , Strange but true.
now can anyone help with BOTH my cylinder head gaskets appear to be leaking, significantly - bike has 20,000 k.s ,
Cheers all,
aussiedave

Dave, do you mean the rocker cover gaskets? If so, get the green 1100 ones from your favourite supplier and you can re-use them often with no leaks. I think mine are on their 4th re-use...

Hi Tony,
Wish it was the rocker cover gasket - I have the "green " ones , No I have an apparent leak from the head gasket. Evident build up under the exhaust port area between head and barrel and oil dibbles back and flies off onto footrest hangers and my boots. I cant see any external source of leak. Have had exhausts off , tank off , rocker covers off to check for possible gremlin hiding in there. Same symptom both sides , so I think it will soon be " off with Brevan's head (s) " so I can get at the gremlin inside that is squirting the oil out , laughing his little head off he is.

Dave

Sounds like the "O" ring at the base of the head studs were they screw into the block unfortunately heads have to be removed. Stud channel fills up with oil then seeps out just below were the head joins the barrel then blows all over ya boot and jeans and also covers the "chop bone".

Dave,

Good luck with your work. The new engines use a rotational torque procedure. You start by using a standard torque which isn't in the manual, then on the long and short studs it is plus 90 degrees, then you go back to the long studs to give another 90 degrees. If someone knows that initial torque start point it would help everyone. I even checked the 2 valve Norge manual which give engine data. There is a lot of information, but the critical information is lacking in all the Guzzi service manuals.

15 Nm (11.06 lbf ft) +90 + 90 for the nuts and 15 Nm (11.06 lbf ft) +90 for the bolts.
This is from April 2013 release workshop manual for a Breva 850 - Same heads
Steve

Thanks John and Steve,
notes duly printed and when I've gone gremlin hunting I'll give an update !
When new , at first service heads were supposed to be re torqued ? Wonder how they measure that ?
Might be "new" engine compared to the old round barrels I'm very familiar with, but same ol Guzzi err character.......
Funny, when said bike was coming my way - wife said sure , as long as you promise never to pull it apart..........
Doh ! I have a few skeletons in the shed !
Dave

Back