• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

K&N filter for Griso 1100

Hi,

That K&N airfilter (CG-9002) will not fit, it has other dimensions,
What will fit is AL-1004 or AL-4506. This last one looks the most as the original.
These cross references with Airfilter Aprilia 8104329 and that's the same number as on our Griso.
I have a BMC filter (FM373/01) with open airfilterbox on my Griso, mapping adjusted and works really fine.

Ad B

As mentioned in the linked thread, it is best to go with the BMC - perfect fit and not overly oiled.

I removed the complete airbox/battery tray from my 06 Griso & added 2 k&n singles on each throttle body. The I'd of the filter rubber mount should be 2" or so & 5-6" in length. So far no performance issues at all. I did make a battery box & re routed breather lines direct from the blow by tanks, (aka puke tanks), & connected them into a T fitting to send to each throttle bodie to burn the excess blow by. Disconnect the stepper motor vacuum lines only & plug.
For the past 6 years there has been zero problems with performance only an increase. Rev's a lot quicker, better acceleration. Didn't do a Dynotec run but it feels like it pulls so much stronger.

Doug

I removed the complete airbox/battery tray from my 06 Griso & added 2 k&n singles on each throttle body. The I'd of the filter rubber mount should be 2" or so & 5-6" in length. So far no performance issues at all. I did make a battery box & re routed breather lines direct from the blow by tanks, (aka puke tanks), & connected them into a T fitting to send to each throttle bodie to burn the excess blow by. Disconnect the stepper motor vacuum lines only & plug.
For the past 6 years there has been zero problems with performance only an increase. Rev's a lot quicker, better acceleration. Didn't do a Dynotec run but it feels like it pulls so much stronger.

Doug
Hi Doug, I was browsing through several forums & came across your modification. I'm hoping you're still subscribed. I've removed airbox on my Griso & have a friend making up a bracket for the battery. I have 2 BMC cone filters suitable. I hope you can help me with the stepper motor modification. Would you have any photos available?
Your advice would be appreciated.Thanks Gio gio

Removing an air box can cause problems. The air box gives a chamber of still-ish air to be sucked into the throttle bodies. If you have an open bell mouth or even one with a free flowing filter there is a lot of turbulence around the intake which causes drops in pressure (like the venturi effect) and will affect the air/fuel mixture. This is more so when they stick out at the sides on a V, though not as bad on a parallel twin.

For the stepper motor, if you search this site you will find more than a few threads on either removing the stepper motor, putting in a valve allowing you to turn it on or off, or replacing it with an electronically controlled on/off switch.
If you remove it, general practice is to leave it mounted and connected electrically but remove the hoses that connect it to the throttle bodies and plug the ports in the throttle bodies that it used to connect to. That way the ECU still thinks it is there and doesn't flag with an error, yet it no longer can affect the motor.
Personally I prefer the second option, mounting a valve to allow you to turn it on and off. That allows the stepper to do its main job when needed, like when cold starting, but then turn it off after.
As to the pods, well, in todays day and age with better designed airboxes replacing a proper airbox with individual pods is typically a step backwards power wise. They may make more power in one range of rpm but over all, when looking at the whole range the motor turns, the total power output is typically lower. They do look cool, and they tend to make the motor seem faster due to the sound, but total power output is down. If you look at the entire area under the power curve it is less.
Pods are more common on older bikes without the well designed airboxes todays bikes have. Once upon a time they were an improvement over what they had stock. Those days are gone.
If that was not so manufacturers would not spend large amounts of money developing airboxes. That said, they do look cool and if for that reason or any other you want to go with pods, knock yourself out.

Thanks for your opinion, I'm going for a clean look. But at some stage I'll place it on a dyno so I can compare the reading with the previous dyno reading when I installed PCV about a yr ago.
Cheers and happy riding

Back