• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Model Variations-Newbie

Robin Davies

Just got it firing!
Hello. My name is Rob, and I've been biking 30 odd years. I've recently been looking for a new bike and have now focused on the Stelvio.
I have read as much as I can here and elsewhere on the net and would like to ask some straightforward questions. ..In the hope that you can point me in the right direction.
I understand that these bikes may need some love and attention. I am pretty useful in the spannering and electrical departments. The major concern seems to be self destructing cams.
I would like, but can't really justify or afford a new bike. I can live with the smaller tank. Low mileage 08-11 bikes can be found from £5-6 k in the UK. Is one model better than another?. If so what model/year/ engine number should I look for. I would like to get 40 mpg (UK) minimum if possible...do I need to tune or upgrade for this. Any other thing that I need to be aware of with this bike?

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Rob, from memory, only the '09's had the cam issue. The '10-11's come with ABS and are pretty solid. Good luck on the hunt... they're still my most favorite Guzzi to date.

what was the cam issue? i have a 2008 stelvio with over 40,000 kms on it ,i use 10 w 60 fully synt oil and have no issues to date.

I'm glad you said that :). I have seen a 2008 bike with 6000 miles on the clock for a song. It appears cosmetically mint. From reading I have found a list of shall we call them improvements to the later models. The 2008 bike is an ntx, so fully loaded. I presume it will have the 180 rear section tyre?. Apart from the alleged cam issue (or not). I understand that the 2009 was supplied in a different state of tune...more grunt. Are any mapping or airbox upgrades available to make the 2008 more like the 2009 power delivery, or am I looking for issues where they don't exist?. Is there anything on the 2008 model that I will need to upgrade (I know that the speedo sensor seems to have been a problem across the range and also the front axle clamp if over tightened). I'm not trying to wind anyone up discussing problems, I just want to buy knowing the obvious shortcomings -if any. I would wait and save more to buy a later bike if that would be better. Thanks rob

180 came on the standard and 150 on the NTX. Before you buy be sure to ride both. Besides the improved performance (more grunt) the gas mileage is improved big time. The '08 cannot be upgraded to match the 09 with out an exorbitant expense the throttle bodies are bigger as well on the 09. My friend improved the performance and mileage on his 08 with a custom map but was still gutless compared to a stock 09. I'm looking to buy a 09 ('10 US) from another mate - waiting for the dealer to confirm a clutch problem it's having. it was in the shop for 11 months for flattened cam followers. its covered under a recall I think, in any case the factory is paying. The 08 is okay for relaxed pace drivers. My modified B11was more responsive the the 08 Stelvio.

Happy hunting!

My 08 Stelvio has 30K miles on it and has just suffered the cam follower wear problem on the RH cylinder, diagnosed by Twiggers because valve clearances had opened up badly since last service about 6K miles ago. Guzzi have treated it as a warranty issue and supplied the new parts for free, I have to pay the labour which is fair for a 7 year old bike. Apparently cams had previously been changed at 15K miles but that was before I purchased the bike.

Bike is running a GPR end can and Finebauforge fuel injection compensator to reduce the poor injection mapping at 2500-3500 rpm, a better solution would be a custom map which may get done over the winter.

Only real problem is poor fuel range, 120 miles to reserve in mixed driving, later bigger tank models improve on this massivly so depending on how you want to use it this might be the decision point between early and late bikes, both have quite enough get up and go to deal with most situations you'll encounter :)

Back