• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bypassing the startup Fob

Yes, I can confirm that in the first year they went on sale - 2013- although the model year was 2014 as verified by the VIN number - the alarm was standard on the touring model only, in the USA. Don't know about later years and other countries.

The procedure to disarm the alarm has nothing to do with the code you are asked for when first starting the bike. If you want to be able to arm the alarm by using the fob and do not want the alarm to arm when you remove the keys from the ignition then you must perform the below sequence.

1. Start the engine, then shut it off. Set the manual alarm by pushing the key fob button within a few seconds of shut down. The system is now fully armed.
2. Immediately after arming it (the book says within 10 seconds) turn the key on, the alarm will beep once.
3. Push the arming button on the key fob 4 times. The bike will make a sound you never heard before (the book calls it a Boop) 4 times. This confirms that you did it right. If you don't hear 4 Boops, start over again.
4. Turn the key Off. The system is now ready for reprogramming.
5. Turn the key on then off 7 times and then one more time ON (a total of 8 turn-ons). The LED on the side panel (the "real" alarm indicator) should be on.
6. Press the key fob arming button twice. You should hear the weird Boop noise again, confirming the action.
7. Turn the ignition Off and then press the key fob button one last time to exit reprogramming mode.

The red blinker on the dash will continue to blink (it's a decoy and has nothing to do with the actual alarm system), but the Real alarm LED, on the front of the left side panel, will remain off. The alarm will now NOT automatically set. However, if you want to set the full alarm, just use the button.

Of Note, this is best done by having someone read you the steps quickly as you perform the steps. Speed in conducting the steps are key. It did take me a few attempts but i did get it. I now do not have to worry about the alarm, however i can use the FOB to arm the alarm if i want to.

Hi Mike, at step 1. you said to start the engine, this is where i think the confusion lies. How can you start the engine without the Fob? Say it is lost or Fob battery is dead. your stuck on the side of the road, How do you start the bike?

I understand the procedure you described to disarm the system, however without the Fob I can not proceed to step 2.

Dan, I'm pretty sure the instructions Mike is giving us is to disarm the alarm before we ever lose or cant use the fob. It disarms it until you turn it back on, it won't automatically set every time you shut the bike off.

Just heard of a Dutch guy stuck in Dover tonight with a dead 1400, the remote doesn't work.

So well worth all owners considering what they would do in such a situation. Did ask him if a cell phone mast was nearby, they can kill remotes.

Last edited:
I think Tourings come with the alarm installed, Customs don't

You're right Wissing, the Touring comes with it installed. I just got one for my Custom, but seeing all these posts about what a pain it is, is making me want to sell it or not install it. Can anyone tell me how to install it or give me a reason not to? Thanks

MikeBike,
- Click on DOWNLOADS at the top,
- go to page #9,
- download the ' 2014 CAL14 SERVICE 2014-07-14' manual. PDF file.
- once downloaded go to page 354 of the manual,there you can see a much clearer photo of the one I posted above.
It's installed on my bike and if you have any questions PM me.
PS. The white plug in photo#1 unplugs and that is where the alarm plugs in.

MikeBike,
- Click on RESOURCES at the top,
- go to page #9,
- download the ' 2014 CAL14 SERVICE 2014-07-14' manual. PDF file.
- once downloaded go to page 354 of the manual,there you can see a much clearer photo of the one I posted above.
It's installed on my bike and if you have any questions PM me.
PS. The white plug in photo#1 unplugs and that is where the alarm plugs in.

How do I PM you? Thanks.

Mike,
I recently misplaced one set of ignition key, fob and luggage key. While I do have the spare set provided at time of purchasing the 1400 Touring 2-1/2 years ago, I am concerned with a lose of the spare fob, and, just having to rely on the fob to start the 1400.

I have read with great interest your multi-stepped solution to by-pass the fob's electronic theft control system. How did you discover this method for by-passing? I have not read the multi-step procedure from any other source.

My dealer has not been responsive to providing assistance with replacement of the ignition key(s), nor replacement fob. I have ordered new key blanks for "Keys For Classics" via internet at www.keys4classics.com/html/MotoGuzzi.html, but cannot find a source for "new" replacement fobs. Used fobs of the same physical characteristics are available via Ebay, but I am not interested in a used condition product.

As with all things Guzzi, personal research, using forums like GuzziTech and other resources is the Guzzisti enthusiasts main option for solutions to a myriad of Guzzi issues.

Thanks in advance for your kind reply!!!!!

FirstMG,

Thanks for the quick response, and for making the effort to scan the two relevant pages and send along. I have retrieved my 'alarm manual' for the 1400's side case and checked out the multi-step procedure as shown in your gracious reply.

FirstMG,

Thanks for the quick response, and for making the effort to scan the two relevant pages and send along. I have retrieved my 'alarm manual' for the 1400's side case and checked out the multi-step procedure as shown in your gracious reply.
There is better explanation of the procedure here. It is the same as the manual - just easier to grasp.

I installed the alarm on my custom.
I can confirm the above sequence is correct, but can be a real pain to get right.

Once done you just turn the alarm on when needed. Most of the time I just leave it off.

It is covered in the manual .

Just experienced the dead bike at the side of the road, water got into the fob and then would not disable the alarm. The red light on the fob was coming on when the button was pressed, but on latter inspection I could see it was not as bright as usual. Had to leave the bike, then decided to open the fob and found it wet inside, dried it off, light back to full strength. Went back to the bike and all working ok. This is not fun in the rain !!!!!!...will have another go at cancelling the alarm.

Back