• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak after 500 mile trip

Tim Keough

Tuned and Synch'ed
2014 Cali Custom, Bought in July. Just had first service at 1400 miles (late). Bike now has over 2k miles.

I just rode from Austin to Little Rock. Ten hours total trip with eight of those riding. I got to my hotel and when I came back out to go get some lunch I saw a puddle of oil. See first pic with foot for scale.

I went for a 15 mile ride to heat the oil back up so I could check it. It is really hard to tell with a black dipstick where the level is at. I dabbed a kleenex between the markers and it seemed to soak up oil but I could't tell really where the level is.

At a few stops it would leak a few drips (see second pic) but not as much as that first puddle. I will give it an hour or so and go back out and see if more has dripped.

It is Saturday evening in Little Rock. I doubt I can get anyone to look at it until Monday. I had plans of riding through the Ozarks tomorrow then into Tenessee and North Carolina the next two weeks and now I just don't know.

I also don't know where the nearest Guzzi dealer is. Can't find one in Arkansas and my dealer is 500 miles away. Edit: I did call my dealer, AF1 Racing in Austin, and they are closed while they move into a new building. They reopen next Tuesday. I planned on being at Tail of the Dragon Tuesday. =(

Any ideas or advice?

Not good. But, if it were me I would buy a quart of oil and ride. I would look under there and see if you can tell where it is coming from. It could be as simple as a slightly loose drain plug...especially if it is leaking when the bike is sitting still. IF it leaks more when the bike is running then there may be a leak at the seal on the filter, or (God forbid) the rear crankshaft seal. Not all oil leaks are a catastrophe. Keep the sump full and go see the dealer once you get back off the trip if you cant find the leak and stop it. I would not let that little bit of oil stop me, just check the oil when you fill you and add a splash as needed.
Please do let the collective here know what you find out!
Good Luck

Not good. But, if it were me I would buy a quart of oil and ride. I would look under there and see if you can tell where it is coming from. It could be as simple as a slightly loose drain plug...especially if it is leaking when the bike is sitting still. IF it leaks more when the bike is running then there may be a leak at the seal on the filter, or (God forbid) the rear crankshaft seal. Not all oil leaks are a catastrophe. Keep the sump full and go see the dealer once you get back off the trip if you cant find the leak and stop it. I would not let that little bit of oil stop me, just check the oil when you fill you and add a splash as needed.
Please do let the collective here know what you find out!
Good Luck
Thank you. I did look under there and also tried to take some pics but I can't tell anything from them. I will try to detect whether it leaks when running. I'll get some oil tomorrow and head out for a little bit and keep a close eye on things. Worse comes to worse, I have roadside assistance, but shoot... I just want to ride.

Maybe I am too optimistic that a new bike, especially after first service, would be reliable? I'll keep you posted.

Thank you. I did look under there and also tried to take some pics but I can't tell anything from them. I will try to detect whether it leaks when running. I'll get some oil tomorrow and head out for a little bit and keep a close eye on things. Worse comes to worse, I have roadside assistance, but shoot... I just want to ride.

Maybe I am too optimistic that a new bike, especially after first service, would be reliable? I'll keep you posted.

Tim, my dealer mentioned that several Guzzi oil gaskets, are not just a copper crush ring. They actually use a rubber "seal" in addition to the crush ring. Apparently, it is easier that one might expect to damage this thin rubber seal. The dealer did mention that that will cause leaks. For what its worth, the oil filter is a PITA! as well. I cant imagine how you would get it off, or get it re tightened without the proper tool.
Hopefully, its just a small leak like i described. The picture you took shows drips that appear running to the "low" side of the oil pan. On the side stand both the drain plug and the filter are "higher" than that low edge. AF1 is a pretty good dealer, hopefully they can sort out the issue when you get back.
Enjoy the trip!

Did you check to see if the oil filter is dry? Run your finger around the drain bolt and filter to see if it oily. Picture looks like it black oil or maybe thats just the picture. What about drain tube coming from air filter? Just throwing some things out there. And if you can find a BMW car dealer they should have a oil filter cup to fit it. And some of them use the oil the Guzzi takes too.

For what it's worth here is my account of today's 500 mile journey.
motofiddle.com/2015/10/04/arkansas-good-news-and-bad-news/

What about the clear plastic tube hanging down from the air box.
It normally has a plug in it.
It hangs under the bike behind the engine.
If the plug is out, and the engine oil level was high after the service,
you could get a little oil coming down the tube.

Stephen

What about the clear plastic tube hanging down from the air box.
It normally has a plug in it.
It hangs under the bike behind the engine.
If the plug is out, and the engine oil level was high after the service,
you could get a little oil coming down the tube.

Stephen
I was hoping that would be the case. At a glance the one tube I saw hanging down was still clear and plug in tact. I will double check in the morning. Thanks.

Did you check to see if the oil filter is dry? Run your finger around the drain bolt and filter to see if it oily. Picture looks like it black oil or maybe thats just the picture. What about drain tube coming from air filter? Just throwing some things out there. And if you can find a BMW car dealer they should have a oil filter cup to fit it. And some of them use the oil the Guzzi takes too.
I am not entirely sure where the drain bolt is as it's hard to see under there. I'll look again in the morning when the sun comes up. Thanks

The manual says the oil should be high quality 10w 60. Does Guzzi use a synthetic? Is this something a regular auto parts store would carry? I just woke up at 4:30am thinking about this. =/

It is synthetic. Have you smelled the oil to verify it is engine and not gear? I definately would check the drain bolt and filter. My Guzzi filter was the first one in years that the rubber gasket stayed on the motor when I changed oil last. Fortunately I caught it. If the filter is leaking my money would be the old gasket is there or the new one shifted. There are several aftermarket filters available at parts store such as NAPA that you could put on if it is real bad. They probably even have a wrench. If you can turn the filter by hand you found your problem. My Norge used the old style Guzzi filter and when the second one leaked I threw my spare $26 oil filter away and went to NAPA. No trouble with the filter on the 1400.

I tried turning the oil filter by hand and it is pretty tight and does not have any oil on it. I tried to feel around for the drain plug but can't seem to find it even after looking at the service manual. Will keep tryingalthough there is only a drop or two coming from that area.

I am not sure about the smell of the engine oil compared to the gearbox oil but I did make what seems to be a significant discovery. The main leak seems to be coming from this little nodule or spout or drain hole. Don't know what to call it.

Is there supposed to be a drain hose with a plug on this? There is already a transparent hose with a plug coming from somewhere else.

Is this an engine oil spout or gear box or what? It is somewhat towards the rear of the bike and not too close to the filter area. THis may be good news in that I may just be missing a hosewith plug? Don't quite know.

I just looked again and actually saw a drop coming out of that spout (I wish I knew what to call it). Buyt I also saw some oil above it on a boxy looking part. I checked to see if it was running down to that spout and leaking off it but it seems like it wasn't. I didn't feel any oil between the two places.

Last edited:
Is there supposed to be a drain hose with a plug on this?
Tim, yes, that is the air box/breather system for the crankcase. How is your oil level on the bike? It was likely over-filled, and this is excess. The drain plug in on the rear base of the engine block, straight back from the filter, and centered in the oil pan. Doesn't sound like it's the issue.

Tim, yes, that is the air box/breather system for the crankcase. How is your oil level on the bike? It was likely over-filled, and this is excess. The drain plug in on the rear base of the engine block, straight back from the filter, and centered in the oil pan. Doesn't sound like it's the issue.
Hey Todd. Forgive my ignorance. I just want to clarify what you said.

Are you saying that the drain plug on the rear base... is NOT the issue? And that the air box breather for the crankcase IS the issue? And that the engine oil was likely overfilled?

And am I missing a hose with plug or is it just supposed to drain if overfilled? If it was overfilled will it correct itself or what action would I need to take?

Btw I think I donated to your site but if I didn't I certainly will. If I did then I will donate again. The help here is invaluable.

Tim,
The clear hose with the plug in it comes from the air box, that collects oil blow-by and that is normal.
The part your showing, in your latest posted photo, is what the manual calls the "the lower protection part of the ABS control unit"(page # 346). I would think if anything is leaking out of that drain it most likely is brake fluid, but by the color in your posted photos it doesn't look like brake fluid. If it's oil, it might be getting blown in there from some place at the rear of the motor, at riding speeds and working it's way out.

Last edited:
Tim,
The clear hose with the plug in it comes from the air box, that collects oil blow-by and that is normal.
The part your showing, in your latest posted photo, is what the manual calls the "the lower protection part of the ABS control unit"(page # 346). I would think if anything is leaking out of that drain it most likely is brake fluid, but by the color in your posted photos it doesn't look like brake fluid. If it's oil, it might be getting blown in there from some place at the rear of the motor, at riding speeds and working it's way out.
Thanks for the response! Yes, there is a clear hose with a plug in it that doesn't seem to be a culprit.

I checked the brake fluid levels as you indicated. Not sure about the front brake as I see no line. It is either full or empty. I rode it around the parking lot and the brake felt fine. THe rear brake fluid looks good.

I moved the bike to check the progress of leakage. It has been sitting in a new spot for a few hours and the leaking seems to have subsided. Not sure what to make of that. I want to take a ride to heat up the oil and check the level again.

It looks like that if that fitting is the one pictured below, it should have a drain tube #20 in the attached image below. It's the base of the battery tray/Evap cann & breather assy. I'm leaning more towards my post above. I'm not saying the drain plug isn't the issue, so be sure to check it, but that it may likely be a what I stated above about an overfill.

The fact that it is slowing makes me lean towards Todd's idea of an overfill. Do not fill the oil to the top of the marks on the dipstick. I keep mine in the middle and it has used none since I have had it. Hold the bike level and get a good light so you can see the oil on the stick.

Todd that #20 seems to be in tact and not looking suspect. I think FIRSTMG may have identified the part but I am not having trouble with the brakes.

Referring to abbienormal (love young frankenstein) reply, it has not only slowed leaking but after a 10 mile ride to Whole Foods and being here for the last 45 minutes, there is not a drop under the bike.

I checked the level. Although there is oil dripping from the dipstick when i remove it, it is still hard to tell where the level is. Maybe it has leaked all it can leak? I suspect the level is low but wouldn't be positive until I could put some oil in and recheck. Can't do that until tomorrow and that is if I can find a shop that has the oil. No auto parts store open here today carries synthetic 10w 60.

Sincere thanks for all the input here.

Edit: Btw, it rides fine and I don't hear any suspicious sounds the last ten miles.

Back