• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak after 500 mile trip

It looks like that if that fitting is the one pictured below, it should have a drain tube #20 in the attached image below. It's the base of the battery tray/Evap cann & breather assy. I'm leaning more towards my post above. I'm not saying the drain plug isn't the issue, so be sure to check it, but that it may likely be a what I stated above about an overfill.
View attachment 9159

Guys, look carefully at the exploded diagram Todd posted. Look at part #7...there is a small nipple extending down from the left front lower corner of this box. IF (its a Guzzi, thats a big if) IF Tim's bike is like mine, the clear tube that catches the blow by extends down from this nipple. This nipple is BETWEEN the air filter and the throttle body. The nipple Tim photographed is AT THE BACK of the battery box, in the corner on the left side sort of UNDER the battery by the frame cross-member. I always thought it was just a water drain and mine, like Tim's, has no hose. THE DIAGRAM IS INCORRECT. Hose # 20 attaches to air box #7, NOT the battery box/front part of the fender.
If Tim is getting oil out of the back nipple, that could mean that his drain tube is full (or otherwise blocked) and the blowby is running out of the air box down into the battery box. It is possible the filter half of the air box is not seated correctly, and the oil is just running down and dripping out at the lowest point. Anyone who has done it knows that seating that filter correctly and getting the clips from hell clipped correctly is a huge PITA.
I believe Todd's analysis is correct, I can't see any other way to get oil into that battery box area.
Kirk

In my experience, the capacity of the engine oil of 4.01 litres stated in the manual is far too much to replace when doing an oil change, even with the oil filter being changed as well. I only get about 3.0 litres in before the oil level comes up to an acceptable level for me, which is half way between the lower and upper lines on the dipstick.

So, if someone has followed the owner's manual to the letter, then there's up to a litre of overfill, most of which will end up in the airbox. It's not easy to get at the airbox, the battery has to come out, before the airbox can be opened, and those clips that hold the two halves of the airbox together are a pain in the butt to get access to.

In my case, on a new bike that was overfilled when sold, the drain hose (with the bung in the end) had detached itself from the airbox. To replace required me to remove the airbox completely, which involved removing a full fuel tank, which is not an easy job in itself. Not the sort of job you want to attempt on the road. Because your drain is not filling with this oil, I'm suggesting that your hose has detached itself at the airbox too.

Where is the oil level on the dipstick now? If over my suggestion of half way between the lower and upper lines, I would suck some oil out until it was at this level, and then just ride. More oil will still leak out, as the excessive amount is likely to still be accumulated in the airbox, but it should eventually subside.

Have a look at your service invoice, and see how much engine oil you were charged for. This might give an indication of the scenario I've painted above being a possibility.

Truly remarkable insight by you all.

Previously I stated that the hose didn't look suspect. I looked again just now to see if it was detached. It feels snug enough. However it does look suspect after all. Have a look. Does it look clogged?

Also here is what the oil level looks like. It looks low or empty. I just can't tell. I laid it on a kleenex to see. If I was low on oil would I get a warning light? (I'll look up warning lights right now)

You won't get a warning light until you're out of oil. You don't want to see that. Your dipstick doesn't seem to show any oil level, indicating that you're running low. Try inserting it again after you've wiped it clean.

Drain the hose by removing the bung. Note how much oil comes out. This hose should be drained regularly.

You won't get a warning light until you're out of oil. You don't want to see that. Your dipstick doesn't seem to show any oil level, indicating that you're running low. Try inserting it again after you've wiped it clean.

Drain the hose by removing the bung. Note how much oil comes out. This hose should be drained regularly.
Thank you. Will do.

This pic was after wiping it clean. Going to drain the hose now.

Should I seek a mechanic tomorrow or do you think I can get by with keeping oil with me and continuously checking the the level while traveling? I won't hold anyone responsible if anything happens. Just curious as to what any of you would do.

I agree with "Touringman". I sucks to have an oil leak in a new bike and it WILL be corrected. However, it doesn't have to ruin your trip. Get some oil ASAP and add as needed.

FYI, some people here, have said they check the oil level with the bike vertical, blah, blah, blah. When the level is correct under manufacturer recommended conditions they place the bike back on the side stand. Then they remove the dipstick (bike on side stand) and observe oil level under this condition and make a small notch on the dipstick at the indicated place where the oil reaches. Then you can more easily see the oil level on that black dipstick, PLUS you can check it while on the side stand. This may make it easier for you to keep track of oil level while on the road.

Worse comes to worse, I have roadside assistance, but shoot... I just want to ride.

Maybe I am too optimistic that a new bike, especially after first service, would be reliable? I'll keep you posted.

No, you have every reason to expect a NEW bike to NOT LEAK fluids. PLUS, it must be reliable. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

No, you have every reason to expect a NEW bike to NOT LEAK fluids. PLUS, it must be reliable. Anything less is completely unacceptable.
Thanks, Dave. I had a lot of confidence on this first 500 mile leg of the journey. That confidence is seriously deflated now.

I will acquire some oil tomorrow and creep towards Chatanooga where the Guzzi site says there is a dealer. I'll call to make sure. Chattanooga is a stop on my route. It's 400 miles and I am concerned but I'll check the levels every hour.

And thanks for the advice on how to check the level. I have been checking it while sitting on it and holding it straight. Easy enough. But I'll try that method when I add oil tomorrow.

And thanks for the advice on how to check the level. I have been checking it while sitting on it and holding it straight. Easy enough. But I'll try that method when I add oil tomorrow.

Tim,

My California Custom is my first non-japanese motorcycle. I am still learning the differences between MG and Yamaha. So far, from what I can see, Yamaha has no worries of competition from MG. That said, I do appreciate many of the smart things I have seen designed into my California.

Best of luck to you. Try to remember that this is the kind of thing that you will make this trip something to remember. :)

Tim,

My California Custom is my first non-japanese motorcycle. I am still learning the differences between MG and Yamaha. So far, from what I can see, Yamaha has no worries of competition from MG. That said, I do appreciate many of the smart things I have seen designed into my California.

Best of luck to you. Try to remember that this is the kind of thing that you will make this trip something to remember. :)
I have to say you are absolutely right. Even with this drama on the second day I am still excited about my adventure. I mean, what the hell? I always like having my ducks in a row but I still enjoy being kicked out of my comfort zone. Troubleshooting 500 miles from home and the next step is to go another 400 to a dealer? Exciting stuff.

I had a friend tell me that my account of the 500 miles I rode yesterday is more than a lot of people experience in a whole riding season.

My first three bikes were Suzuki and 2 Hondas. Most reliable. Next two bikes, Harleys. 74 Superglide and 84 Sporty. Not reliable. Next bike was a 95 Triumph Thunderbird, triple. Still a pain in the ass to keep running.THe Cali is the first new bike I have bought since the firsat Honda in 1984. I really thought buying new would yield a trouble free experience. Ah well.

All that said, I have really bonded with the bike. I love riding it. We are family and we will see each other through.

Once again, thank you for your insight and advice, all of you. It is very uplifting to have a tribe such as yourselves.

If your having trouble seeing the oil level on the black dipstick get you a Kleenex or some toilet paper and when you pull it out lay it on the paper and the oil will make its mark there. Looks to me like that tube from the air filter is full of oil. What speeds you running on the highways?

If your having trouble seeing the oil level on the black dipstick get you a Kleenex or some toilet paper and when you pull it out lay it on the paper and the oil will make its mark there. Looks to me like that tube from the air filter is full of oil. What speeds you running on the highways?
Thanks, I have done just that. Used a kleenex to determone the level. Pretty sure my level is extremely low. I was running speeds contantly of 70 to 75 mph but sometimes 80 - 85 when traffic was flowing.

I let the oil out of that tube and it was a small puddle. I plan on getting some oil and heading towards Chattanooga dealership tomorrow. Hope I make it.

Tim,

Did you get over to the dealer? If so, were they able to shed any light on your oil drips?

I suspect, as others have already mentioned, that the folks who did your initial service over filled the engine oil. Hope that's it!

Tim,

Did you get over to the dealer? If so, were they able to shed any light on your oil drips?

I suspect, as others have already mentioned, that the folks who did your initial service over filled the engine oil. Hope that's it!
Dave there is no dealer within 400 miles of Little Rock. I just got off the phone with roadside assistance and after the $300 deductible I still have to pay $1,000 to get it towed there. I would like to avoid that expense if possible.

I wonder if I can make it there if I just buy some oil and check it every hour on the way.

Did you recheck the oil level as mentioned above? Clean dip stick, hold bike level, insert stick (not screwing in) and then use a tissue to see where the level is? You say the photo above is after wiping it off which shows no oil. If it is showing no oil I would find a good synthetic of as close as possible grade and ride to the dealer. Some people run 20w-50 in the bike so toss a bit of that in if it is low. Call the dealer in Chatanooga and give them an eta and see if they can fit you in for a quick look see. If it has quit leaking I am thinking you are safe if oil shows on the stick.
I'll be riding through Chatanooga probably Friday. Hopefully not stopping like you!

I don't have AAA and not sure if they would offer any better towing concession than my own insurance ($250) or MG's roadside assistance ($300). I am looking at a $1300 towing expense to Sloan's in Tennessee. I just got off the phone with the BMW dealer in Little Rock and they have the correct oil I need. Thinking hard about limping to Sloan's and checking the oil every hour.

Did you recheck the oil level as mentioned above? Clean dip stick, hold bike level, insert stick (not screwing in) and then use a tissue to see where the level is? You say the photo above is after wiping it off which shows no oil. If it is showing no oil I would find a good synthetic of as close as possible grade and ride to the dealer. Some people run 20w-50 in the bike so toss a bit of that in if it is low. Call the dealer in Chatanooga and give them an eta and see if they can fit you in for a quick look see. If it has quit leaking I am thinking you are safe if oil shows on the stick.
I'll be riding through Chatanooga probably Friday. Hopefully not stopping like you!
Yes I have checked the oil and it looks like it is low to empty. BMW has the 10w 60 synthetic and I am on my way over to get a bunch. Then I think I will head East towards Nashville and the MG dealer and check oil levels every hour.

Yes I have checked the oil and it looks like it is low to empty. BMW has the 10w 60 synthetic and I am on my way over to get a bunch. Then I think I will head East towards Nashville and the MG dealer and check oil levels every hour.

Tim,

Regardless of what you need to spend to get to a dealer, buy additional oil, etc. DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Save all receipts. Continue to report here (this is also documentation). If you discover that the people who performed your 500 mile service screwed up, give them the bill for the expenses when you get home. It could be that you have a REAL problem, but this continues to sound like a shop error (overfill, gasket missing or too many gaskets, etc.)

Best of luck to you!

Tim,

Regardless of what you need to spend to get to a dealer, buy additional oil, etc. DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Save all receipts. Continue to report here (this is also documentation). If you discover that the people who performed your 500 mile service screwed up, give them the bill for the expenses when you get home. It could be that you have a REAL problem, but this continues to sound like a shop error (overfill, gasket missing or too many gaskets, etc.)

Best of luck to you!
Thanks so much. I have a lot to say to my dealer already. I just hope I can continue my journey. Sucks that this all happens when stores are all closed.

Back