• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak after 500 mile trip

I see no reason why you could not ride it to the dealer.
That said, in the photo you posted it looks like you are over-filled with oil. It is hard to tell from a photo, but the stick looks wet at least to the top on the full mark and perhaps higher than that.
It is hard to tell with those cheap black plastic dip sticks. I personally like to drill a few holes in the range to help see the oil level.
Over filled looks and sounds like your issue. That would cause the clear tube to collect oil and it could also cause oil to drip out as it tries to get ride of the unwanted extra oil.

I see no reason why you could not ride it to the dealer.
That said, in the photo you posted it looks like you are over-filled with oil. It is hard to tell from a photo, but the stick looks wet at least to the top on the full mark and perhaps higher than that.
It is hard to tell with those cheap black plastic dip sticks. I personally like to drill a few holes in the range to help see the oil level.
Over filled looks and sounds like your issue. That would cause the clear tube to collect oil and it could also cause oil to drip out as it tries to get ride of the unwanted extra oil.

How do you drill the holes? With a drill is not an accptable answer! :rofl: I am wondering if you just drill a line of small holes in one side or through the center? I thought of that but figured fighting to read the stick beat the end breaking off.

How do you drill the holes? With a drill is not an accptable answer! :rofl: I am wondering if you just drill a line of small holes in one side or through the center? I thought of that but figured fighting to read the stick beat the end breaking off.
Other than the obvious "I used a drill", I drilled small holes through the flats, staggering them as I went down (or up) the stick so that the holes were spaced out and not going to noticeably weaken the stick. I would drill them at the top of the range, the middle of the range, and the bottom of the range. The holes help you see the oil. Replacing the dip stick with a metal one is a better option but drilling holes is free. I find I can see the level fine with the holes.
Something I don't know about the new Cali is, are you supposed to check the level with the dip stick screwed in or not screwed in?
Whichever, the problem does look like an over-filled motor. It is not that uncommon.

Page 169 of the owners manual:

To check:
THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECK MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE ENGINE WARM AND WITH THE DIPSTICK INSERTED BUT NOT SCREWED IN.

I hate this new trend with bikes to check the oil with the motor warm. I wouldn't be surprised if that is responsible for an increase in over-filled motors. If you don't wait long enough after shutting the motor off the oil reading can be lower than it actually is.

Howdy folks! I am now in Memphis. I rode somewhat conservatively and kept an eye on the oil. My dealer mechanic apparently caught wind of the situation and emailed me. Really put my mind at ease. Nothing major going on with the bike. Too tired to go into details but I feel better and my trip is saved. On to the Smokey Mountains in a few days

Really disappointed to hear that MG roadside assistance is a $1,300 bill. That is just nuts and frankly unacceptable. I didn't read that fine print when I bought my bike and no one mentioned out of pocket costs.

If you're low on oil, I don't see how this is an overfill situation. If it was, it would lose oil through the breather until the oil level was where it is supposed to be. It wouldn't keep going until low on oil. Hope this all works out for you and I look forward to hearing about the resolution.

By the way, the holes I put in my dip stick to help read it were small, I think they were 1/16" holes.

As to the OP being low on oil, I have not seen anything solid to indicate he is low on oil.
The one picture he posted showed a very oily dipstick., but they are hard to read.

Howdy folks! I am now in Memphis. I rode somewhat conservatively and kept an eye on the oil. My dealer mechanic apparently caught wind of the situation and emailed me. Really put my mind at ease. Nothing major going on with the bike. Too tired to go into details but I feel better and my trip is saved. On to the Smokey Mountains in a few days

Good news Tim. Glad to read that you can now relax and enjoy the rest of your ride!

Reading about the waiting time till you check the level is what I thought of last night while checking mine before my trip. If he did not let the bike sit long enough after stopping it will read low. I have found checking mine first thing before the ride gives an almost identical, I can't tell any difference, reading as jumping through the "start it, warm it, ride, shut off, rub your belly, count Pi to the 1,000th decimal point then check the oil procedure mentioned in the manual.
Glad all worked out. I'll be in Snowshoe, WV tonight and the Smokey's tomorrow. Not sure where and don't care.

In my experience and opinion the only motors that should be checked warm for oil level are dry sump motors. A wet sump motor, like all my Guzzi's are, should be checked cold. I have no idea why anyone would check it warm. I don't know why the factory tells you to check it warm. But that is one procedure I would ignore. The only reason you don't check dry sump motors cold is that they tend to drain back down into the engine after sitting, so you need to run the motor to be sure all the oil is in the sump. On a wet sump motor it doesn't make sense to check the oil after running the motor.
I hope that is all the OP's problem was.

I arrived at Sloan's south of Nashville around 1:30 this afternoon. They are going to look at it right away since I am on the road.

The guy here agreed with what my guy in Austin said about the crankcase breather, etc.

Ok the mechanic just came and told me I have too much oil in the bike. Sux because it had rectified itself and since I couldn't read the level I added some yesterday. He's going to show me how it looks when the level is tight.

I asked about riding it 10 miles before checking it and he said just warm it up for a few minutes, let it settle for a few minutes and then check it.

It looks like I'll be on the road to Chattanooga. Sorry for all the Guzzi newbie drama. I really appreciate all the input.

Cheers to Sloan's for taking care of me and also to AF1 Racing in Austin for getting in touch.

Back