• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Blinded by the lights

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi,

Does anyone else find that other road-users get dazzled by the stelvio headlights?

I've had numerous cars travelling at night flash me as if they think I've got the full-beam on (which I don't). I'm all for being seen, and think they're the sexiest headlights going, but I'm not really up for pissing people off.

How simple is it to lower the beam?

there is 2 screws under the headlights, kneel down and look up, should be a simple matter to adjust, someone might have thought they where loose and tried to tighten them up, don't ask how i came to that conclusion:)

Do you have the AUX lights on as well?

I had the same problem all the time, night and day. Once I flash them back they get the idea.

Finally got sick and tired of it so I wired the AUX lights into high beam and put some LED driving lights in place. Now if the flash the headlights when I'm on low beam they get the full blast back.

I put some of the ("+130% brighter") Philips Extreme Vision bulbs in - and they are bright, and 3700K. I was getting some flashes from oncoming traffic, but did find after checking that the adjustment on the lights was too high when the bike was loaded (fuel, rider, etc). Easy to check and worth doing.
I've since switched to the Crystal Vision (4000K) bulbs, for a slightly whiter light, but tempted to try the Diamond Vision (5000K) next time.

I put some of the ("+130% brighter") Philips Extreme Vision bulbs in - and they are bright, and 3700K. I was getting some flashes from oncoming traffic, but did find after checking that the adjustment on the lights was too high when the bike was loaded (fuel, rider, etc). Easy to check and worth doing.
I've since switched to the Crystal Vision (4000K) bulbs, for a slightly whiter light, but tempted to try the Diamond Vision (5000K) next time.

You may want to do a little more research on bulb temperature. From what I've read, the higher the temperature the more blue the light. But is is less usable/functional in illuminating the road with the best viewing coming from around 4000K. It has been awhile since I looked at this so my memory may have faded, but it wouldn't hurt to look. Quick search found this. http://headlightretrofits.com/bulbs-info/hid-kelvin-color/

You may want to do a little more research on bulb temperature. From what I've read, the higher the temperature the more blue the light. But is is less usable/functional in illuminating the road with the best viewing coming from around 4000K. It has been awhile since I looked at this so my memory may have faded, but it wouldn't hurt to look. Quick search found this. http://headlightretrofits.com/bulbs-info/hid-kelvin-color/

Indeed you are correct John - the higher the temperature ("K") the whiter the light, but not brighter.
The 4000K bulbs I have currently are quite good balance. Certainly not as bright at the ExtremeVision - but those are made to really pump out some serious light (hence their +130% claim, but still just 55w) - I do recommend them to others that complain about the (lack of) light on their bikes.

Do you have the AUX lights on as well?

I had the same problem all the time, night and day. Once I flash them back they get the idea.

Finally got sick and tired of it so I wired the AUX lights into high beam and put some LED driving lights in place. Now if the flash the headlights when I'm on low beam they get the full blast back.

but they are flashing you because your low beam lights are too bright and it is distracting and probably blinding to then, it does not matter that you can go even brighter, what your saying to them is hey, i know my lights are to bright and a bother, but don't flash me cause i will unleash a small sun on you.

if you can't make your light cut off line trunk level on anything made in the last 20 years then you are the problem.

Make sure your rear suspension isn't too low.
Adjust from underneath the headlight to lower the low beam. Basically, get the HIGH beam in the right place, and the low beam should be right. I found on the Stelvio that it was easy to mis-adjust the low too high, then the high beam was really up in the trees.
Yes, I have been sitting out on a dark country road in the middle of the night, with a philips head screwdriver, adjusting lights. :happy:
I work a late shift so headlights are critical to me. I installed HID hi/lo bulbs, so adjustment was even more critical. I never get anyone flashing me for blinding them. if I follow a car, my low beams barely light their bumper. But when the late night drunks leave their high beam on and blind me, I blast them for a second with the twin HIDs and the LED aux lights. They get the point real fast. :devil:

I have adjusted the lights on my Norge and still get flashed. 25 feet away and level is what I have always set my lights at. I purchased the bike used so I don't know what bulbs are installed but they are not HID. I had HID on my last bike and loved them. Never got flashed with the HID lights adjusted correctly.

I have adjusted the lights on my Norge and still get flashed. 25 feet away and level is what I have always set my lights at. I purchased the bike used so I don't know what bulbs are installed but they are not HID. I had HID on my last bike and loved them. Never got flashed with the HID lights adjusted correctly.

While HIDs may be attractive, they are not suitable for the Norge in most cases. First, the H1/H3 bulbs are more difficult to find than H4s or some other types. Next, the either/or setup of the low/high beams means that when switching, you will suffer the HID warm-up delay in both directions. HID ballasts take a moment to get the bulb into operation, and that leads to a few seconds of low illumination whenever you switch between high and low or low to high. Even if you only convert the high beams, you will have little light when switching to high, immediately after being dazzled by oncoming headlights of a passing vehicle.

If you want to strengthen light on the Norge, I'd opt for LED auxiliaries of some kind.

but they are flashing you because your low beam lights are too bright and it is distracting and probably blinding to then, it does not matter that you can go even brighter, what your saying to them is hey, i know my lights are to bright and a bother, but don't flash me cause i will unleash a small sun on you.

if you can't make your light cut off line trunk level on anything made in the last 20 years then you are the problem.

Sorry but your wrong, I'm not the problem, the lights are adjusted correctly. I have even adjusted them lower than what is recommended. They are below the 'trunk' level as you call it.

I thought it was the AUX lights that was causing the 'problem' with other people flashing me so I turned them off but the flashing still continued. Maybe it's because in Australia the Stelvio has BOTH light on when on low beam, I don't know, maybe some people have sensitive eyes. I haven't changed the stock bulbs so you tell me.

I don't wish to 'unleash a small sun' on people for fun, it happens because I wanted decent lights to drive in this country at night. You obviously haven't driven in the Australian country at night and seen how many kangaroos there really are here. So the obvious solution to this problem was to use the AUX lights as driving lights and wiring them into the high beam to make them legal. The down side is when people flash me to tell me they think my lights are too bright they get the 'small sun' in return.

Sorry but your wrong, I'm not the problem, the lights are adjusted correctly. I have even adjusted them lower than what is recommended. They are below the 'trunk' level as you call it.

I thought it was the AUX lights that was causing the 'problem' with other people flashing me so I turned them off but the flashing still continued. Maybe it's because in Australia the Stelvio has BOTH light on when on low beam, I don't know, maybe some people have sensitive eyes. I haven't changed the stock bulbs so you tell me.

I don't wish to 'unleash a small sun' on people for fun, it happens because I wanted decent lights to drive in this country at night. You obviously haven't driven in the Australian country at night and seen how many kangaroos there really are here. So the obvious solution to this problem was to use the AUX lights as driving lights and wiring them into the high beam to make them legal. The down side is when people flash me to tell me they think my lights are too bright they get the 'small sun' in return.
I don't see how anything you said shows that the other guy, grinmaul, is "wrong".
Whatever the reason, your lights seem to be affecting others to the point that they flash you thinking you forgot to turn off your high beams. Your response to show them how bright your high beam setting really is is childish and possibly dangerous. Do you get the same issue when you are riding / driving other vehicles? Do other drivers often flash you then or is it just when you are riding this bike. If the later, clearly there is something not right.
Be that as it may, whatever the reason for people flashing you thinking your high beams are on flashing them back with an overly bright high beam of your own is at best childish.

Last edited:
Is your bike OZ / UK compliant for riding on the left? If it's a Euro or North America headlight unit (or bike), it will have a right drive pattern which puts way more light to the right than left.

That said, I rode a Euro headlight bike in Japan for three years and never had any flashing or light issues.

The reason is that many of the early Stelvios had European (LHD) headlamp reflector dishes. Mine failed the first mot due to this. Haywards knew about this and supplied me two bits of tin that fitted inside the headlamp, around the base of the lamp and extended an arm about 25mm long and 5mm wide along side the lamp. I was having exactly the same problem as Chadlebowski. Trouble is that Piaggio UK pissed of Haywards so much with all the Stelvio cam issues that they are no longer a dealer so you can't ask them any more. You can make your own from a biscuit tin as I found out when I lost one.

The reason is that many of the early Stelvios had European (LHD) headlamp reflector dishes. Mine failed the first mot due to this. Haywards knew about this and supplied me two bits of tin that fitted inside the headlamp, around the base of the lamp and extended an arm about 25mm long and 5mm wide along side the lamp. I was having exactly the same problem as Chadlebowski. Trouble is that Piaggio UK pissed of Haywards so much with all the Stelvio cam issues that they are no longer a dealer so you can't ask them any more. You can make your own from a biscuit tin as I found out when I lost one.

I actually run with my High beams and Aux lights during the day. I have had on coming traffic flash me and even people yell at me going threw an intersection about my bright lights.... My comment back was " yes they are bright, but you saw me didn't you.
When my kids started riding the first rule I told them was. YOU ARE INVISIBLE and if buy chance they do see you they are likely trying run you off the road.

"YOU ARE INVISIBLE and if buy chance they do see you they are likely trying run you off the road."
Perhaps they are trying to run you off the road because your lights are blinding them.
Thanks for making the rest of us look like dicks.

I think the jist of it is that your actions are selfish in the extreme.
How do you like it when a car or bike blinds you on an unlit road?
Have you considered why all over the world it is considered good practice not to blind the driver approaching you with your lights.
Perhaps everyone else is wrong, carry on.

I think the jist of it is that your actions are selfish in the extreme.
How do you like it when a car or bike blinds you on an unlit road?
Have you considered why all over the world it is considered good practice not to blind the driver approaching you with your lights.
Perhaps everyone else is wrong, carry on.
During the daytime my high beams and aux shouldn't blind anyone. If I ride at dusk or after dark my highbeams are off and the Aux lights are on as need.
I personally would like to be seen. Especially with sun behind me.
As for incorrectly adjusted lights that is a problem and likley make it harder for the rider see the road and ditches at night.
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just posting what how I run my lights.
It would be a dick move to blind oncoming traffic with your lights , highbeam, or aftermarket.

Last edited:
I actually run with my High beams and Aux lights during the day. I have had on coming traffic flash me and even people yell at me going threw an intersection about my bright lights....
Why do you think they are yelling at you if your lights aren't blinding or otherwise affecting them?
If your lights are such that they are bothering others to the extent that they feel compelled to yell at you that makes me think that your lights are not right. I understand the desire to be seen, but you yourself point out something to the effect of that even if you think people see you always assume they don't.
Being seen is good. Annoying others is not. Interfering with other peoples ability to safely operate their vehicle, or pissing them off to where they may not exercise good judgement, seems like a bad idea.

Back