• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

oil filter removal

Chadlebowski

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I'm really struggling with removing the 8 fluted, 76mm oil filter from my 2008 stelvio.

I have a wrench that gives a snug fit, but it doesn't shift the filter! Any ideas? Could I try packing out the wrench with a rag, or a rubber band? Last resort would be to drive two screws into the underside, brace them with a piece of metal, and pray that gives me enough leverage to crack the damn thing.

Has anyone else toiled with this before? Can anyone give me any useful advice? Please?

I had a lot of problems with my Griso 1100. My filter socket would slip. I visited the NAPA auto parts shop and came away with this filter wrench. The arms just clear the oil pan.

th

Now I've learned to purchase the filter wrench from the same provider as the filter. Apparently the wrenches are filter brand-specific.

The above filter wrench will NOT work with my 2013 Stelvio. The filter is recessed all the way into the oil pan and there isn't enough room on the sides to get the arms up around the filter.

What I did was to put some rubber tape (about 1/8" thick) around the inside edge of the filter wrench and that gave me enough friction to take the filter off.

That is why I don't use the 8 flute filters anymore. UFI went to a 14 flute filter to eliminate this problem since the 8 flutes used to leak so they would tend to be overtightened, but went to my dealer to pick up more and looks like the OEM from Piaggio are back to 8 flute. If you buy them directly from UFI they are 14 flute...go figure.

Assuming you have the 8 flute filter wrench. If so, take a small piece of sandpaper and fold it in half and wedge it between the wrench and the filter in a couple of spots. May need to use a rubber mallet to get it on, but once it is on, it will grip it and take it off. When you put the new one on, I tighten it to the torque spec + a 1/4 turn. Never had an issue getting it off and never leaked.

The above filter wrench will NOT work with my 2013 Stelvio. The filter is recessed all the way into the oil pan and there isn't enough room on the sides to get the arms up around the filter.

What I did was to put some rubber tape (about 1/8" thick) around the inside edge of the filter wrench and that gave me enough friction to take the filter off.

The Griso has the filter recessed well into the pan also. I tried the tape system and it didn't work for me. The "3-finger" tool did fit even though it didn't look like it would fit.

I learned from the NAPA parts man to get filter-manufacture-specific wrenches. He told me that even though they were sized the same there was enough variation in filter construction so that the filter wrench for one manufacture's filter wouldn't work on other manufacture's filters of the same size and vice versa.

So that means with my Griso, now that I have the exact filter wrench I have to keep purchasing the same filter from now on.

I use the Bosch 3330n filter. The filter wrench for BMW oil heads and early K bikes fits them perfectly. BTW, Bosch makes teh filters for BMW, thus the perfect fit. Also you can use the BMW filter if you want to pay that much for one.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I thought perhaps a rubber band, or packing it out with gaffer tape, or even laying a rag inside the wrench. But the sandpaper does sound like a pretty good idea too.

Will try all of these over the weekend - and report back. Fingers crossed

If all else fails............
With a fairly chunky pozi screwdriver and using a hammer knock a hole through the bottom of the filter allowing the oil to drain. Then go as far to the edge of the filter as you can reach and drive the screwdriver in again at a 45 degree angle into the centre of the filter for around 2.5-3". Now just unscrew the filter using the screwdriver as a lever. Works on every brand of filter, no special tools required!

Thanks for all the advice. I succeeded in the end, using three strips of sand paper, folded over themselves to give grip on both sides, and then packed out the wrench with them, folding them over the top lip and bashing the wrench on with a rubber mallet. No slipping, first time!

On mine I resorted to drilling holes in the filter wrench/socket and screwing self tapping screws into the filter so that the wrench gripped.

Thanks for all the advice. I succeeded in the end, using three strips of sand paper, folded over themselves to give grip on both sides, and then packed out the wrench with them, folding them over the top lip and bashing the wrench on with a rubber mallet. No slipping, first time!

Excellent. What filter did you end up putting back on. The 8 flute or a 14 flute. If it was s an 8 flute just check for leaks after.

I just ordered some HiFlo HF551 filters as I can't get the 14 flute UFI anymore. It is an alternative to the UFI filter. Says right on the box that it replaces the Guzzi filter. It is a 14 flute and fits my wrench so good to go all around.

Back