• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated Grips Question

mark1960

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I bought my Stelvio 2nd hand. When I toggled through the menu the icon for heated grips comes up on the dash. I can set the temp but there is no heat at the grips whats so ever. Is this a common problem? Would the icons on the dash come on if the relay was in place but the grips were not fitted ? The two connectors under the tank fairing are connected. Anyone got any ideas? I have read that they dont get particularly hot but mine are stone cold as I found out riding through the Cairngorme national park during the wee small hours and it was a bit nippy :D

Do you have the wire going to the grips? It is easy to spot.

When you set the grip temperature, does the grip icon show up even in the normal odometer screen? If not you may not be 'holding' the button, which causes the new setting to 'stick', and the heat will not come on.

Wayne Orwig said:
Do you have the wire going to the grips? It is easy to spot.

When you set the grip temperature, does the grip icon show up even in the normal odometer screen? If not you may not be 'holding' the button, which causes the new setting to 'stick', and the heat will not come on.

Yup... I was not holding the mode switch to the right in order to "set" the grips to on when I was hooking up my grips... I suspect this would be a common error. The heat setting screen should go away when the grips turn on.

Took much time and trial till it was pointed out what I was doing wrong.. or just not doing. lol

It does sound like Mark may be doing the same thing I was.

Yep the temp setting stays on in the normal odometer screen supposodly to show they are operating. I see if I can trace the wires back to the grips. All the dedicated connections are connected fogligts etc so I cant figure it out unless they are just duff

Well it certainly fooled me. The two white connectors I spotted were not for the heated grips.There are no wires at the grips (as there were when I fitted them to my Breva) So why they can be 'switched on' at the handlebar control and why the heated grips icon stays on in the normal screen is a mystery. Might try disconnecting my fog lights tomorrow just to see if the icon still comes on when they are switched on. I got a relay with the fog lights and all the relay sockets are full so perhaps its just how its all wired together which fools the display into thinking there are heated grips because the relay is present?

Where the hell are the connectors for the heated grips and sat nav I've rooted about around the fairing frame on both sides and cut off the ties for the wiring on both sides so I can really dig about....but nothing. Does the tank fairing have to be removed to get at them? The ones either side for the fogs were easy to find

I had a hell of a time finding the wires for my grip heaters...
They ended up being above the right side jug.. just behind the frame.

817704012_iF3Px-M.jpg

here is the thread from when I was fighting with mine.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4264.html

Btw ... here is a good wiring diagram with correct colours to help identify stuff.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4342.html

Thats a bit further back than I have been looking. I will have a go tomorrow. Spoke to the previous owner this evening. He confirmed he had been not been anywhere near the heated grip connectors so I have no idea why the icon appears on the dash.

SUCCESS!!! Found the heated grip connectors. In the area Shrike said they were. I would have never have found them without the point in the right direction. When the grips arrive my wife is going to volunteer to connect them up. I have hands life shovels and getting the connectors together is going to be fiddly :D

anyone worked out how to turn the grips on / off when you are rolling - i find it a pain to have to stop when fingers are getting a touch to warm (or cold)

I'm thinking of replacing mine with an aftermarket unit or wiring what's there to a handlebar mounted controller. Not only is stopping to change the heat level a pain, I found the first two heat settings pretty much useless with the highest not quite hot enough for the mountain passes I travel over.

Does anybody else find the stock grips "weak"?

Flay said:
Does anybody else find the stock grips "weak"?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to. It appears to be the grips, as other brands hooked up to the factory controller get hotter.

Can you just buy aftermarket grips then wire them into the loom via the connectors shown in the pictures?

rusty

theclowncrusty said:
Can you just buy aftermarket grips then wire them into the loom via the connectors shown in the pictures?

rusty

That is what I did.
It makes a clean install, but to be honest, the onboard controller sucks. You have to be stopped in neutral to turn them on/off up/down. Pretty stupid.

I do not understand why they have it programmed that way. I have oxford grips wired into the stock controller and have no issue with the amount of heat produced but it would be nice to be able to adjust on the fly.

The OEM grips list for about $150.....Ouch...
Good quality aftermarket heated grips are about half that, and from what I read above actually work better.
Here's the question...
Do Oxfords have the same hookup plug; compatible with the OEM female connector? If not, where can I find Guzzi male 2 prong plugs?
I don't mind splicing a new plug on there: just need to know which type to buy.
Thanks !

anyone worked out how to turn the grips on / off when you are rolling - i find it a pain to have to stop when fingers are getting a touch to warm (or cold)
Maybe its the year but my 13 will turn them on and set temps while riding.

my 1200 sport is a 2008 model that i fitted guzzi heated grips to a few years ago and i can change temp setting when riding.??

Back