• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

I just put them on my bike. Unfortunately, when you order from Andreani, you get springs that are a bit stiff. I had the same problem with the Andreani cartridges I bought for my Dorsoduro. I've got the adjustment backed all the way out, but its not enough. I'm going to have to cut down one of those black spacers.

To install them, you need to remove a reducer on the inside of the forks. The instructions tell you to use a lathe to break the weld. I balked, but the North American distributor offered to install them at no charge. I sent him my forks and he installed them for me. Turn around time was about three weeks and the cost is actually around US$900.

The cartridges are awesome. Even with too much preload, the ride is really smooth.

I did specify the spring rate. The springs are just stiff, I guess.

Yes, the distributor stated that you could break the welds with a grinder, but free was hard to pass up.

What spring rates did you get and what's your weight w/gear?

Have any pictures of the fork caps? I take it one fork does comp the other rebound?

What spring rates did you get and what's your weight w/gear?

Have any pictures of the fork caps? I take it one fork does comp the other rebound?

210lbs / 160mm oil level // 8.3N/mm springs // Comp = 2 turns

// Rebound = 2 turns

Ohlins = 1309

Yes, one fork is compression, the other rebound. The caps are as the photo above.

At 210lbs 8.3 Nm is very light. Something is very strange. I wonder if you received the correct spring rate?

Usually 0.90 - 0.95 NM springs are used for the ~170lb rider to get ideal preload.

But should you?

That was one of many statements I found searching for info on the subject. My exposure to progressive springs is limited to the time I owned and rode a Triumph Scrambler. Almost everything my fellow Bonnevillians professed turned out to be a bad idea. Progressive springs, Hagon or Nitro shocks, etc. Their approach to everything was comfort related. Unfortunately, if you didn't ride in a straight line, handling continued to be pretty poor. I had no idea my bike was so bad until I traded it for a Street Triple with a fully adjustable suspension (linear springs, btw). I sold that bike and bought my first V7. It handled about as well as my Scrambler. Unfortunately, Moto Guzzi doesn't share the large aftermarket that Triumph has. Finding anything that would help was a chore. Todd has done more to help the V7 suspension than anyone else out there. He's put a lot of work into finding and offering good products. The fact that he does not offer progressive springs and Hagon shocks only confirms his commitment to offering quality upgrades for your bike.

Do what you want. Your bike. I can guarantee that it will never handle as well as a bike Todd has influenced.

I think progressive springs are common because a dealer can stock one spring and it will work for a fairly wide range of customers. Stocking straight rate springs means a dealer needs to handle a range of springs.
I don't like progressive springs, either. They can provide a more comfortable ride in some situations, but in my experience a proper set of straight rate springs will always work better.
KTM has put in considerable effort trying to make progressive springs work by developing progressive dampening. The jury is still out but so far KTM are not the gold standard for suspension. It is a tough task. They have not truly pulled it off. Does someone think they can do what KTM can't?
Some bikes come from the factory with a progressive spring stock. My Honda actually came stock with a progressive rear spring. That was simply a concession made to allow the rear suspension to perform for a wider range of rider weights, although that level of performance was lowered due to the nature of the progressive spring. If I keep the Honda that crap spring will have to go.

The shortest spacer was about 36mm.

I cut 7.5mm off it and reassembled the forks. I centered the preload adjustment before I put it back together. I ended up backing off the preload adjusters half a turn after all was said and done. I now have 43mm of dynamic sag. I think I'm done.

If it weren't so freakin' hot, I'd go for a ride.

Glad to hear you have your bike sorted. As I said before, there's all kinds of band-aid fixes. For those who don't mind spending money on well-engineered products, I've done all of the homework, and I offer the products on the online Store linked above.
Most decent companies won't update years of bikes until they see them personally. Makes good business sense.

There's tons of products out there, and Hagon is a known brand. The offerings I have in the Store are ones that I personally have bought and worked with the vendors to insure they work and fit properly, and in turn have begun offering them here. I'll be taking my V7 II to RT on August 10th, for them to build shocks and a fork kit (so that most anyone can even go around me to order - which happens often). The below shock can be had for $699 with preload adjust only - contact me direct. They are 100% Made in the U.S. CNC, custom-built shocks. Nothing cast, nor are they mass produced and put on the shelf, with (even more rare) simple spring swaps to suit; Valving and springs work hand-in-hand. You get what you pay for.

I'm working hard at not taking posts like this personally, as I invest a HUGE amount of time and money in what I offer here... and in fact, MOST of the products that are available for Guzzi here only exist because of this. I've levered my connections in the Industry, and journalistic connections to get this done.

Thanks Todd! Like so many other before me, i am now actively looking to update my own V7 ii Stone ABS suspension. I find that living in Brooklyn, and often riding the perilous BQE - i can never really relax because I am constantly worried about being thrown off my bike (160lbs). The shocks above are your recommendation? I know there are a lot of options out there, and that the subject ranges far and wide. I have really only scratched the surface as of yet, but am definitely looking for some guidance.

Out of ignorance, what is the major difference between the RT IFP shocks, and the RT Piggybacks? To be more specific, will the difference be wasted on a new rider?
The piggybacks offer compression adjustment (which gives more compliancy as well) , whereas the IFP's do not (rebound only). For a newer rider, I'd say it is not worth the additional expense unless you want the look.

Thanks Todd! Like so many other before me, i am now actively looking to update my own V7 ii Stone ABS suspension. I find that living in Brooklyn, and often riding the perilous BQE - i can never really relax because I am constantly worried about being thrown off my bike (160lbs). The shocks above are your recommendation? I know there are a lot of options out there, and that the subject ranges far and wide. I have really only scratched the surface as of yet, but am definitely looking for some guidance.

just and F.Y.I. I had the Biturbo's from the V7 Racer installed on my '15 V7 Stone and for me (at 170 lbs) they are perfect. The front has been done with RaceTech componets.

I had a test ride on a V7II at the National and I know what you mean about being thrown off the bike.

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks again for the information. When i order the RT shocks and fork kit (through you), at what point will i give my weight info? I only ask because I noticed it isn't on the product page.
Thanks, and from the Store page "Contact us with questions prior to ordering; Info at GuzziTech.com -OR- place your order and we will be in touch for details."

Zard-V7IISCRAMB.jpg

Is that an Ohlins shock? Is there an application for the V7 now?

Is that an Ohlins shock? Is there an application for the V7 now?
That image is *HEAVILY* Photoshopped. As of right now, there is no part # per se, though they likely can be custom built, but they won't be cheap. Contact me direct email for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com
Unrelated/related, I am now able to offer the Ital-Ohlins fully adjustable cartridge kits, which require fork modification on a lathe. Info HERE or click pic below:

Awesome to hear Ohlins is finally showing some love. Hope it has both rebound & comp adjustment.

Back