• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I got me a Griso, and I love it!

Renevator

Just got it firing!
Hi folks. Just introducing myself. I've recently acquired a rather lovely 2009 Griso 1100, and as you can guess, I'm enjpying the beginnings of what I hope will be a long ownership.
I've had a VFR750FR (interceptor as its known in The USA I understand) for 14 years, and it's been utterly brilliant. I won't bore you with the details, suffice to say the VFR has been completely stripped for a long term rebuild/custom project and as I had some savings, and recently secured a good job, I thought it was time I treated myself . So I started to look for something different to get me back on 2 wheels after a few years off.
Ive looked at all sorts, Japanese, German, British, and Italian, and although I've always thought the Griso a fabulous looking bike, I'd never really seriously considered it as an option, or rather thought it out of my reach. Then I saw this gorgeous red one on eBay and bought it.
I've had a couple of Le Mans 2's back in the 80's, so have always had a soft spot for the marque, and whilst I will never part with the VFR, having another Guzzi makes me feel like I've returned to my youth again, in some sense, and certainly makes me feel proud to own one.
I've been extraordinarily lucky to find this Griso. I only looked at this one, and I could not have bought better. It's a credit to the previous owner, utterly immaculate, with the initial add on's I would have wanted, all included in the sale. It's barely run in at 12,000 miles, and with that Termi sounds as gorgeous as it looks. The photos were taken from my viewing, so you can see why I bought it
I've only used it for a few days commuting, taking it easy, getting to know how it rides, feels and responds, but I've been surprised by a few things.
First off, it's way lighter and more manoeverable than I expected. The first time I rode a LeMans it felt like a bargeboard under water in comparison to the nimble GPZ550 I had before, so I was expecting the Griso to feel a fair bit longer, heavier and slower steering than my VFR, but it doesn't at all. I was also expecting the riding position and small screen to offer much less wind protection than it does. I thought riding at anything faster than 70mph would be hard work on my neck muscles, but again, it isn't. I feel quite comfortable at 90mph, even though I get buffeted more than with a faired bike.
Another aspect I'm surprised about is the engine. It doesn't feel like an 1100, and feels slower than the VFR. Obviously it's got a bit less BHP and delivers that power in a totally different way, and it's deceiving just how quickly it gets up speed. I love the way it makes progress without a lot of fluster, just a wonderful spread of torque with the accompanying stupendous soundtrack :)
It does drink fuel if you ride at 90-100 though doesn't it !!
Today I managed to get a couple of hours fettlung to set it up better for me. I felt the bars put my hands in an odd twisted in position, so rotated them back towards the seat, getting my hand flatter and straighter which I prefer. In doing so I had to move the throttle cables to exit under the bars because on full left lock they were stretching over the master cylinder with the bars raked back. It seems ok like this, but do let me know if I've committed a cardinal sin in resetting the bars. Ultimately I think I'd prefer slightly narrower, lower bars. sportier but still comfy, so interested to hear of anyone who has done a bar conversion.
The suspension settings from previous owner are way too hard for me, lightweight that I am. I've not been able to get some one else to help me set static and rider sag today, so it will all need a proper set up very soon, to help give me confidence in the handling.
If anyone has some base settings for an approx 70kg rider I'd be interested to know. I'm working on setting the sag to 30-35mm rear and min 30mm front and taking it from there with factory compression and rebound settings and then making adjustments from there to fine tune it. It will be interesting to see just how "right" I can get the Griso to feel for me. the cheats way of course would be to hand it over to Maxton and get it al, set up with some of their fabulous kit, but that's a few years down the line I reckon.
As it is, I love it. It's got it's quirks for sure, the shaft drive although light years ahead of my old LeMans takes some getting used to over super smooth chain, it isn't as easily practical as the VFR, just needs more thought, but it's got character in abundance, is plenty fast enough for this old coot, rides beautifully even now, and looks so damn fine! I'm so glad they haven't completely ironed out the essential Guzzi character like the original LeMans, in the way it gently rocks on tickover and generally feels and sounds alive and not just efficient. It's given me a lot of owner satisfaction already, and I've not even scratched the surface of possibilities with this fabulous motorcycle.
I'm so chuffed to be a Guzzi owner again
Great forum too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 88
Great first post, and welcome back to the Guzzi Famiglia, and to the Forum here, thanks. Hope you'll add your info to the Registry page here in this section (I moved your post from Europe to here). 2009 was the first year for the 1200 8V engine most everywhere, so wondering if your model is older production. Posting your VIN # will tell us, or there is a production date stamped on a plate on the frame.
UJM's will rack up countless uneventful miles, but after awhile, most true riders like a bike that speaks to them. Guzzi's do that is spades, as you know. Good on you. Post often!

Nice bike Rene. If it wasn't for the tanning of the pipes, you'd think it was brand new.
Tell me is that a Skidmarks or Paramount hugger on the back wheel. Does it vibrate, twist, bounce on the back tyre or do anything other than look cool, to let you know it's there?
Looking to get one for my Bellagio.

Thanks Calijackalbob. Sorry for late reply, been working too much and then away watching Moto GP in Valencia
I'm pretty sure it's a Skidmarks one. The previous owner bought the bike with it fitted. he had to adjust it as it was rubbing on the tyre on one side, but he's set it up perfectly and it just stays there, doesn't vibrate and does the job. Not that I've taken the bike out in any messy weather yet. Can't really bring myself to get it all messed up, like I used to with the VFR.
If you want some detailed pics I can take some for you if that helps.

No worries Rene. IF it's a Skidmarks, Ive already found out the won't ship to Singapore.
:mad:
Probably gofer a Stucchi.

Thanks for your reply Renevator.
I got me a hugger off ebay, nice and cheap in gelcoat, figured why pay more when it's not the colour I want? Think it's the skidmarks design. Dunno. Don't care. Looks great in black chrome. Like it?
P1020276_zps3umf52ye.jpg

a5_zpsziz7tc3j.jpg

like it??.....oh yes! What a gorgeous guzzi. I love those chrome tanks and splitting it chrome and paint as you've done is very nice. Great seat colour too. I was thinking of doing something different with my seat eventually, maybe going brownish with some red piping as part of a slightly retro look.
Still not happy with the bars, and researching options. Although the little screen does make riding at higher speeds easier, I think it does detract from the overall look, but not seen anything that looks much better....well, that I can afford anyway, as there are some interesting custom fairings out there.
Just need to start riding it more really, get some luggage that works, a phone holder to give me sat nav, an intercom, and then more petrol . All the other mods can come as and when funds allow.
Glad you sorted the hugger. No wonder you wanted to get it right, as it would be a shame to spoil such a beautiful bike with a less than perfect add on. You must get a ton of admirers whenever you park up. I know I'd be straight over if I saw it

Hi Rene.
It's been a while!
Show us what you've done to your bike...............and if you haven't done anything lately, show us your Griso anyway. I love the Griso. You might consider doing something like this......?

Moto_Guzzi_Ipothesys_Aria_V12_020.jpg.2041103_zpsqtrlo8ew.jpg

It's something like what I would do if I were lucky enough to have a Griso. Wish me luck!

(BTW, thanks for the compliments on the Bellagio "Evoluzione" (It's still evolving.) )

Hey Bob (I assume your name is Bob?) not done anything to the Griso I'm afraid, apart from wash it and ride it, and not done much of that either to my shame. I really do need to change my life/priorities
I'm in the middle of a service, brought on early cause of a leak in the r/h rocker cover. In disconnecting the battery to keep it on trickle charge, I noticed the terminals were very very weak at the 90 degree bend. In fact one of them snapped and the other is about to go the same way. So I'm now having to try and repair them but tempted to get a set of HICAP starter leads for long term fix, as they'll work out the same cost as std guzzi replacements anyway!!!
Its all taking far too long due to other commitments, but tomorrow should give me enough time to get it back on the road. Im way down the scale on mechanical capability compared to most folk here, but I do have plans for the Griso, though my skills and wallet won't ever stretch to that amazing build you've just posted.
Although it helps ease riding at higher speeds, I'm not struck on the look of my bike with the screen. The front end is messy and at odds with the rest of the bikes lines, well to my eyes anyway, so I'd ideally like to get a small fairing like that build, and some clipons or much flatter, shorter bars. BUT, fairing choice is almost non existent, and yes, I appreciate the Griso is what it is and doesn't need one but I think it would look and feel better with....though I could be wrong.
I'd also like to take advantage of the PC-V package Todd has developed but gonna have to save up for that one. Suspension mods probably in order too later on, maybe Maxton.
I'll get some pictures taken and loaded up here soon.
How's the Bellagio going?

Hi Rene?
The name's Peter, my forum Id is Cali (California) Jackal Bob (Bobber) (Though some might say my Jackal is not a true Bobber. I think it has the spirit of a Bobber.)
This is it as it looks now..............
P1020305_zpskbozobqx.jpg

If I understand you right, the terminals on the wires going to your battery are disintegrating.
If so, it's not a big problem. I'm sure any garage/mechanic could replace the bits that screw onto your battery for $5 or $10 or you could get some terminal wire ends at any bike shop or garage cheap and DIY. It isn't a huge job to replace them. Just, cut the old ones off and crimp the new ones on with a pair of pliers. If you want to get really serious, solder them on before you crimp the wire clamp. Don't be afraid of getting your hands dirty and doing it yourself. It is very satisfying, knowing you have fixed it yourself.

Re: your "skills and wallet won't ever stretch to that amazing build you've just posted."
Don't be so sure. I only changed the tank and seat, added cheap clip ons from ebay and got a paint job. None of which cost a ton of $.
Everything I've done was one step at a time. That's the way to go. Make small changes,.... take the time to make sure you're happy with them and then make the next step.

Regarding the fairing for your Griso,.... go to a few bike shows/shops/dismantlers and look around. I saw a perfect fairing/headlight set up (IMHO) that would work on the Griso on a wrecked yamaha. It would have looked awesome I'm sure. Only reason I didn't buy it was cos I was researching bits for Grisos and Bellagios BEFORE I bought either bike. (Bought the Belllagio in the end, as you know.) I also saw some nice Ducati fairing/headlight set ups that would work. Just go look around and let your imagination take a ride on the wild side.

If you want to switch bars, I reckon "Ace" / "Clubman" bars would look great on the Griso and you wouldn't have to deal with blanking off the riser holes in the triple clamps. Check out these "Ace" bars on my old honda CB750. I love the way they frame the instruments.

small%20050_zpswa7khdaz.jpg
small%201993%20Cb750%20Nighthawk%20Cafe%20Racer_zps3knbhx6l.jpg

Food for thought? Good. Eat up. and show us some pics of your ride, regardless of whether you've done any mods or not. No one will complain about seeing pics of a beautiful Griso, customised or not.
Bob. AKA Peter.

Hi Peter

Well thank you for all that information. You're right about getting stuck in and doing the work myself. Your encouragement has really helped. For some stupid reason I've sort of been treating the Griso with kid gloves and being a bit reserved about tackling any work on it. Which is bonkers considering all the work I used to do on my VFR. Having done the clearances, replaced the air filter and plugs it's really helped me "own the bike". I don't mean to make it sound like a load of daft spiritual nonsense, but you know what I mean. Taking things apart and seeing and feeling how it all works definitely adds to the enjoyment of ownership. So your suggestions about fixing it all myself was wise. I've got the parts and tools now to remake those cables and will get it back up and running soon. Unfortunately all my spare time has been needed elsewhere and we are on holiday next week so it's going to be a couple of weeks until I get riding again, but can't wait. Will get some decent photos posted up then too.
You've been a great help, thank you. Forums like this with helpful encouraging members are fantastic. All credit to Todd and the others that keep it going.
Thanks for the tip on the ace clubman bars, will consider that option too.
Nice Jackal by the way

Back