• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hidden Customization

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Hmmmm let's see how THIS works...

1973 V7 Sport

Rollers_zpsaebgjr1f.jpg

Yeah, I've had these for several years. This is the first time I am trying them out. They seem to fit and operate OK.
Hopefully I won't damage these Mike Rich heads.

Alex

Being a fan of roller rockers from decades ago I was thinking about what it would take to retrofit a Griso 2V.

It's part of my Zero-Drag OCD mindset. Nothing like freeing up power for other things.

Rollers are great used them on my small block fords,Figure it out,would love to know.
Duc

good question phil.
I saw these in a picture over a decade ago. Several years later I was rummaging around at Guzzi Classics and found these. I don't know if they are the same pieces I saw in that picture so many years ago, but thought I'd give them a try.
They then aged on my shelf for years.
Since I wrote this thread, I've taken them back out of the V7 Sport race bike. I chickened out... that bike has a whole lotta effort (and $$$) wrapped up in it.
Alex

http://www.baisley.com/rocker_service.htm

These folks make roller tip rockers for Guzzi
Thanks for that brlawson. I had a feeling they were baisleys. Ive checked their site before but they dont have any Guzzi photos there.
The cost seems OK at 450us for the conversion but our exchange rate is so poor these days its a little expensive right now.
Would help with guide wear, but change the cam timing a little. Not enough to worry about though.
Ciao

I would like to find a roller cam, lifter and rocker for an old Guzzi... plus a roller crank ...

as I'm also a Norton Commando owner , I 've never had a problem with Guzzi valve guide or tip wear to warrant rollers. Nortons wear both considerably , due to really poor angles. What I wonder is all that extra weight put on the end of the rocker arm , that cant be good in a high performance / high revving motor? Seems contrary to me. High performance motors ? expect to replace the valves regularly , they will probably stretch anyway and keep rockers etc as light as possible. I also have a V7 sport , 36mm pumpers, flowed heads and the ol B10 cam , almost no flywheel, its lotsa fun. Keep on with news of the LSR , always enjoy hearing of mods and success or otherwise !

Dave

Hey Dave,
The Bonneville record I set in 750cc Production Class - Production Pushrod engine was beat by a Norton Commando. That bike looked really good.

as I'm also a Norton Commando owner , I 've never had a problem with Guzzi valve guide or tip wear to warrant rollers. Nortons wear both considerably , due to really poor angles. What I wonder is all that extra weight put on the end of the rocker arm , that cant be good in a high performance / high revving motor? Seems contrary to me. High performance motors ? expect to replace the valves regularly , they will probably stretch anyway and keep rockers etc as light as possible. I also have a V7 sport , 36mm pumpers, flowed heads and the ol B10 cam , almost no flywheel, its lotsa fun. Keep on with news of the LSR , always enjoy hearing of mods and success or otherwise !

Dave
The primary purpose of a roller tipped rocker is not about valve tip and guide wear its about transmitting the information from the cam lobe to the valve in a more accurate manner.
As the rocker foot in a normal rocker ( a la guzzi) moves across the valve stem it sweeps in an arc the extent of which is determined by the rocker ratio and the location of the rocker pivot in relation to the valve stem.
A roller tipped rocker actually goes same way to negating this phenomena. Not entirely but significantly. So the information from the lobe is more accurately transmitted to the valve as i said before.
Reduced side thrust and its effect on guide wear are a secondary gain.
This is why to gain the maximum benefit from the roller tipped rocker you need to modify the cam profile.

Ciao

Cheers Phil , Hi Alex,
Thanks i appreciate the explanation. I'm starting to get it , but then I've always been a slow learner !
I'm still of the standard Guzzi philosophy tho - less weighty bits = quicker power ! and as you say better accuracy always helps - top to toe but with Guzzi usually starts with re-setting the factory timing marks eh ! but now we need to work out how to get Alex's V7 sport back in to shape to do in that Notrun Commando at Bonneville ! crikey that Norton cant have had much original bits left in it !
dave

hehh heh Notrun indeed.

The V7 Sport did 127+ in 1.3 miles at El Mirage (Mojave desert) last year. If I can stop screwing with it we should be able to set a new one at Bonneville. 750 P-PP record currently held by Big D and that Norton, is 126.434 MPH at Bonne and that is with a 3 mile starting run.
Now we hafta wait for Bonneville to open again for racing... it's going on 2 years since the last trails there. Combination of wet and lost salt prevents racing on the salt.
Bonneville racing could be a thing of the past.
Alex

Back