• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil pressure sensor change solution!

ITSec

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
A number of people have mentioned that dealers are now recommending a new part for replacing the oil pressure sensor - usually, the new one is part number 641541. Our friends at AF1 Racing cross-reference this to earlier part numbers (ex AP9150414) (ex AP0956169) (ex AP8550512) (ex GU31768780).

Note that last one - it's the infamous oil pressure sensor used on many Moto Guzzis, the one with the nail-top head! The replacement, however, uses a spade-style connector, and there's (literally) the rub. On the newer big blocks, the alternator may be very close to the top of the sensor, and use of a standard connector may be a problem.

Old sensor design at left, new style at right:
GuzziOilPressureSensorOld.jpg
GuzziOilPressureSensorNew.jpg

I've come up with a possible solution that allows use of either of these sensors, and that should work in almost any bike. It can be installed with minimal tools or skill; if you can get to the sensor, you can install this changed wiring. I can't change the location of the alternator or the height of the sensor, but this should solve the problem for many of you!

The actual work is to clip the old wiring just behind the boot connector, and remove that frustrating part. The kit includes a fully insulated crimp connector and a small sleeve of adhesive-lined shrink-wrap tubing. Slide the tubing onto the wire that's still left, strip the tip of the wire, crimp on the supplied connector, and then slide the shrink-wrap up into place. When you heat it, it will tighten up - and the adhesive will seal the joint!

Now, select the correct pigtail for the type of sensor you have. The old style sensor uses the slide-on clip instead of the unwieldy boot. Attach the slide-on clip to the sensor, and attach the other end to the connector you just installed. If you have the new sensor, use the pigtail that has the 'flag' connector at the end. Slide the flag over the sensor's spade connector, and again, plug the other end into the connector you just installed.

The supplied pigtails have been assembled using proper crimping tools and adhesive-lined shrink-wrap on all connections, and have been continuity and resistance checked.

Here's the tricky part - how do you get this easy-to-install problem solver?

EASY!

I am offering, while supplies last, postage and handling included within the US and Canada, one of these kits for free (as in beer!) - to anyone who asks, with only one condition: you must have given a donation to the operator of this forum in 2015. I don't care if the donation was big or small, but it must be in the current year.

This is a way for me to contribute back to the Guzzi community and to encourage support for the forum operators, and hopefully to get each of you to consider helping them too.

I will post pictures of the kit wiring as soon as I receive the slide-on connectors (in the next few days), and will have them ready to ship in about a week or so.

Here, as promised, is a pic of the contents of the kit - yours free for the asking, if you support the forum! Included are two leads, and the required parts to change from the old boot to the selectable lead style that will work with either sensor type.

Kit%20Contents%20-%20small.jpg

I found that installing this got rid of an intermittent connection problem with the boot connector, so whether you use the old or new connector, this kit will make your life easier!

ITSec...do you know if this particular issue is a known issue with the Cali 1400?
If so. As a 2015 site contributor...I would like one of these!

ITSec...do you know if this particular issue is a known issue with the Cali 1400?
If so. As a 2015 site contributor...I would like one of these!

As far as I know this is NOT a problem with the newer Cali bikes, but I am going on anecdotes alone. If you can see your oil pressure sensor, you can look to see whether it has a spark-plug style boot connector on top, or has a spade connector style end on the wire. Todd can also let us know, if he sees this.

If you can't tell, or if it looks like you do need the kit, send me a note with your address and I'll mail you a package - if you don't need it, I'll ask you to share it with a Guzzi rider who does.

ITSec,
Thanks for the info on this... just joined in 2015 and recently donated to the "cause".
GT has been extremely helpful with my '08 Norge's "startus Interuptus" issue from MPH, thanks and looking forward to checking out the remedy for the Oil Pressure Switch as well...

Just renewing the thread to announce availability of another batch of these kits. If you have requested a kit and have not received it, please PM me or post here. Nine more full kits will be ready to ship by the middle of next week.

Also, if you do NOT need the old-style connector, let me know. I can get your kit on its way faster and save myself a few bucks by supplying only the new spade connector wire; I have plenty of supplies to make lots of these.

If you have the old style sensor and want to simply replace the connector (the factory boot one is prone to problems), you can order these yourself from sources on eBay or from Summit Racing. Search for 'PICO 5665 PT connector', or for 'GM single wire coolant temperature sensor connector'. Cost with shipping is in the $8 - $12 range for one-offs.

Remember, the only thing you need to do to get one of these kits is ask - and make a contribution to Guzzitech!

Back