• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Updated Stelvio Panniers

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Apparently SW Motech (Traxx) who makes the stock aluminum bags for the Stelvio has upgraded them this year. Unfortunately, some of us who bought the initial batch of 2012 NTX models that were shipped here didn't get in on the action.

SWM has upgraded the latching mechanism from the old-style "thermous jug" wire latches to a formed stainless latch. I guess the main benefit here is a slightly more secure latch since a stout pair of wire cutters cannot cut the latch rings and slipping a screwdriver underneath same and simply prying them off their hook is more difficult.

Secondly, the sealing design of the lid is totally different. The "old" style like mine relied upon a foam seal around the top lid to mate against the lip of the box. The "new" boxes have a plastic-molded piece around both the lid and the box rim. A formed blade mates up into a molded matching groove to effect and more tight water seal.

I checked with Riders Hill to see if there was any above-board way for me to get an upgraded pair of the bags but I had no luck. David, the salesman said I should have waited for later batches before buying the Stelvio !!

Anyway, aint no big deal really. I havent tried the stock bags in hard rain yet but I will. If they leak, Im gonna raise he##.

I first noticed this while riding with PYOUNG recently in the mountains. He lost a key to his box and we had a drama solving that issue. I got a good look at his boxes and noticed the difference.

OLD STYLE STELVIO PANNIERS:

Latch-
IMG_1246.jpg

Lid edge-
IMG_1245.jpg

Box edge-
IMG_1244.jpg

NEW STYLE STELVIO PANNIERS:

Latch-
IMG_1163.jpg

Lid edge-
IMG_1165.jpg

Box edge-
IMG_1164.jpg

Just out of interest but I've noticed that any Trax key seems to operate any Trax lock. Not brilliant for security. I tried my key (with the owners permission) while up in Scotland this year on a set of Trax cases on a GS1150 BMW and it opened them...

It's a pannier - any lock is more illusion of security. Mose can be opened by tapping in a screw driver and turning it with a big enough wrenck....think of it as there to keep honest people honest and thieves to look for easier pickings.

Limited locks - well the other trax bag owner who lost his key hwas happy I was there to unlock his case with the key I had for my Caribou top case :lol:

Hmm.... very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

The 2012 Stelvio NTX I am considering has the old style Trax panniers. I like the new ones better.

Does anybody know if the new ones can be left unlocked and still latch closed? The old ones required them to be locked to latch closed.

I wonder if it's feasible to upgrade the latches?

Interesting topic.

I have a (UK) 2011 NTX with the up-dated pannier seals and locks, I did buy the top box to match but this has the older wire type lock.

The top box locks are something I've been looking to change, just to make it look more secure, I've been on a few web pages but found nothing, if anyone can help I'd been great full.

Marshy.

I got the new Trax Panniers on my 2012 Stelvio, but when I ordered a topbox last fall I got the old latch system.The latch on one of my panniers came apart because a rivet fell out after little use. I was easy to fix with a pop rivet but it doesn't put a lot of confidence in the product.

I don't know if my cases leak or not because I haven't ridden the bike in a heavy rain. I use the waterproof liners, just in case.

I found this interesting too. It prolly answers the question why. Why mine don't leak. I've read of peoples leaking but mine (2012, new style) have been thru some pretty soaaking rides and have stayed dry thru all. As for the latches, when I found the panniers becoming loose I discovered that the hook part of the mounting latches had bent out enough to loosen them up. A mallot easily banged them back with a snug fit but I can see they will loosen easily again as the hook part of the latch is not think enough. More presicely, if it had a rib or tow it prolly would hold its own.

I also have the updated ones. Been out in some major downpours and they never leaked, however, when I wash the bike, I always get water in the right pannier. Can figure it out. Must be spraying under the lid and getting in.

What I have always been wondering is if the stock panniers on the 2012 are supposed to come with the dry bag liners. I ended up buying a set anyways for good measures. Trax boxes come with the liners if you order them. Did MG for go this, or did I get stiffed a set of bags.

Toadride said:
As for the latches, when I found the panniers becoming loose I discovered that the hook part of the mounting latches had bent out enough to loosen them up. A mallot easily banged them back with a snug fit but I can see they will loosen easily again as the hook part of the latch is not think enough. More presicely, if it had a rib or tow it prolly would hold its own.
This is not good news. Hmmm.....

Honestly, I wish I could buy the bike without luggage, I'd keep my Happy Trails Teton boxes and use those. I have no issues with the latches or being water tight. The latches also work without needing to be locked every time.

Has anybody heard of being able to buy the bike w/o luggage with a suitable discount applied?

My 2013 has the new latch and so does my top box but they are different keyed. The keys are numbered so they are not totally universal.
You can purchase matching cylinder sets for two or three boxes, two cylinders per box required and furnished. Twisted Throttle sells them, $25,
.00 for six cylinders to do both side cases and trunk.

I'm not totally thrilled with the boxes but it's the finish and lightness of the aluminium that offends. No matter, as a package I love the NTX. The top box required a liner if you put an extra full face helmet in there, it bounces and dents the box. I went to Sears and got some black foam drawer liner used for tool boxes. It's 12 bucks and when glued in place on the interior of my box will protect them and look more finished too.

I also moved my top box rearward 1 1/4" . It's a bit close to the passenger if she is a size 12/14 type. Now I can sit back to a more normal position when I have her with me. Had I designed the mount to my liking I would have made it an inch lower and with several mounting positions.
Someday I will have it done over..

Vivo

Bisonheed said:
Just out of interest but I've noticed that any Trax key seems to operate any Trax lock. Not brilliant for security. I tried my key (with the owners permission) while up in Scotland this year on a set of Trax cases on a GS1150 BMW and it opened them...

I have the top case as well as the panniers and the keys are the same type but they are not interchangeable.

Keys are numbered same as cylinder. If you have key Number 154 and the Stelvio parked up next to you has that number on his cylinder obviously you share the same keyed locksets.

Vivo

Old thread however I just picked up my top case today.

It is the matching Moto Guzzi accessory made by SW - Motech with the red 'Moto Guzzi' oval on the rear lid.

It has the updated latch and sealing system (which I was counting on). The box had a 2014 date/label on the box and shipped from Piaggio North America. My dealer actually got a hold of their Representative who said all the old style latch top cases are gone so if you want a matching top case to match your updated pannier latches, now is your chance.
Piaggio Representative apparently checked inventory in Italy because dealer misunderstood me and thought I was actually looking for the old style.

The price?

$650 CDN and I am told it was around $850 CDN before. So it should be $500 USD (or not as it may be up around $650 in USD).

It comes with two powder coated metal mounting brackets that are perfectly angled to match the rear luggage rack. This keeps the top case at a 90 degree angle with the passenger's back. I find this important as some of the top cases I see on the internet, even the Trax box itself straight from SW - Motech, when mounted directly to the rear luggage rack is leaning forward how ever many degrees the luggage rack swings upwards towards the back. Awkward looking and can't be fun for the passenger.

I think it's worth the price as it has all the hardware needed and is a perfect match for the side panniers...plus those two brackets are included.

Next stop is Twisted Throttle for 3 bag liners, 3 matching lock sets, and the foam back rest which is made for this top case. I just wish SW - Motech was not moulded into the foam and it was just plain, no name, black...

Now if you have an older < 2012 Stelvio or early 2012 with the old style latch panniers, finding the exact match for the top case is near impossible useless some dealer has old stock or someone is selling theirs.

It looks like Suzuki uses the same bags as an accessory for their V-Strom 650 so SW - Motech really gets around.

I wonder why Guzzi just did not use Givi Trekker because it looks like the new 2016 Aprilia Caponord Adventurer is sporting Givi bags albeit a different model. The Givi Trekkers look really good in my opinion.

Well I'm happy. I have a trunk for the first time on one of my motorcycles. I've hit middle age.

I fabricated the two top box brackets out of 25mm square tube at an angle so it is correct for the pillion. Powder coated them. Nice and strong.
If you are ordering dry bag liners then go for the larger size (45l) as I found the correct 37 l bags too small.
I also switched the lock barrel wafers so the panniers and top box are all keyed alike
Alan NZ

I got the new Trax Panniers on my 2012 Stelvio, but when I ordered a topbox last fall I got the old latch system.The latch on one of my panniers came apart because a rivet fell out after little use. I was easy to fix with a pop rivet but it doesn't put a lot of confidence in the product.

I don't know if my cases leak or not because I haven't ridden the bike in a heavy rain. I use the waterproof liners, just in case.

I also got the new panniers on my 2012 NTX Purchased May 2012 in UK. Also had the same issue with losing a rivet in the latch. I had a tiny bolt there for 18 months or so, but recently lost that too. Tried a pop rivet, but that was quickly chewed/cut with any pressure on the latch.

Back