• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Lowering with smaller tires?

deylum

Just got it firing!
I'd like to lower my '03 Cali Stone at least 1 in. I have some rear shocks that are an inch shorter than what are on there & I can move the forks up in the triple tree & I would like to get slightly smaller tires. Should I go with a smaller diameter or aspect ratio? For example the rear tire is 130/90 17 on a 3.5 in rim. The guy at the tire store says that I should go with a 120/90 but that's what he has in stock & my research says that for a 3.5 in. rim I should go with a 130/80 or even a 130/70. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

I have raised my forks through the clamps by 20mm with no problems.I wouldnt go anymore though as the fork sliders go close to touching the clamps.If you put a cable tie around one of the fork tubes above the seal it will tell you how much travel you are using and how close the sliders come to touching the clamps.Push it back down every chance you get and drop the forks back down if necessary.
I have the standard 140/80/17 rear tyre on mine and i think a 130/80/17 should be ok if available.I wouldnt fit a 120 width tyre on a 3.5 inch rim.It is not ideal to vary tyre sizes much from standard.
Be aware that smaller profile tyres in these widths are often suitable for lighter mid capacity bikes and may not cope on Cali,s.They are generally a lighter construction,H rated and not a V rating which is more suitable.
I wanted to fit a 140/70/17 Pirelli Rosso 11,H rated radial but was advised they were made for lighter less powerful bikes and not recommended.
I had an Avon 120/80/18 H rated radial delamite on my Lemans.I felt a wobble and pulled up to see a large boldge in the sidewall.It could have been disastorous,so be warned.After contacting the supplier they said that tyre was for small to medium capacity machines and should not be used on Guzzi,s.
I am not aware of any 130/70/17 or 130/80 tyres suitable for a Cali?
If you find one,check it is suitable for your bike.
Why do you want to lower it?Looks or to reach the ground easier?

Thanks for the input, sorry it took so long for me to respond. Anyhow, I'm a little vertically challenged & tilting to one side during a normal stop is fine, it's just a bit unnerving if I have to stop quickly & that's not a good time for being distracted feeling for the ground with my feet. I've only had this bike for a couple of months & am still getting use to it but the last bike I had was a couple of inches shorter so I could easily plant both feet & I like that feeling of stability.

I'd like to lower my '03 Cali Stone at least 1 in. I have some rear shocks that are an inch shorter than what are on there & I can move the forks up in the triple tree & I would like to get slightly smaller tires. Should I go with a smaller diameter or aspect ratio? For example the rear tire is 130/90 17 on a 3.5 in rim. The guy at the tire store says that I should go with a 120/90 but that's what he has in stock & my research says that for a 3.5 in. rim I should go with a 130/80 or even a 130/70. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

I know this is an old thread, but what to watch out for when installing smaller tires is the weight rating. That 120/90 rear tire will not carry the load that the 130/90 tire will. You need to look into that before pulling the trigger. You may get away with it up front. A slightly smaller tire up there will turn in faster than the larger one.

Back