• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Setting the clutch

dabrucru

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi...its me again...still a newbe when it comes to gearbox and clutch... ok, i set the cable from the lever, is there any other setting apart from this one? I have to pull it all way back when engaging first and second gear... today my wrist really hurt but maybe i had the wrong gloves. I know guzzi s gearbox are part of the oldschool chatacter, but is this normal ?

Make sure you have similar distance at the arm on the back of the transmission/gearbox. All of the new V7s I've seen here had zero slack, which means the clutch is never fully engaged, and would make disengagement tough as well.

Thanks john. Is there a link somewhere that i can see? Or even some pics...thanks

I have a 2015 V7 (5-speed) and had some clutch issues when I first took delivery. At 1400 miles, it's getting easier but I had the same issue where I had to pull the clutch lever all the way to the grip to get the clutch to disengage. If you have the correct adjustment at the lever, you may just need to ride it for a bit. The dealer told me the clutch was "like an old pickup truck" and needed some miles to break-in. I haven't found much on how to adjust the clutch at the transmission either.

I had to fiddle my clutch free play when I got my V7 II; it actually had too much slack, and the dealer mechanic (they just got into the Guzzi game) said it was supposed to be that way. Thankfully, they got the rest of the setup done correctly, so I just set the slack at the clutch lever and it's been fine.
I have noticed it does seem that the friction zone is expanding; as in, the area of engagement seems to be a greater area of the clutch lever travel, instead of the little over an inch very close to the bar it was at zero miles.
The clutch cable hasn't stretched noticeably yet, full disengagement seems to be at the place I originally set it, so the increased friction zone maybe what develops as the clutch breaks in?

Thanks all for the replies. Another thing i noticed is that the lever adjuster is almost used up. Does the cable keeps streching? And when its used up what should i do?

There is an adjustment on the back of the transmission. If the adjustment keeps changing, I would suggest checking the routing of the cable. If the cable moves, the adjustment changes.

Cables normally stretch when new and then stabilize. If your adjuster at the lever is all the way out or near that you need to adjust the adjuster at the transmission. That is why the adjusters are there.

Is there a special tool to grip the small pin at the back of the trans?
That's a good question, Dabrucru. I have a pdf version of the engine manual and the V7 II service manual, and neither make any mention of adjusting the clutch at the transmission, or a tool for that small rectangular headed adjuster.

Anyone with experience making this adjustment have some pointers on the process?

i m 'fabricating' a tool for this adjusting screw... i took a small kitchen knife and cut a slot with a grinder...i cut a slot at a random measurment, 2mm see how it goes...anothe cable adjuster would have solved all this hassle.....ok ok part of guzzi character ;)

So i have managed...with my 'special' tool :) its incredible how just a half turn makes a big difference with the lever... i m really satisfied with the result.... these bikes are so unique...

Welcome to the club. I think it is really your bike now.
Did you set the adjuster at the clutch lever in so that you had more adjustment available once the adjuster down at the trans was adjusted?

Back