• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 hanging throttle

long time away from the boards, but i see it looks alive and well.

I also am having the hanging throttle issue. Most notably after a good ride for an hour or so, and it shows itself mostly in traffic. I will be taking the bike in for service and a tire tomorrow and will ask our local tech what he thinks. '14 Cal 1400 Touring, 9600 mi, Agostini pipes, Charlotte NC

I also am having the hanging throttle issue. Most notably after a good ride for an hour or so, and it shows itself mostly in traffic. I will be taking the bike in for service and a tire tomorrow and will ask our local tech what he thinks. '14 Cal 1400 Touring, 9600 mi, Agostini pipes, Charlotte NC
Let us know what your dealer finds, corrects or recommends?

If I may, this machine was PADS diagnosed with a throttle opening that was not called for by the throttle command position sensor, they deviated by 1.9 degrees from one another. This is the reason the throttle body was thought to be sticking and was replaced. Now the challenge is to figure out why the new throttle body is still giving us the hanging throttle problem, MAP sensor? Ignition sensor? These are viable options that will be investigated. Italy has been advised and everything in our power will be called into action to diagnose and fix this bike to the customers satisfaction. In our shop, we typically don't remove parts and replace them willy nilly with other parts without some proper diagnosis to try and fix the problem. Diagnosis is the key, The bike is trying to tell us something, we just need to figure out what that is, and we will I assure you. Thanks for listening, cheers

Trashtalker, obviously you are the dealer trying to fix the original posters bike correct? Have you guys found a solution or a fix yet? I don't think you or the OP have come back to say anything one way or the other. Obviously, you are being a good dealer trying to fix this bike, now my bike is doing these things, I don't know what to do here even though I have several dealers I can use. I'm hoping I find a dealer as dedicated. My bike just started to do this in the last two months or so. Last time I had any real work done was in August when the electrical recall was done on my bike. I wasn't having an issue back in August or Septemeber, but in October I believe i had a mishap and blew it off to being stuck in traffic, and then came November and now going into December, two incidents. I'm not feeling very confident on the bike at this moment.

Any news on your issue?

Was able to get an appointment to a dealer I forgot about about 45 minutes from me. Unfortunately no causes were found. Ideal conditions were not met today. It was cool, damp. overcast and later on raining. The tech only rode the bike back and forth in their lot, this isn't reproducing the issue correctly. Tech said bike was working as designed. One thing I didn't care for is trying to blame the Agostini slip ons for this issue. I believe I had one or two episodes PRIOR to the slip on install and one or two after. Those of you who have had this issue, are you bone stock or not? I'm curious. Of course most dealers will blame a non OEM part for an issue a bike or car is having, but I just want to ask.

Yes, the service guy said the same thing, I had to order new fasteners for the stock cans since I stripped three of them. But honestly, no issues going to that shop or coming home today so are the slip ons the issue?

Probably not. Seems to me it might be a heat related issue. I have two Cali 1400s, one has the GT-Rx reflash and PC with Autotune installed. On this one, I experience total shutoff when I let the throttle go, very similar to the CARC models when the stepper motor is disabled (i.e. maximum engine braking. I did say I like solid engine braking?).

Might be your answer, and you'll enjoy other benefits such as better power and fuel consumption.

Probably not. Seems to me it might be a heat related issue. I have two Cali 1400s, one has the GT-Rx reflash and PC with Autotune installed. On this one, I experience total shutoff when I let the throttle go, very similar to the CARC models when the stepper motor is disabled (i.e. maximum engine braking. I did say I like solid engine braking?).

Might be your answer, and you'll enjoy other benefits such as better power and fuel consumption.

I'm confused what happens when you let go of the throttle? It shuts off on you? I've spoken to Todd ever so briefly about this but honestly I'm only good for light weight stuff on my bikes. Todd's equipment requires going to a dealer to reflash or download to the ecu, I don't know or trust a dealer to do anything of this caliber right now. How did you make out?

I'm confused what happens when you let go of the throttle? It shuts off on you? I've spoken to Todd ever so briefly about this but honestly I'm only good for light weight stuff on my bikes. Todd's equipment requires going to a dealer to reflash or download to the ecu, I don't know or trust a dealer to do anything of this caliber right now. How did you make out?

I guess I didn't explain myself properly. What I really meant there is no hint of a hanging throttle, maximum deceleration via engine braking occurs when the throttle is released.

If I was in your position I'd embrace the new C14 ECU Programmer Box. If you don't feel competent, get a friend who understands this stuff to help. You will be amazed at the result.

I guess I didn't explain myself properly. What I really meant there is no hint of a hanging throttle, maximum deceleration via engine braking occurs when the throttle is released.

If I was in your position I'd embrace the new C14 ECU Programmer Box. If you don't feel competent, get a friend who understands this stuff to help. You will be amazed at the result.
Told my wife what I want and NEED for Christmas this is what I'm getting in the near future! Plus speaking with Todd and maybe you can chime in, will this help in making the bike run a little cooler? I'm just not crazy about all of the heat this bike puts out. My 2001 air cooled Beemer comes no way close to the heat as this bike.

Hello to all,

Guzziken, I hope the hanging throttle problem is solved; however, haven't visited the forum for a while, so when checking it out now, saw your post and wanted to tell you that my 2014 Cali 1400 is having the same issue.

Already mentioned my problem a while ago here. Kindly check my post titled "California 1400 engine braking". I think it might correspond to what you're experiencing.

Anyways, my problem is still persistent as i couldn't find any time to pass by the dealer and he's still confirming that an ECU update might very well solve this issue.

Shall definitely pass by him ASAP as i just noticed a slight oil leak from the upper front side of the engine block around the seal.

But i really hope the hanging throttle can be solved as it is definitely affecting the riding pleasure... engine braking is a quality i was hoping for from an Italian 1400 V Twin and the hanging throttle feeling is definitely killing it.

Thanks a lot in advance to let us know if you have any updates.

Meanwhile, Safe rides to all!

Regards.

Hello to all,

Guzziken, I hope the hanging throttle problem is solved; however, haven't visited the forum for a while, so when checking it out now, saw your post and wanted to tell you that my 2014 Cali 1400 is having the same issue.

Already mentioned my problem a while ago here. Kindly check my post titled "California 1400 engine braking". I think it might correspond to what you're experiencing.

Anyways, my problem is still persistent as i couldn't find any time to pass by the dealer and he's still confirming that an ECU update might very well solve this issue.

Shall definitely pass by him ASAP as i just noticed a slight oil leak from the upper front side of the engine block around the seal.

But i really hope the hanging throttle can be solved as it is definitely affecting the riding pleasure... engine braking is a quality i was hoping for from an Italian 1400 V Twin and the hanging throttle feeling is definitely killing it.

Thanks a lot in advance to let us know if you have any updates.

Meanwhile, Safe rides to all!

Regards.

I went to a dealer a few weeks ago and they couldn't replicate the issue. But I do have a question. I have had one update to the ecu done while the bike was under warranty. It was for an idling issue and MG had authorized it. Anyway my dealer now tells me he wouldn't be able to download any newer updates since I changed out the stock cans for some Agostini's. Mind you, Agostini works hand and hand with MG with their factory down the road from MG's. So if there is another update available for this hanging throttle issue, can I NOT get it downloaded because of some slip ons from a sister company that claims their products are safe to use on MG products?

That sounds like an issue with your dealer, not an issue with MG.
My thoughts exactly! This is one of the reasons I was leery of this brand, who do I trust for AFTER SALES service, warranty and accessories work.

Back