• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1974 850T Head Help

MG 850T

Just got it firing!
Hello All,

I recently have acquired a 1974 850T with 4k miles. Unfortunately, it has been left sitting for 40 years and has been the victim of parting out. When I got it both carbs were missing. Upon removing the heads I realized that the left cylinder had been left at TDC with both valves closed while the right cylinder had been left with the intake valve cracked open. As a result the left cylinder and head are exactly as they were 40 years ago while the right cylinder and head have suffered through the elements. The right cylinder has become dechromed and thus I have arranged a replacement. What I need help with is determining what to do with the right head.

There is some chipping of the aluminum just beneath the spark plug hole. It is at most 2 mm deep and nearly 21 mm long. It is marked out by a faint orange line which I made around it with a marker.
2uzBaGW

Is the head usable with this chip or should I begin searching for a new head? If a new head, what other model MG's heads are compatible with the 850T? Quite a few MG's have the same bore of 83 mm, would one of their heads work?

Also what does the 3 on the head mean?

2uzBaGW

Here is the album http://imgur.com/a/b1vuE.

Many thanks.

Probly best to get those valves out and see what the seats look like .... if they are really pitted you may have to factor in the cost of new seats too . Once its all cleaned up you will have a better idea but Id say it will be ok with a sand up . If its really deep you can always get the area welded up and then a clean up with a dremel will see it right ..... but it may work out cheaper to source a 2nd hand head . If it were mine Id give it a wiz with a wire brush , sand off ( dremel emery wheel ) any sharp edges and ,providing the valve seats are ok stick it back on and try to forget what you've seen

Hi,
I have several 850T parts from my cafe re-build/conversion if you're interested?
Let me know;-
-850T carbs
-850 heads
-(almost) complete front forks, new dampers/springs
-drilled front hub and disc
-front caliper (re-built)
-front fender
-sundry other stuff.
PM me if of any use to you.

Hi Carlo
Do you still have that hub and disc.
Do you mean it has been lightened.
Was is lightened properly or by some backyard hack.
Do you have a photo?

Hi again Shrek,
Actually I do have some photos but am plumb out of developing fluid.
Clearly, what was produced went far beyond machining and came close to 'being 'metal art' - far too good to use on a grubby road bike ; -)
As to the backyard hack, I thought he came close to that but he claimed that he was a journeyman Australian machinist by the name of Whyne, or was it SHREK?
Remember?

Back