• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-II ABS + traction control

SSingh

Just got it firing!
Hi Guys,

Been a long time lurker here and have finally decided to jump in and get myself a Guzzi. Yayy!! I'm hoping to add my bike to the list within a few weeks.

As I research more on the V7-2s I keep reading about abs and traction control. Now I do have a vague idea on what that means but I thought the experts here might be able to shed more light on what really happens when abs and tc come into play. And what are the scenarios when this might happen. And finally is this something that one notices - like "hey my tc just activated?"

Many thanks
-Saurabh

Hi there and welcome.

The ABS will prevent you from locking up your brakes. So no power sliding the back tire.

Traction control cuts power to the rear wheel should it lose traction and help prevent you from putting the bike down.

It's a good safety factor even for people who are good riders. Those systems have been engineered to be pretty darn good these days. ABS help under wet road conditions or if you hit a patch of sand, leaves, junk like that while braking and the traction control will help under all conditions with throttle on. 've not seen stats with or without these systems, but I'm sure these systems are saving lives and injury.

Would I buy one over another because it has ABS or Traction control? No. But I am not a new rider. If I were a new rider I might prefer one with ABS and traction control.
As a long time rider I don't mind that a bike has ABS and traction control but I don't really see it as an advantage FOR ME. But If I was a newer rider I would probably view that differently.
Even if you have ABS and traction control you still need to know how to ride your motorcycle to its limits, and that requires practice.
Rider aids are nice, but knowledge and skill is better.

My Norge was my first bike with ABS. I really don't care one way or the other about TC but I look for ABS on any bike I buy. The confidence it gives me on a steep mountain road in the rain is worth the money. At times on a dirt road I wish I could turn it off on my V-Strom I would rather have it than not. I have been riding over 40 years.

Once saw details of a demo of ABS. The journalist was told to get up to 50mph, then at the marker brake as hard as he could, assuming it was an emergency. This was on dry tarmac, but just after the marker the tarmac was covered in water for a few feet. Then came a patch of gravel before going back to tarmac. The bike stopped in a straight line with no problems. Could YOU do that on any non ABS bike?

ABS is the greatest invention in motoring in the last couple of decades in my view. It is that good !

Traction control will stop you from spinning up the rear on a loose surface. Power delivery is not hugely impressive on the V7 but still enough to break traction if you are over enthusiastic with the throttle whilst leaned over on a wet road. TC will help you avoid breaking traction in most cases.

Both are good. ABS more so.

I look forward to hearing about your V7 adventures.

The other day I went around a corner rather fast under wet conditions and when I gave the bike throttle, it almost swapped ends on me. So traction control can come in very handy under wet conditions. That combine with ABS and you have a much safer motorcycle, even for those who are not good riders can remain safe under adverse weather conditions and sand gravel scenario's.

I'll weigh in on the pro ABS/TC side; my V7 II is my first ABS/TC bike, and I've taken it through some iffy road conditions already, and first was just really impressed with the Pirelli Sport Demon tires. Then I realized it was the ABS and Traction Control as much as those tires that were keeping me upright and stopped in a safe manner.

I started riding as a kid, offroad, and progressed onto the road in my teen years. I always ride in bad road conditions the same as I do in offroad conditions, as applicable. I thought the Pirellis were just some amazing tires, but the general seamlessness of the TC and ABS were the magic behind the low stress rides I've had on this bike in some hairy stuff.

I did not think much of the technology until I realized how much it was helping me, without my being conscious of it. That is to me a sign of how good it is...

I'll weigh in on the pro ABS/TC side; my V7 II is my first ABS/TC bike, and I've taken it through some iffy road conditions already, and first was just really impressed with the Pirelli Sport Demon tires. Then I realized it was the ABS and Traction Control as much as those tires that were keeping me upright and stopped in a safe manner.

I started riding as a kid, offroad, and progressed onto the road in my teen years. I always ride in bad road conditions the same as I do in offroad conditions, as applicable. I thought the Pirellis were just some amazing tires, but the general seamlessness of the TC and ABS were the magic behind the low stress rides I've had on this bike in some hairy stuff.

I did not think much of the technology until I realized how much it was helping me, without my being conscious of it. That is to me a sign of how good it is...
I've got a V711 and the traction control has activated once that I have noticed, I was accelerating hard out of a bend and ran over loose gravel thrown out of a pothole and power dipped and came back very smoothly, I was impressed. Steve.

Relative newbie here, and definitely over the hill, so I can use all the help I can get. I sold my '13 V7 and got a '16 V7II last May specifically for the ABS/TC. The TC hasn't saved my skin yet, but the ABS has come in handy a couple of times. I'm glad I have both.

Hi Guys,

Been a long time lurker here and have finally decided to jump in and get myself a Guzzi. Yayy!! I'm hoping to add my bike to the list within a few weeks.

As I research more on the V7-2s I keep reading about abs and traction control. Now I do have a vague idea on what that means but I thought the experts here might be able to shed more light on what really happens when abs and tc come into play. And what are the scenarios when this might happen. And finally is this something that one notices - like "hey my tc just activated?"

Many thanks
-Saurabh

Hi Saurabh
Hi all. I'm a newbie to the forum community, but not to riding, with over 30 years continuous experience on all sorts of bikes. I had an old Guzzi 750T before they became hip! I've just bought a V7ii Racer, with ABS / TC, despite not really wanting the additional techno cr"@<p on it. My old BMW has ABS and in 10 years of owning it, it's probably only kicked in once. However, it's never caused me any problems either. So I was a bit negatively biased, but didn't have the option of buying a new bike without the techno gubbins on it.
You can switch off the traction control on the V7ii, and it tells you how in the Guzzi owners manual. The ABS is non-switchable, but even a technophobe like me cannot justify ever needing to switch ABS off. Not unless I use it off road, which is unlikely!
I have changed my mind on the TC issue in a very short time. I deliberately set out to activate it by accelerating hard on loose gravel and it handled it very well. No drama, barely even noticeable.
Yes I agree that all the techno in the world is no substitute for good riding skills and experience, but even with both of those qualities, we're all only human, and we sometimes make mistakes or errors of judgement, so it's no bad thing.
I wouldn't be put off buying a bike if it didn't have ABS or TC, or both, but I've now changed my (stuck-in-the-past) opinion about these systems. I won't be put off buying a bike with them either!
So for any new riders, don't be put off buying a bike with TC / ABS, you don't have to learn anything about them if you don't want to. They're there to assist you if it all goes a little out of shape, that's all you need to know.
But I agree with other contributors, that advanced skills are sometimes just as good, if not better, so maybe invest in a course?

If you don't want ABS to work on your V7II, pull the fuse. Easy.
Hi Saurabh
Hi all. I'm a newbie to the forum community, but not to riding, with over 30 years continuous experience on all sorts of bikes. I had an old Guzzi 750T before they became hip! I've just bought a V7ii Racer, with ABS / TC, despite not really wanting the additional techno cr"@<p on it. My old BMW has ABS and in 10 years of owning it, it's probably only kicked in once. However, it's never caused me any problems either. So I was a bit negatively biased, but didn't have the option of buying a new bike without the techno gubbins on it.
You can switch off the traction control on the V7ii, and it tells you how in the Guzzi owners manual. The ABS is non-switchable, but even a technophobe like me cannot justify ever needing to switch ABS off. Not unless I use it off road, which is unlikely!
I have changed my mind on the TC issue in a very short time. I deliberately set out to activate it by accelerating hard on loose gravel and it handled it very well. No drama, barely even noticeable.
Yes I agree that all the techno in the world is no substitute for good riding skills and experience, but even with both of those qualities, we're all only human, and we sometimes make mistakes or errors of judgement, so it's no bad thing.
I wouldn't be put off buying a bike if it didn't have ABS or TC, or both, but I've now changed my (stuck-in-the-past) opinion about these systems. I won't be put off buying a bike with them either!
So for any new riders, don't be put off buying a bike with TC / ABS, you don't have to learn anything about them if you don't want to. They're there to assist you if it all goes a little out of shape, that's all you need to know.
But I agree with other contributors, that advanced skills are sometimes just as good, if not better, so maybe invest in a course?
If you don't want ABS to work on your V7II, pull the fuse. Easy.

Not sure it'll be that straightforward, but as I said in my post, I can't see why I would want to switch it off anyway. If it's already on the bike, and working, why not just leave it?

Not saying I can see why someone would want to disable it, but IF someone did want to disable it, pulling the fuse IS effective and straightforward. The ABS/TC unit has its own separate 20A fuse on the V7II's.

When the bike is running, holding down the ignition button for a few seconds will disable the TC (not sure about the ABS). You'll know it's off cuz the idiot lights will stay on. To disable, do the same.

Back