• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New LM2 Owner in Canberra, But!

Lsamark

Just got it firing!
Hi, a newbie living in Canberra, I joined Guzzitech early this year but only bought my first Moto Guzzi around a month ago.
It’s a 1981 LM2 but it has been in storage for 22 years, obviously it don’t run, so it’s going to be a full restoration job.

"The instruments are somewhere under there"

As the bike has been rusting away for 22 years I thought I was going to have headaches trying to coax out rust-welded exhaust studs and rocker cover bolts etc but with a lot of penetrating oil and patience it’s been surprisingly trouble free.

"Teardown in progress"

Anyway, as I’m going to be stripping down the whole bike and rebuilding it I’m happy for any advice on any improvements I should be making in the process and anything I definitely shouldn’t do as well.

If anyone knows any hyrdablasters and good painters around the area it would greatly be appreciated.
Also where's the best place to get part in Oz or do order them from overseas?

If you guys don’t mind I will definitely be asking a lot of questions on the art of fixing Moto Guzzi's the further I get into restoring the bike.

Cheers

Lionel

Attachments

• P1010592.JPG
    P1010592.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 610
  • Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 609
  • DSCN0058.JPG
    DSCN0058.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 608
I've had good service ordering parts from Mario at Thunderbikes in Perth.

Also, Pete Roper in Bungendore is the man to talk to in your area. If you don't know him then google him.

Damian

Hi, a newbie living in Canberra, I joined Guzzitech early this year but only bought my first Moto Guzzi around a month ago.
It’s a 1981 LM2 but it has been in storage for 22 years, obviously it don’t run, so it’s going to be a full restoration job.

"The instruments are somewhere under there"

As the bike has been rusting away for 22 years I thought I was going to have headaches trying to coax out rust-welded exhaust studs and rocker cover bolts etc but with a lot of penetrating oil and patience it’s been surprisingly trouble free.

"Teardown in progress"

Anyway, as I’m going to be stripping down the whole bike and rebuilding it I’m happy for any advice on any improvements I should be making in the process and anything I definitely shouldn’t do as well.

If anyone knows any hyrdablasters and good painters around the area it would greatly be appreciated.
Also where's the best place to get part in Oz or do order them from overseas?

If you guys don’t mind I will definitely be asking a lot of questions on the art of fixing Moto Guzzi's the further I get into restoring the bike.

Cheers

Lionel
Hi I bought a Mk2 lemans Black and Gold like the one you have purchased,I bought it in London brand new from a bike shop called Power House Motor Cycles in 1981 did some touring on it then shipped it back to NZ.
These were the last of the Mk2 lemans before the release of the Mk3,a company called Coburn and Hughes UK who were the importers did the paint job on them.
I had the bike for 10 years and never had a single problem with it.
I sold it to a Kiwi guy from Gisborne NZ and the last I heard he took over to Oz.
I am interested if this is maybe the same bike as there were none for sale outside of the UK?
I still have some info on it I will have a look tonite if I can find some more info on it eg frame nos etc.
Regards Rod Geddes.

Great to hear positive words about not quite new model Guzzis.

Looking forward to see the rebuild process and the final result !

Hi Lionel and welcome to the world of Guzzi and your new mistress ! It will be a long affair.
You will also meet many new friends , even in Canberra area. I too had a Black n Gold Mk 11 back in the 8o's. The paint scheme was I believe originally done by Coburn & Hughes in London to move old ( red) stock . I had mine repainted here in Adelaide in the mid 80's . I also had "gold" wheels and the red marzocchis - typical of the day. Sold the bike when i myself went to London in 1985.
Mk 11 will make a great bike with the right input, The forks with std sealed dampers need to be improved - there was a mod that involved drilling a hole in top, replacing with 20wt fork oil and the improvement was remarkable for minimal cost. Take your time to get to know the Guzzisti - attend a few rallies etc, the fountain of knowledge will pour forth and you will end up with a great bike without breaking your wallet. I can also vouch for Mario @ Thunderbikes in Perth for parts and excellent service and advice.
You should join one of the Guzzi owners clubs and check out AIGOR.
Cheers
Dave

Hey Lionel, congrats on your soon to be new scooter!

I bought an 1980 Guzzi G5 with 10 miles on it, about 10 years ago. Similar suspension and drive train to your Lemans II. It was in storage at failing dealerships until I got it. I believe you will come up against similar issues with your new project.

If (when) I attack another hangar queen, I will include replacing every single piece of rubber on (and in) the bike. Every seal and gasket. The whole schmere. And they are everywhere. Quite a treasure hunt.

After removing the crank and cleaning out the trap, Magnafluxing for cracks, and balancing it is in order. Now is the time. Getting a vibration in an RPM band after assembly will be easier to deal (or live) with when you know the vibes are not coming from the rotating parts.

My bet is your gunna wind up with a spectacular example of what those crazy Italians can (and did) do.

Alex

BTW that G5 is now my daily driver with >55K miles on it.

Lionel

Used to live in Canberra but now on the north coast. I'm doing my 1975 T3 at the moment and also have a Mk1 Lemans to complete after that. My brother also had a Mk2 Lemans so I'm familiar with most things with these models by now.
I've ordered most of my parts from Stein-Dine in Germany; usually the cheapest price wise and will deliver to Australia in 2 weeks at a good price. Use teh spare parts lister to find what you want and see if it's in stock.
Look forward to seeing how you get on ... from the date of your first post I hope you'd be well on your way if not finished by now. I have a lot of spares so if you get stuck, message me. Cheers.

Hey Lionel, congrats on your soon to be new scooter!

I bought an 1980 Guzzi G5 with 10 miles on it, about 10 years ago. Similar suspension and drive train to your Lemans II. It was in storage at failing dealerships until I got it. I believe you will come up against similar issues with your new project.

If (when) I attack another hangar queen, I will include replacing every single piece of rubber on (and in) the bike. Every seal and gasket. The whole schmere. And they are everywhere. Quite a treasure hunt.

After removing the crank and cleaning out the trap, Magnafluxing for cracks, and balancing it is in order. Now is the time. Getting a vibration in an RPM band after assembly will be easier to deal (or live) with when you know the vibes are not coming from the rotating parts.

My bet is your gunna wind up with a spectacular example of what those crazy Italians can (and did) do.

Alex

BTW that G5 is now my daily driver with >55K miles on it.

Got to agree; I've not only replaced every bit of rubber, but seal, gasket and bearing on the whole bike. Will be doing the same to my Mk1 Lemans as well once the T3 is finished; it's also a 1976 model.

Can you tell me what tail light arrangement yours has? Mine was an Australian complianced September 1976 build that was burnt and that whole seat unit and light wasn't with the bike and I hear several stories as to what was original in that production run. Early (1975) T3 style light on fibreglass base (per Ducati 900SSD) or LMII 'rectangle' style and fibreglass base? Thanks.

Back