• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Airone Sport - 1955 - Fitting a speedo

Dennis Lodge

Just got it firing!
Hi Everyone,
I have bought an oily rag 1955 Airone. (Not yet delivered). It has no speedo fitted. I have noted kits are readily available. The front wheel hub gear box I note is driven by a gear. Does anyone know if the gear that this meshes with in the hub is aleady in place. The kits contain gearbox, speedo head, cable plus brackets/telescopic speedo drive. So nothing is supplied for the hub, hence question.
kind regards
Dennis

Hi Everyone,
I have bought an oily rag 1955 Airone. (Not yet delivered). It has no speedo fitted. I have noted kits are readily available. The front wheel hub gear box I note is driven by a gear. Does anyone know if the gear that this meshes with in the hub is aleady in place. The kits contain gearbox, speedo head, cable plus brackets/telescopic speedo drive. So nothing is supplied for the hub, hence question.
kind regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Congratulations on the Airone, welcome to the club, you'll love it. Once you get your hands on the bike, you might pull the front wheel and have a look at the hub, it's entirely possible that at some point in the bike's life it had a speedo, which means the hub gear might already be there, some do, some don't.. Pulling the wheel is pretty easy, disconnect the brake cable and pull the two bolts from each fork leg, then the large nut that holds the brake backing plate and have a look. If the gear isn't there, you will need to source one, which means you'll also need to use a press to install. Sounds like you've had a look at a supplier with all of the bits, so just ask if they also have the gear.
By the way, there are two options of getting the information from drive at the wheel to the speedo, one is a direct cable, the other is a telescopic shaft, either will work, though I suspect the direct cable is easier to install and less expensive, though the shaft method is quite old school, I have one of each.
Are you in the states, or abroad?
Regards,
Mike

Hi Everyone,
I have bought an oily rag 1955 Airone. (Not yet delivered).
Congrats and welcome the the GT Famiglia... And thanks Mike for your input. He's in the UK it looks like, noted just under his avatar.

Congrats and welcome the the GT Famiglia... And thanks Mike for your input. He's in the UK it looks like, noted just under his avatar.
Hi Mike,
Many thanks for thorough description. I am in the UK. I can follow your explanation, no problem. I am a self contained motorcycle nut. I have restored lots of bikes, usually Japanese. However I have liked certain Italian machines. Last year I finished an Aermacchi 250cc and next will be the Airone. It should be delivered in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can just run it initially however the speedo needs to be solved - thank you. I have browsed eBay and have seen what's on offer. Yes I have spotted the telescopic drive/cable. What's on offer seems quite expensive especially if I need the hub gear. I may also view alternatives.
Regards
Dennis

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for thorough description. I am in the UK. I can follow your explanation, no problem. I am a self contained motorcycle nut. I have restored lots of bikes, usually Japanese. However I have liked certain Italian machines. Last year I finished an Aermacchi 250cc and next will be the Airone. It should be delivered in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can just run it initially however the speedo needs to be solved - thank you. I have browsed eBay and have seen what's on offer. Yes I have spotted the telescopic drive/cable. What's on offer seems quite expensive especially if I need the hub gear. I may also view alternatives.
Regards
Dennis

Dennis,
I agree, putting a speedometer on the Airone, particularly if you need the hub gear, if pretty expensive. I will say that my 54' Sport came without a speedometer, but when I pull the wheel to do some brake work, the gear was in place, so maybe at a certain point in manufacture, they did install that gear at the factory... I have a speedometer on my 56' Airone, but to be honest, I really don't miss it on the 54'. We do a Moto Giro of sorts for older bikes here in the Northeastern US, where an odometer is pretty necessary and a number of participants, install electronic units from places like Baja Design or Trail Tech, so if originality isn't that big of a deal, a more accurate and far less expensive option, and easily removed if you go to an event and there are lots of the trainspotting police in attendance.

By the way, we here in the US hear great things about the Moto Guzzi Club UK, so you might check with them as well. Regarding parts from the old country, lots of options, though I am a big fan of Marco Valenti at http://www.valentimotorestauri.com/public/public, the site isn't the best for estimating prices, but Marco answers inquiries quickly in decent English, takes Paypal and ships quickly, plus if he doesn't have something you need, he is willing to find it for you.. a decent fellow.
Best,
Mike

Dennis,
I agree, putting a speedometer on the Airone, particularly if you need the hub gear, if pretty expensive. I will say that my 54' Sport came without a speedometer, but when I pull the wheel to do some brake work, the gear was in place, so maybe at a certain point in manufacture, they did install that gear at the factory... I have a speedometer on my 56' Airone, but to be honest, I really don't miss it on the 54'. We do a Moto Giro of sorts for older bikes here in the Northeastern US, where an odometer is pretty necessary and a number of participants, install electronic units from places like Baja Design or Trail Tech, so if originality isn't that big of a deal, a more accurate and far less expensive option, and easily removed if you go to an event and there are lots of the trainspotting police in attendance.

By the way, we here in the US hear great things about the Moto Guzzi Club UK, so you might check with them as well. Regarding parts from the old country, lots of options, though I am a big fan of Marco Valenti at http://www.valentimotorestauri.com/public/public, the site isn't the best for estimating prices, but Marco answers inquiries quickly in decent English, takes Paypal and ships quickly, plus if he doesn't have something you need, he is willing to find it for you.. a decent fellow.
Best,
Mike
Hi Mike,
Once the bike is delivered I will remove the front wheel and check to see if the gear is in place.
It's funny but I have just received an order placed via eBay for Valenti. He enclosed his business card and I have already been browsing. It looks like it would cost around $750 to fit the original. I simply need one because without would be illegal. I will check out the digital companies you mentioned. Also I spotted an Airone fitted with a gearbox on the front wheel (lhs) driving a Smith (possibly replica) speedo. I will measure up and see if that could be done.
I appreciate your comments re the Moto Guzzi club. I will see since I am already involved with other clubs.
Kind regards
Dennis

...or you could just fit a modern bicycle speed for $30 bucks. It won't match the patina of the rest of the bike of course.

Hi Chris,
Thank you. A friend who has one fitted one to a 'flat tank' and who also rides a bicycle suggested this. However like yourself he did say the display would be modern.
Regards
Dennis

Back