• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio Extended Test Ride

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Ok, I just spent about a week riding the Stelvio (fully broken-in) in a variey of riding environments. Ive reamed the thing out pretty hard and put it through the paces.

First of all, remember, I am as close to a BMW GS man as you can get. Im on my fourth GS, an 07 1200. Ive posted many times about the GS , particularly regarding the reliability problems since the 2000 models: final drives, fuel pumps , on and on.... Im also one of the minority of GS riders who take it off-road into situations harsher than what it was probably designed for.

Ok, the Stelvio:

1. On the road.

The Stelvio is no where near as smooth as the BMW. You get noticeable vibration through the handlebars. The throb. This doesnt really bother me that much (Ive also been riding a HD Shovelhead for 31 years) but its an issue that other riders, especially non-guzzi riders, will notice. The handlebar throb is somewhat like the V11 sport that I have. Perhaps filling it with lead shot would help.

The Stelvio suspension is more sporting than my GS (with Ohlins). The Guzzi feels much more taut. It also tracks very well and handles curvey roads well. Id say as good, maybe better than the GS. Saturday, while leaned hard in a tight right-hander, I encountered a severe bump in the pavement. The Guzzi handled the bump well and never lost its line. The Guzzi is very sporty and hard to ride slow. It loves curves and feel much more like a sportbike than any GS Ive had.

On the other hand, the GS is much more plush; much, much more. For long distance running, cross country etc., the GS would provide a much smoother ride both in engine feedback and in suspension feel. The BMW offers many other creature comforts from years of refinement: ABS, heated grips, much easier computer readouts, gear indicator etc.

I have to make special mention of the Guzzi computer operation. Its very awkward and difficult to program. One has to fiddle with it in order to access the menu page and do requisite programming. Also, the mode/select key seems intermittent and hard to predict.

I was able to program and use the computer but I never figured out the exact the exact method of getting key response. Holding the key over 2 secs results in different computer responses but, again, its hard to predict.

Once programmed, toggling between info readouts is not too difficult but I think the switch layout is a poor design since the mode switch is directly over and close to the turn signal switch which has essentially the same operational range of motion. Underway, one can easily confuse the computer switch with the turn signal, especially with winter gloves. The BMW is much better arranged in this regard, having an easily-operated computer toggle and programmer switch totally seperated from any other switch.

Power on the Guzzi is very different than the GS. The Guzzi feels much more torquey. Its fast. My seat-of-the-pants judgement is that it will out-run the 1200 GS which is no small compliment since the GS aint no slouch. The rush of the Guzzi above 6000 rpm is fun.

Yes, contrary to my original post on this thread, I am now able to feel a "milder" power pull at the lower rpms, 3000 to 4000 rpms. On the road, however, I wasnt down there often. By the way, in fouth gear this thing redlines at over 115 mph. For most sport riding, you never need more than 3rd or 4th gear. On a long straight stretch, I was able to top the Stelvio out at an indicated 140-141 mph and thats with the large Givi windshield.

The Guzzi transmission worked fine most of the time but, occasionally, upshifts seemed sorta sticky if not done crisply and the Guzzi didnt like multiple downshifts. I would often have to "bump" the clutch for the tranny to take a downshift. Thinking an adjustment was needed, I tighten up the clutch lever stroke a bit but maybe something else needs tweaking or maybe some more miles are in order on this new bike.

The thing will run. It sounds good too. With about 2500 miles on the bike, the stock exhaust is offering a much greater bark than I expected and, other than weight savings, I dont know that Id be keen on fitting an aftermarket muffler.

All in all, Id compare the Guzzi-GS match up to that of a Dodge Viper against a Corvette. The Guzzi is much more visceral, comparatively more quirky, less refined and more sporting.

2. Off-road.

The Guzzi wins, hands down. No comparison. If you do much off-road, the Stelvio is far, far superior to the GS. The magazine reviewers are remiss in not noticing this. The determining factor here is first gear running.

With these large and heavy dual sport bikes, when off-road, there are times when going slow is essential. The GS has been plaqued since its inception with a notoriously tall first gear. If you're around GS riders on serious mud or technical washouts, you're going to smell the distinct aroma of a burning clutch since one is compelled to slip the clutch in those circumstances. Yes, the conventional instruction for GS riding is "When in doubt, gas it." Thats a cute California-magazine-type quip, and momentum will carry you through many situations but, the fact is, there are times when that wont work and the GS is a hard bike to ride there. First gear is way too tall and the engine easily stalls.

The Stelvio, on the other hand, will walk itself in first gear in bad situations even with no throttle. I bogged down a couple of times in 10-inch Alabama mud that folded over the rims. The Stelvio would sometimes stop forward motion while the rear wheel gently spinned in the mud with my hand off the throttle! Id paddle forward with my feet and, when traction was finally obtained, the bike would resume forward progress. Chugga chugga chugga, all at idle speed !

On very technical cliff climbing, in first gear, the Guzzi would calmly just walk up the dried, hard rock at a manageable speed with a little throttle. I never had to worry about slipping the clutch or "giving it the gas" to barrel through something that I didnt wanna barrel through.

On speedier dirt, the Guzzi likes to rooster tail. Grab a hand full of throttle in 2nd or 3rd and that rear wheel will break loose easily. For off-road riding this thing needs more aggressive tires but that will require a narrower rear rim.

Specification-wise, the GS has a wee-bit more suspension travel than the Guzzi and a wee-bit more fuel capacity but those points are largely academic considering the more significant advantages of the Stelvio off-road.

Again, the GS has a softer ride. So, if you are limited to nice dirt roads where technical stuff isnt encountered, the GS wont bounce you around as much. But, if you want to really play in the dirt (as much as a 500 pound+ machine will allow), the Guzzi trumps the GS.

Summary

The Stelvio is a different animal than the BMW. It does some things better and some things not quite as well. Its a work-in-progress that is sure to be polished over time. Its a hot rod. Its immense fun and I encourage you to test ride one. You need more than a casual 20-mile run to really appreciate what it has to offer, however.

Ill be glad to see ABS and some of the other things we expect. Id also be adament about having the narrower rear rim to accept GS-sized tires that offer much more selection for true dual sport riding. If youre not planning too many off-road excursions, the fat rear tire is fine, however.

Realistically, if I found myself in a long-term, bonded relationship with a Stelvio, Id also probably fit a Russell seat (Im very biased to the Russell), switch the muffler (despite my earlier comments) and remove the airbox lid or somehow free up the intake. Im sure Id have to tweak the fuel injection somehow but, with such mods, I bet this thing would REALLY be a mean boy.

Anyway, time will tell. Piaggio did well with this bike and I expect it to become perhaps their best-selling Guzzi if more people could try it.

Nice write up and I must say well written from / by a GS dude. :p

I look forward to taking delivery of my Stelvio. I haven't been on a GS (R1100GS) since 02 when I sold it to purchase my Caponord.

Lugi finally got the bits and pieces for the up grade to the states so I should be riding in a week or two. :lol:

Excellent test report, I've not ridden a GS and now I won't have to ! Am in agreement about the exhaust, I am on similar mileage to you and have noticed a very nice snarl when heading towards the redline !

Great report, Mann. Funny, before getting the Stelvio I went test riding several comparable motorcycles. I didn't like the GS at all. To me it felt like a car on two wheels and a bit too comfy. I had difficulties in relating to speed because I couldn't feel it on the Beemer. Rode that thing for two days on curvy mountain roads, motorways and some offroading. Didn't enjoy myself. Then it was on to the Triumph Tiger. Too nervous for me, too bitchy, felt like a hot rodded scooter. Then on to the GS Adventure. That felt like a tank on two wheels :p

The Stelvio felt right from the first moment in the saddle. I did two test rides, one of them 350 km/220 miles. If I'm honest I knew this was my motorcycle after five minutes. I like the temperament, the feel, the sound and that it looks like Batman's ride. It's a comfortable ride on long distances (an AirHawk seat helps, though...) and I have not had any reliability issues in 8000 miles. Went on a long road trip to the North Cape in Norway last September (http://web.me.com/hank22/SCANDINAVIA2008/Home.html) and had grin on my face every morning when starting the engine. Had a lot of luggage on the bike. It handled impeccably in all weather conditions.

You are right about the computer handling. It's a pain in the ass. On the other hand I don't need a gear indicator and I can do without display readings that go beyond speed, ODO, distance and time. You are also right about the engine performance around 3000 to 4000 rpm. This motorcycle is not for commuting and riding in the city. Never had any problems with multiple downshifts, though. I like the way this motorcycle goes into eat-shit-mode and that at the same time it can be a relaxed and comfy ride. It's a big bus alright but to burn up emtpy mountain roads on a sunny spring morning or travel long distances for weeks it's just the thing.

Greetings from a happy Stelvio owner in Switzerland.
Hank

Thanks for taking the time to write this Mann, great info.

Do you have pics of your S in the dirt?

I owned a 1200 GS and indeed that bike was better. But I have more fun on my Stelvio because it has more character and you don't see them on every corner!

A friend of mine owns a GS and although I didn't ride it for 00's of miles I can dig what you're saying Mann...
I too agree with the sound of the original muffler. After 6000km it starts sounding real gooood!
Same feeling about the computer... I sometimes push it while using the blinker...

Like Hank, I knew this bike was my dream bike after only a couple of 100 kms when I was driving it back from the dealer. I had quite a few bikes in my rider life and never bought one without road testing. But I don't know why, with this one, I just called that dealer who was giving a serious discount over the net and bought it over the phone just like that... Needless to say I was a little worried when the day to pick it up came because it was a 450km trip back home!

Now I must say I am enjoying it more and more and my GS buddy is starting to ask me more than often to switch bikes, but his problem (just like mine when I started thinking about getting a Guzzi) is the fact that the nearest dealer is quite far from where we live. That's the only negative point about this brand. I wish they'd sell more bikes, so we could have more dealerships...

excellent report - well thought out and focused on the practical...

when the (&^(*%^ are these bikes coming to OZ!?! :woohoo:

Moz[hide][/hide]

ps stick this up on ADVrider.com

Thanks guys, and, yes, I did post that review to the ADV Rider site, the GS page no less.

I didn t make any pictures during that last ride. The whole thing was spontaneous and unplanned.

The GS is a worthy bike to emulate. My comments about the Guzzi , in no way, deny the preeminence of the BMW in this genre. Theyve been producing and refining the GS for many years and it is a zenith of sorts in its field.

Im sure greater improvements are in the offing from the germans. I kinda expect to see the GS inherit the overhead cam motor theyve been selling in their new HP2 sport model. Horsepower should edge to the 120-130 level at that point. So, the Guzzi is nipping at the GS's heels but Im expecting the BMW to get a second wind and kick into a brisker sprint that Guzzi will have match in order to stay competitive.

Follow up from Adventure Rider

Thanks guys ! To respond to some of your questions :

1. Pictures.

Yes, nude models always say "Men are so visual !"

I didnt make any pictures on the rides I described because everything was rather spontaneous and unplanned. On any of the Guzzi sites, you can see pictures of the bike but Ill be sure to get some really muddy pictures of the Stelvio in the future.

2. Weight.

The Stelvio is only slightly heavier than a 1200GS. All in all, however, the Stelvio feels like a much, much smaller and more compact bike than the GS. Its very narrow and the seat height is a bit less than the GS. Again, its an overall more-sporty bike than the GS. On the road, the tight suspension of the Stevio feels much more like a sportbike than the GS and the GS is no slouch !

3. Braking.

The Guzzi brembo system is first rate, as is the GS system. One or maybe two fingers were all I ever needed once I set the adjustable brake lever to fit my hand.

4. Fuel capacity and gauge.

The Guzzi has only 1/2 gallon less fuel capacity than a GS, 4.8 vs 5.3.

Yes, the Guzzi LCD fuel gauge is in 3 gradients and mine doesnt seem to be accurate. This problem, I might add, was typical with the GS as well. I'm hoping I can maybe adjust the Guzzi fuel sensor to work better. Im sure its a much simpler design than the one I had had replaced and reprogrammed 3 times on my 1200GS.

In addition to the fuel level gauge, the Guzzi has a low fuel light that apparently functions off a different sensor and it seems reliably consistent. As a long-time rider, Im still in the habit of toggling a trip odometer and watching my mileage between fill-ups.

5. Lighting.

Lighting on the twin H-4 Stelvio is awesome. I dont feel the need for auxiliary lamps as I have routinely fitted to my GS models. One quirk, due to european regulations, only one of the H-4 lamps is wired for high beam. They both burn on low beam but only one jumps to high beam. Most owners, as in my case, easily fit a jumper connector between the high beam terminals of both lamps and then you have dual high beam lamps. I originally thought of fitting HID but Ive decided to postpone that little operation.

6. GSA gearing.

I had an 1150 GSA and Im very familiar with the 1200 GSA. The GSA low speed running aint the same as low gear on this Guzzi ! This issue extends beyond gearing too. I think its the torque characteristics of the motors.

The Guzzi easily just walks like an old John Deere twin at crazily low rpms. Its an amazing way to get through tough stuff. If you like off-road riding, you should try this thing. I dont know why official reviews have missed this important characteristic.

7. Seat.

No question about it, gimme a Russell.

The stock seat isnt bad but it isnt really good either. A couple of hours is fine on the stock seat but more time in the saddle makes one aware of needed improvements here. I prefer more of a slight bucket contour that allows me to move around but provides wider support and relieves pressure on the middle of my butt. The Stelvio seating position is lower to the ground than the GS. Part of this is lower seat height but some of it must be due to the narrowness of the bike.

8. Parts and dealer support.

Yes, I understand this issue. Although I have never had problems getting parts for any Guzzi, I've heard of problems in the past. Maybe Ive been lucky with the people I deal with.

Actually, Ive never needed too many parts since these things have proved bone-dead reliable in my experience. Service has also never been a problem. I prefer doing my own routine service like valve adjustments and oil changes on all my bikes, including my BMW's. The Guzzi is as easy to service as an old airhead beemer. Oh, and the Guzzi does NOT have the "canbus" computer wiring system.

Guzzi is slowly expanding its dealer network via the popularization of it's parent company's scooters. As more Vespa stores spring up around the country, they seem to be including the sibling product lines of Aprilia, Piaggio, and Moto Guzzi.

----------------
Listen , I love BMW's. I have several. The GS is a zenith of development in its genre despite the reliability problems associated with it in recent years. The Guzzi is a different machine and it offers a lot of appeal to the types of riders on this site.

One doesnt have to run-down one bike to tout the advantages of another. There's enough room in this world for peaceful diversity and the acceptance of what each of us chooses to ride, even if its a 31-year-old shovelhead ! lol

One doesnt have to run-down one bike to tout the advantages of another. There's enough room in this world for peaceful diversity and the acceptance of what each of us chooses to ride, even if its a 31-year-old shovelhead ! lol

That might be puhin it a little :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Heyyyyyyyy !!!!!! I love my shovelhead !! I bought it new in 78 and Ive put 110k on it with NO problems ! been all over north america on it ! I do have to admit that in recent years Ive spent more time on newer HD's and eurobikes, however.

Back