• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

speedo and odometer are dead on new (to me) Stelvio

demonio

Just got it firing!
Hi there, I recently bought a 2009 Stelvio with very few miles, and I hadn't had the chance to ride it until today, due to the snow. Well, the speedometer and the odometer don't work. The speedo shows O, and the odometer hasn't moved. For like a minute as I was riding, the speedo worked, but then it died again.

I have heard that this is apparently a known issue of some models, due to water infiltration. But the bike is dry, and I have kept it in my heated garage for the last 2 months. Before I bring it to a dealer, is there anything I should try to fix this?

Bought privately, or from a Dealer?
Don't know about the U.S., but in the UK, a Vehicle has to be 'fit for purpose' when sold by a Dealer/Trader, so you're covered for stuff like this for a short time, even if the seller offers no official Warranty.

Did you ride it at all before putting it away?

Bought privately, or from a Dealer?
Don't know about the U.S., but in the UK, a Vehicle has to be 'fit for purpose' when sold by a Dealer/Trader, so you're covered for stuff like this for a short time, even if the seller offers no official Warranty.

Did you ride it at all before putting it away?

I did buy it from a dealer, but it is 1500 miles away. So aside from telling him that he is scum there isn't really much else I can do with him. I did not ride it at all when I got it. Yesterday it was the first day that I did.

They may not have known about it of course, although they should have given it a good check-over before selling.
It is possible the fault wasn't there before they sold it, unlikely, but possible.

It is a common fault to get moisture in the unit, usually showing up as condensation.
If left, then the moisture causes corrosion on the Circuit Board, leading to the erratic display functions.

It may be salvageable, but I would contact the Dealer personally, and explain what's happened (calmly and politely ;)), send video/picture evidence if you can.
They may be willing to do something for you.

Is it a Guzzi/Aprilia Dealership?

Google Guzzi Dash Moisture, there is plenty of info on it out there.
There was a guide posted on an Aprilia Forum years ago, showing how to remedy the condensation issue, the Topic is still there, but the pictures are gone.

Try this one . . .
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/condensation-in-clocks-breva-griso.1892/

I had somewhat the same problem on my 07 G11. I've traced it to the sensor and even though it also stays in a somewhat heated, dry garage the speedo freezes on my cold, foggy morning commutes.

I've pulled the sensor, dried it out and hit the little wire with silicon aquarium caulk where the wire goes in but every so often it still decides to stop. I figure some of the problem is the nature of motorcycles and sensor electronics. Nothing's perfect. The problem always corrects itself with a "reboot" of the G11 meaning I pull over to the side of the road and shut down the G11 for 10 seconds then restart.

The sensor's easy to replace. They only cost about $40 with shipping.

As all the others state, likely the speedo sensor, see; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/speedo-sensor-fix.2773/ -- are you getting any dash errors or warnings? It should have a large WARNING! on the screen. Dig into the speedo diagnostics to see what the error codes are listed, and trace the sensor from the back wheel to be sure it's not damaged/pinched. It happens on wheel swaps on occasion.

Could be the speed sensor but odd that it does not show an error when it dies. Speed sensor is an ECU error not a dash error so there will be no memory on the display unless you can get a reader for it. That being said, if it where the speed sensor I would think you would get a error on the display when the speed drops out, even if it is instantaneous.

I am wondering if you are just getting a bad feed to the dash. Does everything else work (ie. RPM) when the speed drops out. May be a loose or corroded dash connector. Can happen if the locking lever is not in place on the connector. Strange???

Thank you for all your input. It turns out that I am starting to work soon at a Guzzi dealer, so I will have it checked by one of the mechanics there. hopefully it is nothing too serious. We'll see.

Back