• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

LED Indicator Light conversion for Stelvio

Johnny99

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I have successfully converted the indicator lights on my 2012 NTX from incandescent to LED using the stock holders and assembly.

I wrote this procedure up, and am now posting ii for those who are interested.

Attachments

• LED Indicator Light Conversion 2012 Stelvio NTX.pdf
    742.9 KB · Views: 378
Nice one John.

Eventhough my electrical soldering skills will need alot of honing to be able to do this I think!

Looks good, nice write up, something to consider.
Guess the resistor could be wired across the supply wires rather than inside the holder, less robust but easier on the soldering skills

Johnny - how did you establish the requisite 20 mA current flow - my 2007 Nevada employs same dashboard control (I spent a couple of hours perusing parts lists looking for traditional flasher can) and I would like to do similar upgrade to yours but need to confirm that current flow requirement first - common sense says it would probably be same as yours but I am a little sceptical when it comes to Italian electrics.

Cheers
Lofty

Years back someone emailed me about the LED turn signal issue on the Stelvio. I quickly tested a 1K ohm resistor (about 12ma) on my 2009 Stelvio. I had him add those in parallel with the LEDs and he emailed back that it fixed them. I never did explore a lower current threshold, since he was happy.

Years back someone emailed me about the LED turn signal issue on the Stelvio. I quickly tested a 1K ohm resistor (about 12ma) on my 2009 Stelvio. I had him add those in parallel with the LEDs and he emailed back that it fixed them. I never did explore a lower current threshold, since he was happy.

Wayne, wouldn't the resistor need to be in series with the LED to get the required load?

John,

No it needs to be in parallel ie shunt connected. Putting the resistor in series will reduce the current more and give less loading on the electronics and less LED brightness

Thanks Tony. the term shunt connection makes more sense to me than a parallel connection. I keep thinking back to my basic electronics course for missile systems where parallel resistors were used to get the average of the two. Having a resistor shunt to ground would load the circuit so the dash would see the resistance. I guess parallel would be correct, but I just couldn't get the right picture in my mind with that term.

Hi johnny99, I hope I can use this on my 2009 model (DOM Dec 2008). I'm looking to move the indicators from the " bloody" mirrors to their original location before the Australian government got involved. I'm not electrically skilled, in your opinion would your mod work on a 2009 stelvio?

This is fantastic ... thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely be looking into this little mod! Next I want to do something with the main headlights.

Johnny - how did you establish the requisite 20 mA current flow - my 2007 Nevada employs same dashboard control (I spent a couple of hours perusing parts lists looking for traditional flasher can) and I would like to do similar upgrade to yours but need to confirm that current flow requirement first - common sense says it would probably be same as yours but I am a little sceptical when it comes to Italian electrics.

Cheers
Lofty
Hi lofty,

Sorry for being so tardy but i haven't been on the forum for quite a while now. Anyway I just did some testing by pulling out the original incandescent bulb and measuring its "static" resistance with a multimeter. Then i just got a variable resort wheel that i had and adjusted until the dashboard indicators "bulb malfunction" light activated. Then reduced the resistance a little more to give me some extra headroom.

Hope that helps.

Johnny99

Hi johnny99, I hope I can use this on my 2009 model (DOM Dec 2008). I'm looking to move the indicators from the " bloody" mirrors to their original location before the Australian government got involved. I'm not electrically skilled, in your opinion would your mod work on a 2009 stelvio?

Tony,

I expect that it should be OK as I expect the rating of the incandescent bulbs in the Mirrors should be the same as the those that are located in the fairing. Anyway I suggest that you can try one indicator at the recommended resistor rating. If the "bulb failure" light comes on then try a lower value resistance.

Johnny99

This is fantastic ... thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely be looking into this little mod! Next I want to do something with the main headlights.

You're welcome, glad you liked it. If your thinking of going LED headlights (or maybe even HID), then that is a completely different ball-game. I strongly DO NOT recommend ripping out the H4 bulbs and slipping in aftermarket re-based H4 bulbs. The original reflectors are not designed for HID or LEDs and you will end up blinding any oncoming traffic.

Also, and importantly I've heard and seen very mixed results with LED & HID headlight bulb conversions. At the end of the day you need good & clear, shaped beam patterns that light the road effectively at night and also during inclement, rainy weather. Just saying.

Johnny99

Back