• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Avon tires

mkstewed

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Has anybody have a history with the Avon Roadrider tires. My CalVin is due but the Roadriders in the correct size for my bike are universal, good for either front or rear. I can get a rear specific in the 150/70/17 size. Have a Metzler marathon rear and lazertec front on right now and consider them ok at best. Did not care for the BT45s after their newness wore off....Mike

Much nicer than BT45's.

Had several sets of AVON road riders on my V50 but had problems with them cracking

I bought a v35 with a monza engine that the dealer put a pair of Heidenau’s classic tyres on and it was fantastic in all conditions... Had several sets of Heidenau’s with no problems except for me having too much fun wearing them out, and they look like vintage / classic 70's tyres and perfect on an older guzzi

I have a set on the Sfida, I only ride in the dry most of the time but they seem to be holding up well and as V65 said much better than BT45's IMHO. No complaints with them work well, my rear is a specific but the front is a universal.

Pirelli Sport Demons get very positive recommendations although I have yet to try them personally

i ran one set on the 2001 EV. did as well as anything. it now has a set of S 11 cheap and work good plus they are lasting 20% longer than most. I have a set of Shinko 230 waiting to try next. still looking for the magic tire that works and lasts. the Shinko's are nice looking, lots of tread and CHEAP! lots of odd sizes too.

I run a shaved Avon Roadrider 110/80 18 58V on the back of a V7 Sport racer. About 50 or so runs at Bonneville over the years ,and no problems.
Metzeler on the front.

Alex

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll probably will give them a try...Mike

avons were great on my 850-t5 and my v35-monza(long story) but always seemed to start cracking, avon always replaced but after a few cracked i moved on.

Pirelli Sport Demons that come OE on the V7's are really nice from day one, ride lots of the new stock that comes in with them, to my eyes they look to modern for an older guzzi.

The Heidenau’s look just right one a older guzzi and still handle and wear so well

If you really want good tyres,then why not try radials.
I have used dozens of sets of different branded bias ply tyres.
None of them come close to any radial i have used.

Pirelli Angels are available 110 80 18R front
150 70 17R rear.

Metzler Z8 are also available in these sizes.

I currently have an Angel on the front of my Cali and a Bridestone battle wing 140 80 17 rear.
Better grip,longer life and much much better handleing.
It steers better and gives great feedback increasing my confidence.

The Z8 front i have on my lemans 1000 with Conti radial rear is awesome.
No more wobbles,great stability,more grip than i can use(unlike bt 45,s,demons etc) which occasionally let go.
But its the increase in confidence these tyres give me which is the clincher.

There are also many other radials available.

Bias ply tyres are old technology and radials will transform your bike into the 21 century.
They do cost a bit more but there superior qualities are well worth it imo.

Warning.
Once you try radials you will never want crossplys again.

Shrek, are you sure? I was just on Pirelli's website and those sizes are not listed.

Hi,yes i am sure they are available in Australia.So they should be available at wherever Central Point is.
The Z8,s are also available in those sizes.
These are also good option rears but not sure if they are available with matching fronts.
Pirelli scorpian trail.140 or 150.
Bridgestone battlewing.140 or 150.

Last edited:
Image Also found this size chart on Pirelli Angel GT
This tyre was voted the best sport touring tyre in Europe out of eight tested.
The Metzler Z8 was voted second.

I will dig a little deeper, maybe they are not available in the USA. That would seem silly though.

My bad. I was looking at the STs and not the GTs. I will definitely give them a try. I will have to use tubes but my Triumph came with radials with tubes, Avons but I also ran Bridgestones. I'm just worried that my rims are too narrow, 2.5" front and 3.5" rear.

My bad. I was looking at the STs and not the GTs. I will definitely give them a try. I will have to use tubes but my Triumph came with radials with tubes, Avons but I also ran Bridgestones. I'm just worried that my rims are too narrow, 2.5" front and 3.5" rear.

Check the manufacture's web site. Some list the recommended rim with for the tire size.

Tubes are no problem.Do check for rust inside if you have steelies though.
Mine had rough rust,which i had to sand back and paint to avoid rubbing on the tube.
The sizes you state are perfect for those rims.
When i talked to a tyre supplier regarding a 140 rear,he asked if i was sure.
He said his listing for a 2001 Cali stated a 150 70 17.Some later models apparently came with a 150 rear?
Both a 140 and 150 will fit fine on a 3.5" rim.

One last thing Shrek, how does the front tire look in relationship with the fender? I can't help it, I'm a little vain, ha ha, but on the Avon site they list their Storm 110/80/18 as 24.8" tall vs 26.1" tall for the 110/90/18 Roadrider. That would give an extra .5" of space under the fender.

Image Personally it has never concerned me how a tyre looks.
Heres a photo
If you want superior performance over a cross ply,then radials are the way to go.
If its looks your after buy the prettiest one.
They all look the same to me.

Back