• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New in Santa Barbara

Dave H

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
Just pick up a red Stelvio from the Santa Barbara dealer. Will have to wait for the recall before it is put on the road . But this is a great time to fiddle and tweak . Just the short ride home and you know you are on a Guzzi , same wonderful exhaust throb that my old Dayton had . Anyone in the US receive the upgraded tappets yet ?

What did your dealer say about it?

They are keeping it a secret.

I hear everything from all of them in the US to, it isn't a problem. Are you riding it some anyway ?

My take on the info that I received from the dealer , which he in turn received from North American Moto Guzzi is ,
1) not ride the motorcycle and wait for new cam followers.
2) ride the the motorcycle and if it starts to make noise have the motorcycle brought in for cams and followers.
In either case the recall will address the soft follower problem, with the in use motorcycle receiving a more extensive rebuild .
I plan on not using the motorcycle and wait for the followers.

Well, MG didn't care if they just replaced the tappets or if they did the tappets AND cams.

So I picked mine up today at Riders Hill in Georgia.

It was a bit cold on the ride home, about 40F. But I'll have the electric vest wired in soon.

NewBikeRidersHill.jpg

Nice looking V-Strom you got there Wayne:laugh:

Look, my take on it is it is a bit like playing Russian Roulette with a 20 round magazine one of which chambers will be loaded, (If that is the correct term, I'm not a gun person?).

I'm still riding my Griso but am not enjoying it *as* much as I was because, although i now have nearly 16,000Kms or 10,000 miles on it I know there IS a problem with some of them and I want it fixed before I go on any really long distance escapes.

In Oz the failure rate has been about 5%. I'm still searching for information and trying to analyse WHY some, which may or may not, of had the soft tappets, have failed, on occassion more than once. While others seem to soldier on regardless.

Just some ideas to punt around OK. This is NOT a definitive explanation of the problem, simply an idea put up for discussion.

The tappets used in the 8V would seem to be actually 'Flat'. That is with no discernable radiusing. For any tappet to work properly it has to spin. Usually this has, in the past, been achieved by radiusing the base of the tappet. What this means is that the face of the tappet is actually very slightly convex, like a section taken out of the side of a very large sphere. As the cam lifts it it will impart a 'Spin' to the tappet so that no single part of it gets hit constantly and it doesn't overheat or get to the situation where boundary lubrication occurs.

Over the last few years at least Guzzi have been putting a very slight angle on the cams. This too would impart spin during the lifting and closing cycle. Ehether this was intentional or simply the fact that their old cam grinder and masters were stuffed I have no idea?

Finally the *other* way to impart spin would be to run the cam off centre to the tappet so that more force was exerted on one side than the other. I haven't lifted the tappet caps on mine yet so I have no idea if this is the case on the 8V engine BUT the off centre alignment wouldn't need to be great to achieve the desired effect. If however it wasn't enough then the tappet wouldn't spin and wear would be rapid. All the photo's I've seen of tappets that haven't worn to the point of utter destruction have the look of ones that have stopped spinning, at least at some point.

As I said, it's like Russian Roulette. It may be just fine. But if it DOES go tits it is worth remembering that the oil pump is the ONLY part of the motor to get un-filtered oil and they don't take kindly to having case hardened, (If inadequately!) shite run through them. Another condideration is that the front main bearing is no longer available as a separate part. If you do end up scoring the front main with crap you're up for a new crankcase!

My advice? Do as I did. Check the valve clearances FREQUENTLY during the first 5,000Km. Over-change the oil and use TOTR Yak Fat. If the clearances SUDDENLY change or one changes much more than the others? Stop riding and find out WHY! If it starts to 'Clack'! Call the pick-'em-up truck immediately, do NOT try to nurse it home, every revolution of the cams will be costing money and future reliability.

Pete

Dave and Wayne, congrats!

Wayne, got your photo, now for the info for the Registry please.

Dave, when you pick it up, please take a few photos of you and your new S, and send along to me with info for the Registry to; Todd at GuzziTech.com or PM me for more info.
Welcome to the Forum, and hope to see you online here often, as well as hope to see you on one of our rides soon too. Check out the Southwest Regional Forum here (and don't miss the info for our "Outlaw Ride" come in April).

Did they have to take off the fuel tank?
I hope not. That is a pain in the butt to get off.

Why did they take it apart without replacement parts in hand?

The tank does not have to be removed, but it will have to be raised enough to be able to get to the cam tensioner cap on the right hand cylinder.

Back