• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buying a BREVA 1200 - Tips for servicing at 20,000k

donp71

Just got it firing!
G'day all.

After a little break from Guzzi ownership (previously owned Griso 8V and Le Mans MK 5) I've been bitten by the bug again and will be picking up a second hand Breva 1200 in early March.

As the bike will be due for its 20,000K service and a general checkover and set up not long after I pick it up, I would be grateful if Guzzitech forum members could give me some tips on things to look out for , or that will need a closer look at service time please.

I've already found lots of fantastic info on this site so thanks to Guzzitech and forum members for the quality information found so far. Any ideas from other Breva/Norge 2V owners would be much appreciated.
Thanks and kind regards
Don

Rear suspension linkage gets cooked by 2into 1 joint so grease goes awol requiring new spindles and bearings, not hugely expensive to replace but worth asking if it's been done recently.
My suspension front and back was too soft, I upgraded to Hyperpro springs...... Much better especially 2 up

Not whats exactly needed for the 20k maintenance, but I did following after purchase of a breva 1200 with 30k km's:

Replaced all spark plugs (in-and outside)
Replaced all sparkcaps and lines for NGK (in-and outside)
New oil; engine, gearbox, gearshaft
New oilpressureswitch
Airfolter
Grease on moving brake parts
Grease on all moving parts of the rearshock linkage system
Special electric cleaner inside all connectors and protection spray on the outside
Adjusted/checked valve clearance
New seals on camshaftcover
New oil for brakes front and rear
New oil for clutch
New gaskets on exhaustmanifold

Thats about it i think. Might be over the top, but i hate break downs, so i have read a lot about the known issues here and wanted to do preventive maintenance.

Enjoy your Breva!

I'd grease the headset also. I was surprised at how much the steering sped up once I greased my 07 Griso headset last year.

I wouldn't mess with replacing the oil pressure switch, exhaust manifold gaskets and camshaft cover seals but I'm a "if it works - don't mess with it" type of guy.

I would "belt & suspenders" the connection with the oil pressure sending unit. I crimped & reconnected mine but the dreaded red light cam on again when it's cold. I'm thinking about doing a wire tie to add pressure to the lousy electrical connection.

Not whats exactly needed for the 20k maintenance, but I did following after purchase of a breva 1200 with 30k km's:

Replaced all spark plugs (in-and outside)
Replaced all sparkcaps and lines for NGK (in-and outside)
New oil; engine, gearbox, gearshaft
New oilpressureswitch
Airfolter
Grease on moving brake parts
Grease on all moving parts of the rearshock linkage system
Special electric cleaner inside all connectors and protection spray on the outside
Adjusted/checked valve clearance
New seals on camshaftcover
New oil for brakes front and rear
New oil for clutch
New gaskets on exhaustmanifold

Thats about it i think. Might be over the top, but i hate break downs, so i have read a lot about the known issues here and wanted to do preventive maintenance.

Enjoy your Breva!

Hi Supercruiser.
Your reply covers a lot of what i wanted to know in some good detail. I have a similar mindset to you in terms of wanting to do preventative maintenance, so thanks very much for your list.
Cheers
Don

I'd grease the headset also. I was surprised at how much the steering sped up once I greased my 07 Griso headset last year.

I wouldn't mess with replacing the oil pressure switch, exhaust manifold gaskets and camshaft cover seals but I'm a "if it works - don't mess with it" type of guy.

I would "belt & suspenders" the connection with the oil pressure sending unit. I crimped & reconnected mine but the dreaded red light cam on again when it's cold. I'm thinking about doing a wire tie to add pressure to the lousy electrical connection.

Thanks for this addition also "not-fishing", much appreciated.

Hi Don,
Hope you have a happy time with your new mistress. I have the earlier 2005 1100 2V Breva , usual mods you will find on this forum.
Circumvent the starter button to relay. I did replace soft rear red spring with local yellow King Spring ( its perfect) and cleaned / greased all the rear suspension bearings whilst there. mine had a cat converter, bought Guzzi tech y piece. Replaced the oil pressure sender it stopped the red light finally. When you have the tank off to do that ( see forum notes on that process) replace the " in tank " half plastic fuel filter with all metal type. Then "usual" service, including both plugs each side , you wont be back in there for a long time and Guzzi dont use grease or lube when things are first put together, so check anything else you can see. I didnt change fork oil , mine is way soft and would probably go for a matris kit in the long term, your year model may be fine , I'm sure supercruiser didnt mean it but I would not recommend "New oil for brakes front and rear" , better to use brake/hydraulic fluid " !!!! Check pad wear . My rears were worn out at 20,000 , fronts are fine. My side stand bracket bolt came loose ( not the first Breva to do this ) so check and loctite and add a decent washer in there. You need to take the exhaust off to do it properly, but easier at home than on an interstate trip....
oh and remove the bung from the oil drain pipe from the airbox now and again, drain oil and replace bung.
I have Bridgestone battleaxes currently and will not fit them again. Horrible . might go michelin pilots based on what my bmwobble u mates say....
So after your service go and fang it
ENJOY !
Hope this helps,
Dave
ps you're not also by chance a Norton man are you ?

Hi Don,
Hope you have a happy time with your new mistress. I have the earlier 2005 1100 2V Breva , usual mods you will find on this forum.
Circumvent the starter button to relay. I did replace soft rear red spring with local yellow King Spring ( its perfect) and cleaned / greased all the rear suspension bearings whilst there. mine had a cat converter, bought Guzzi tech y piece. Replaced the oil pressure sender it stopped the red light finally. When you have the tank off to do that ( see forum notes on that process) replace the " in tank " half plastic fuel filter with all metal type. Then "usual" service, including both plugs each side , you wont be back in there for a long time and Guzzi dont use grease or lube when things are first put together, so check anything else you can see. I didnt change fork oil , mine is way soft and would probably go for a matris kit in the long term, your year model may be fine , I'm sure supercruiser didnt mean it but I would not recommend "New oil for brakes front and rear" , better to use brake/hydraulic fluid " !!!! Check pad wear . My rears were worn out at 20,000 , fronts are fine. My side stand bracket bolt came loose ( not the first Breva to do this ) so check and loctite and add a decent washer in there. You need to take the exhaust off to do it properly, but easier at home than on an interstate trip....
oh and remove the bung from the oil drain pipe from the airbox now and again, drain oil and replace bung.
I have Bridgestone battleaxes currently and will not fit them again. Horrible . might go michelin pilots based on what my bmwobble u mates say....
So after your service go and fang it
ENJOY !
Hope this helps,
Dave
ps you're not also by chance a Norton man are you ?

Hi aussiedave,

Thanks very much for your thoughts and information, much appreciated!
Cheers
Don

Hi Don, Welcome back to the Italian bug again. I highly recommend Todd's PC5/ECU flash as a minimum. Serious dollars but worth every penny. Also upgraded to HyperPro suspension front/rears. Happy with them although better is out there just more $$. Do the simple starter relay mode. Normal modes and maintenance has me at 48 k on my 09 1200 Sport and it just gets better.

Thanks 2laner for the reply.
I'm p[leased to say i've now picked up the Breva 1200 2 V and ridden it home from Townsville to Gold Coast in Australia (around 1400kms over 2.5 days).
Love it.
Needs a pipe and a few small tings (think i will add the helibars) but overall really looking forward to owning this Breva.
Cheers
Don

Back