• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Charging issues / Dead battery -- PLEASE READ

I just checked my 2016. Looks like the new wet alternators are 3-phase (three yellow wires).

I think from what Vagrant said earlier in this thread all the wet alternators (US 2015+) are 3-phase and share the same RR part number with the V7II.

So which one works on a 2013 since it looks like the V7II have a different VR? Is that one above for a 2013?
I think the v7II uses a different one . It has 3 yellow wires instead of 2...but i m no electrician. I m waiting a go ahead from someone who bought this:
SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA and i will order it instantly...

Does my bike has a permanent magnet rotor and a 3 wire stator? Its the question of the seller of the mosfet vr...i understand nothing of these things

Last edited:
The shindengen fh020aa is the one to buy for those DIY-ing . It's been said many times over already. If you have three yellow wires then each yellow wires goes into the three pin socket. If you only have two then one in each pin and plug the third. Then I'm assuming you have 4 other wires? They're just doubled up so you twist each together with its double and therefore you'll have essentially two wires to crimp which leaves you with enough pins in the other socket.

I ordered the shindengen mosfet fh020aa unit...now i ll work on the back plate to be fitted on

Hi again , my local dealer is still of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with the way the vr is performing. He said that if guzzi saw that there is something wrong they would have made a recall. I ordered the mosfet unit , should be here in the next weeks. The thing is that here in malta there are no more than 6 v7 bikes and i m pretty sure none of them knows about this problem. But i think i made the right decision finally. Ok my bike is quite new with just 5200kms and it performs great but knowing that their is something wrong i wont enjoy it to the full and who knows when , where or what the fault would be... Anyway thanks for all your imput, patience and advices. Will post an update as the new vr is installed....drive safe..

Ciao

David
Malta :)

Hi again , my local dealer is still of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with the way the vr is performing. He said that if guzzi saw that there is something wrong they would have made a recall.

Dude, you know what I've learned about dealers in my experience so far? Most of them don't give a fuck, and they simply tell you what you want to hear. I'm not saying he is necessarily wrong in his assessment, but saying that MG "would have made a recall" if there was a serious problem...thanks buddy, I can sleep at night now knowing you've got it all figured out. The MOSFET units seem to be a good insurance, whether or not our VRs are performing within the specified range according to the literature, because it seems that majority are at the top end of that range, if not over.

I suspect that for some reason (good price on units) MG made a call to go with RRs that run a little higher voltage than most other manufacturers.

Maybe they also figured that most would use these bikes in short distance urban environments where a rapid charge rate was an advantage and risk of damage to the battery was minimal.

Certainly if mine has been charging at 15.4V since new the battery has survived 3+ years and 10.5k miles so far (though it is showing early signs of damage).

So one could argue the system is working more or less "as designed" but that the design is questionable.

And as I keep repeating, even MG only spec'd 15.0 volts as the high range of the charging system per the service manual (unless the manual is both poorly written and translated, but even then 15 is on the high side according to the industry).

So yeah, change it out either way.

Maybe the battery in these bikes can take that higher charging voltage? I'm wondering if this is an actual design, because why and how could all of these things charge high like this and out of spec? Maybe this is spec?

Maybe the battery in these bikes can take that higher charging voltage? I'm wondering if this is an actual design, because why and how could all of these things charge high like this and out of spec? Maybe this is spec?
You checked yours? I m finding it hard to change an oem thing from my bike just after 5000kms...i love to keep everything original on it... anyway the new vr is on the way so...

As researched and reported earlier in this thread the OEM battery is a Yuasa AGM.

AGM batteries respond well to a higher voltage charge when they are discharged (better than a standard wet lead/acid).

But that means 14.8 rather than 14.4.

Once the battery is charged it must do something else with the excess charge. A more sophisticated charging system would reduce the charge at that point, but since this rudimentary system doesn't appear to do that continues charging at the same level will produce heat in the battery. The higher the charge, the greater the amount of heat and potential damage.

Do this repeatedly and/or long enough and you'll kill the battery.

As I noted much earlier in this thread the older and less used battery in our 11 Ducati 696 appears to be in much better shape than the younger and probably better maintained battery in our 13 V7.

And as I've said, even if the MG spec of 15.0V max appears to be questionable when compared with the battery manufacturer's recommendations, most 13-14 models appear to be testing ABOVE even that.

Bottom line, I don't think 15.1-15.5 is going to harm anything on the bike EXCEPT the battery whose life it will most certainly reduce. But why live with that risk if you don't have to?

As researched and reported earlier in this thread the OEM battery is a Yuasa AGM.

AGM batteries respond well to a higher voltage charge when they are discharged (better than a standard wet lead/acid).

But that means 14.8 rather than 14.4.

Once the battery is charged it must do something else with the excess charge. A more sophisticated charging system would reduce the charge at that point, but since this rudimentary system doesn't appear to do that continues charging at the same level will produce heat in the battery. The higher the charge, the greater the amount of heat and potential damage.

Do this repeatedly and/or long enough and you'll kill the battery.

As I noted much earlier in this thread the older and less used battery in our 11 Ducati 696 appears to be in much better shape than the younger and probably better maintained battery in our 13 V7.

And as I've said, even if the MG spec of 15.0V max appears to be questionable when compared with the battery manufacturer's recommendations, most 13-14 models appear to be testing ABOVE even that.

Bottom line, I don't think 15.1-15.5 is going to harm anything on the bike EXCEPT the battery whose life it will most certainly reduce. But why live with that risk if you don't have to?
Totally agree

Back