• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Oil Leak - Need some advice on how to deal with this

ChappyBoffins

Just got it firing!
Hello again All!
I've got a little problem. I uncovered my 2012 Griso 1200 SE yesterday and found that it has a fair amount of oil leaking out of the left side of the engine. From what i can see on the ground and what is dripping off the motor, I would guess that I've lost maybe around 2oz. of oil. I'm not much of a mechanic so my plan is to get it to my local (30.8 miles from home) MG service department asap so they can fix it.

Plan "A" involves me riding my hemorrhaging bike over there again a little over 30 miles. 2 problems I see with that plan. Problem #1, that's engine oil leaking out, if i loose to much oil the engine could overheat and seize up. Problem #2 when i rev the throttle from a steady idle a bit of oil spurts onto the nearby exhaust pipe and burns off into smoke.

My questions are...

Would you guys advise FOR or AGAINST me riding to the service shop?

Is there a chance that the oil getting on the exhaust pipe could reach flash point and ignite a fire?

Here's a link to a few photos i snapped upon discovery...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f...5-02-25_Griso Oil Leak_150730_zpsaxidnrjh.jpg

Thanks in Advance Everyone!

If the oil spurts out from where it appears to be leaking at the cylinder base gasket I would be worried about losing pressure to the top end. You could build a deflector to keep it off the exhaust pipe with aluminum (aluminium for those in the UK) foil but the loss of pressure and the possibility of oiling the rear tire would have me trailering it in.

Yeah I think you're right. And I agree with getting it hauled in. My local dealer does have a service for that. Just a bit more money for absolutely no risk to me or my baby. Thanks for your help!

Awesome name BTW, love that movie.

The oil looks like it's coming from above the base gasket. My guess would be the gasket that seals the spark plug tube at the valve cover. I would clean that puppy up, start the motor and see what happens. If the leak doesn't show up idling in the drive, I'd ride it around the neighborhood and see what develops. It might be a very simple, easy fix.

I'm sure you've got this sorted by now, did you find the leak? Had a similar problem with mine after replacing the head cover with a brand new one, as I didn't notice the O Ring.... luckily these things are easy and cheap to fix.

Got back from a 400 mile ride yesterday and noticed I have the same thing, I have oil leaking in the same spot, never noticed it on the ride.

Hi,

My G11 has a small leak at that same spot, been like that for years. If the engine needs to be opened I´ll fix it with new gaskets...
Hope I won´t have to remove the cilinders because of that leak becoming bigger.

When I got my Griso, I also found an oil leak on the L/H side of the engine.
It took me a while to find the origin, but on the L/H side of the block, in front of the cylinder and tucked in behind the lower frame rail, there is a fitting with a hose attached to it which I assume is a breather of some kind.
Oil was coming out of fitting where it bolts to the engine, running down and ending up on the fins as directed by the air flow.
I sorted it by removing, and applying a little instant gasket.

2 possible causes, oil pressure sender which is a common source of leakage (inside front of the left barrel area) or as ALS has suggested the hoses or connections at the breather box behind the steering head. I have had the breather hose spout crack at the breather box causing leakage. It would be very unusual for it to be the barrel gasket.
Take the side panels off and the tank if you can and you may be able to diagnose the issue.
If you can't clean it down and run it before rechecking.
Be careful to not overfill the engine oil, the level needs to be checked when hot.
If it is overfull it will blow excess in to the breather and accentuate the problem.

Hi Guzzi tech enthusiasts

I have spotted an oil leek coming from the crank case and flange gasket the rear of the left hand side of bike behind the side stand. Very small leak but noticeable after a ride out today. Its due for a 12000 mile service soon. Is it worth waiting for the service and get the job done with oil and filter change. That sounds so obvious. I'm slowly learning about the Griso from you guys but don't have all the tools yet for my own servicing.

U.K based and having more love than hate of the Griso. Just getting used to the Italian. Now Im wondering if I should check breather pipes?

Ive just replaced the crank/flange gasket and sump gasket, took the bike out for two short rides and no oil leeks. Went out at weekend for a ride, hot day, when i got back oil appeared again? it looks like it's coming from above the flange, when the bike is on the side stand oil moves to the left side rear. Any ideas?

Back