• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What is the real story on T5 bad handling?

Hawghauler

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have read here the T5 with 16" rims can have adverse handling, steering wobble, 2 wheel Parkinson's disease and everything other lurgy known to man. I have also heard if it is well maintained and with good tires it is a sweet little bike. As I have never ridden mine or any other T5 for that matter, and it is in the shop now, I will ride it as is and judge for myself certainly. I read forum threads about changing out the steering stem bearings and adding steering dampeners. Some said to change the stem bearings every 5K which seems extreme to me. What would you consider a good option right up front to do to the 1985 T5 with 12K on the clock as a handling improvement that is tried and tested? It is currently at the dealers and will be getting new shocks and fork springs as they are original and I am assuming time has weakened them. It was suggested to me to install Metzler laser tech tires as a good handling tire which is okay with me and the only testimonial I have received to date. Should the stem bearing be replaced as preventive maintenance? Should I add a steering damper as a guaranteed improvement? I won't be home for months and I am not overly worried about cost. I do plan to let my son use this bike as a starter bike for him and to keep it exercised and I don't want to have a new rider straddling a mechanical bull. He is a very conservative risk averse driver who will probably not exceed speed limit, nothing at all like his old man who likes to ride and drive hard.

The 16 inch tires can be an issue. Hard to find good tires in that size. If it is a little twitchy, lower the for tubes in the triple clamps (raise the triple clamps) if you can. That will increase the trail adding stability.

there are 4 flavours of t5..

the mk1 with 16" front and rear wheels and short head stock frame is lethal ( I survived one, broke it for spares after 4 years to make sure it was gone) head shake , wobble, and dropping violently into corners.

mk2 and mk3 have 16 inch front and 18" rear are much nicer but still have quick steering and drop into corners

mk4 / policia are lovely, have the mille gt frame , 40mm forks and ride like a t3/4

Avon do range of modern 'roadrider' tyres that work well on the t5 16" wheels.

i love me 16 inch wheels bike handles good just lacks ground clearance i have put mine on track and it was fine once i fitted some new rear shocks . Enjoy

Johnno, that is good to hear. The only thing I primarily read is from the naysayers. Tiny wheels surely have their quirks, but I have managed to keep Honda scooters upright year after year while riding two up through the hilly twisties in Thailand with a belly full of Singha beer so perhaps I'll be able to wrestle a T5 around New England once a year. Chances are I will be fairly tame on the bike while I am there anyway. I am not prone road rally racing and I am not Mert Lawwill. I will open it up on the open road.

Johnno is a guzzi test pilot ;-)

The early t5 mk1 with 16" at both ends is has the short head stock narrow yokes and would need to have a spada etc front wheel machined down to make the disks fit into the width available in the forks and a new swing arm to except the increased diameter of the 18"

I amassed all the parts to investigate the possibility of fitting a pair of 18 wheels to mine. After machining the front disks mounts down about 10mm on each side of the wheel I stopped as there was so little thread left i felt the disk mounts would be dangerous

Thanks, I'll run it stock for now. Riding it will a good tattle tale. Like I said, I won't be trying for land speed records through the turns, I'll be using it to scoot around New England to visit friends. I could have bought a car to keep there for my infrequent visits, but that seemed mundane as hell.

Back