• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Problems with my v7 racer engine

Nico.O

Just got it firing!
I'm having trouble with my bike, maybe you could give me a hand.

Ok, so I did some experimentation regarding this problem my bike has, having one of the cylinders (right) working unevenly and also having a less blued pipe at the same cylinder. Well, first thing I did was to check the spark plug gap, and I widened it a little to make sure to have a stronger spark (from 0,6 to 0,8 mm). Next thing I did was to disconnect one of the spark plugs (right) and turn on the bike to see how the left cylinder worked... it worked nice! Had a strong combustion, and a really even sound and rhythm. Then I connected the right one again and disconnected the left cylinder's spark plug and turned on the bike again, this time it took a while to make the bike start, and it also had a quite weak explosion and the sound was uneven as well as the rhythm, it sounded kind of bumpy, soft, and weak.

Valve adjustment is ok, 0,15mm intake 0,20mm exhaust

I can tell I'm not having all the power this bike should give me.

So, what would be your thoughts?

note that my v7r is not the V7 racer II. Year 2014/2015 No. 2572

Thank you in advance.

Nico.

Last edited:
Try swapping plugs and then run your one cylinder test again. You can also try swapping ignition wires (with spark plug boots). I don't think you can swap coils (different P/Ns, I believe).

First thing I would do is check colour of spark plugs is sounds like the right side might be running lean.
My thought is that one of the o2 sensors is faulty.

So are both plugs black?
Try swapping plugs like motoangler was saying and see what happens.
The other option would be to go for a ride get the bike on a bit of a hill and
see if the engine starts to misfire and if so it would indicate a bad spark plug.
I'm wondering if you have bad fuel.

Last edited:
Try swapping the plugs and see what happens.
It might be worth just taking it to the bike shop and get them to check it out for you.
Jeff.

So are both plugs black?
Try swapping plugs like motoangler was saying and see what happens.
The other option would be to go for a ride get the bike on a bit of a hill and
see if the engine starts to misfire and if so it would indicate a bad spark plug.
I'm wondering if you have bad fuel.

I use only quality fuel. Tomorrow i will do the swap to see what happens, and also the "hill riding" experiment. Although i hear that the right cylinder is already misfiring.

Will also try to make a video showing the problem (tomorrow)

Thank you!

Last edited:
I use only quality fuel. Tomorrow i will do the swap to see what happens, and also the "hill riding" experiment. Although i hear that the right cylinder is already misfiring.

Will also try to make a video showing the problem (tomorrow)

Thank you!
Hi
try a new spark plug , and always carry a new spare. Make sure you have the correct / same type as the " good one" Gap should not need to be adjusted on a new plug - if you have some other problem , this plug change will make no difference , but eliminate one possibility. new plugs can fail, especially once blackened.
Let us know how you go.
Dave

Hi
try a new spark plug , and always carry a new spare. Make sure you have the correct / same type as the " good one" Gap should not need to be adjusted on a new plug - if you have some other problem , this plug change will make no difference , but eliminate one possibility. new plugs can fail, especially once blackened.
Let us know how you go.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I just swapped the spark plugs and nothing changed, the right cylinder still runs weird. So the spark plugs are not the problem i guess.

The left (good running) cylinder worked stupendously well with the right cylinder's spark plug in.

Cheers.

Thanks
Nico, pretty well known issue about the varied running between cylinders. There is no way to balance them, so the factory makes it's best attempt via the mapping, since each injector has it's own map. I've worked even harder on it for my re-flash; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-ecu-re-flash-tool/

Thanks GT-Rx!!

Could you elaborate a little? how does the running between cylinders differentiate regarding this issue to your experience?

I will post a video later today to show how my engine works, I thing the difference is too big. I hear miss-firings too, could that be normal?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks

Thanks GT-Rx!!

Could you elaborate a little? how does the running between cylinders differentiate regarding this issue to your experience?

I will post a video later today to show how my engine works, I thing the difference is too big. I hear miss-firings too, could that be normal?

Thanks a bunch.

Hi Nico , + good feedback, welcome to Guzzis , it will feel so good when you have it sorted ! Dave

Hi Nico , + good feedback, welcome to Guzzis , it will feel so good when you have it sorted ! Dave
Hi Dave!

Thanks! It already feels good, I love this bike! i'm having fun fun fun ;) it's just a minor problem, I'm guessing its a bad valve, therefore it's loosing compression on one side.

The bike shouldn't mis-fire, no. I would take it back to the dealer for evaluation. There are very different fuel maps for each cylinder... all I can explain here.

If you think it is loosing compression on one side, do a compression check.
It is easy enough, especially on a Guzzi.
I am not sure about some of the content of this thread, but I hate when people assume.
Test. Verify. Know.

If you think it is loosing compression on one side, do a compression check.
It is easy enough, especially on a Guzzi.
I am not sure about some of the content of this thread, but I hate when people assume.
Test. Verify. Know.
Will do, I'm learning along the way, I need to check how to perform that test.

Thanks!

Back