• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Do Cafe fairings work?

Rob DeMass

Just got it firing!
Do these fairings do a good job of blocking the wind? I'm thinking about retro firing one to my v7 stone.

Attachments

• Cafefairing_zps060740cb.jpg
    Cafefairing_zps060740cb.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 4
Define "blocking the wind". They do what you would expect them to do looking at them. They do not create a particularly large pocket of still air behind them. They do block some wind, and you can crouch down behind them (which is what they were designed for). But mostly they look cool.
I have had them on bikes in the past, never a Guzzi, but I have had them on bikes like a GS500.

Any suggestions on a shield that will work without compromising the undeniable "cool" factor that this bike has? Maybe and extended flyscreen?

I've got one of those dart screens on both of my bikes a Bonneville and the V7.

I DID AN EXPERIMENT ON a windy day on the freeway with the Bonneville. Found out without the dart screen I end up with a death grip on the bars. I'm much more relaxed behind that dart not holding the bars so tight trying to keep myself from being blown around on the bike. I didn't think the darts did any good before that test ride. SO do these small screens do any good, looks to me like they do a great deal of good.

My '04 Breva 750 came stock with a token flyscreen from the factory. I replaced it with a taller factory V7 Stone screen.

It does a better job (than stock) of keeping the bugs off the instruments and off my jacket (but not my helmet visor). It also fit right up without modification of either the bike or the screen.

Originally I wanted a taller screen but am now very happy with the one below. I just carry a damp rag (in a zip-lock) and a small towel in the tank bag to clean the vizor when gassing up.

WindScreen_OEM_mnt.jpg

I was literally just looking at the Dart Marlin when you guys responded. A little taller than the Classic with great reviews. I think that's the ticket for the V7 stone in my garage!

I retrofitted a Lemans1 fairing from airtech streamlining onto the V7 which I thought worked great for blocking the air, it created a distinct bubble which was big enough for me to duck into and it noticeably increased my aerodynamic speed. The downsides were that it looked a bit off since the headlight couldn't sit flush to the opening and the windscreen sloped back in a way that blocked the view of the dash from an upright sitting position.
I've since gone to a Dart flyscreen which looks a lot cleaner and cooler (I'm a fan of supermoto styling) but doesn't block as much wind, I can use my hand to feel the wind being blocked at about mid-chest height but you can't really duck behind it, the flyscreen also creates a lot more noise at highway speeds compared to stock.
X_gxF2YdkQ-5vlW8usUZkpfhX5Ps0nYSPZdg1CM-WbbyNBlmfjnsw3BzvoswFC95pzESwq_yMZN41R79WHrgyjY-l8EYYkjKrVIU03aHQWAD6ZL4QtONdhbDFJrxneONcs4PMd9CSr08ZgYQ28jHyrhtorcRrOWvgrWV2QBJjc9s8BGXyt0PPGLvrlUhfEDYtg-RZqXVsqnku5nz2Na41E4gTvuO2NZbqxi_3IoTX2gYhk7w4p78veeGE4GTlkvd3u5UGyamtDBNCRKHm2wuRHBfLKpwhCwqsL8QFOR4kqEk3gwq3aiXeh292RLdT43eEIS6iDA0feMgIUiXy4S8sDWPHKKyPxD9iqU6Av2s7vIKSt4HeUeugr1xEHFnhQsVvVgcOJ3-lJtOpAebOTxykirj_2Z2uVxjp73ko2FFIJJ9CYFSY1hpScQNPhexTxz7ao9Q1wpODGioaOFZ-0npGmkVs0EsQb4dB9dRQ8qxbKW9WTfH3P07OO2KCGcUnjgxWp4ccaXrMRM7lcyiySIEiQ4EP9sg63GnyfWAFmjhUBZX93rA3ifLrf718rJMaCs-RadW=w882-h661-no

F_jK8ggmITUVK4Mqisn7HYxHo9ZWIo08BZX0DT7MsHCOuUDJ3F3igI4YH_I2fYUhFEv-1WE3mFYfTnXj0b1PWhN3QuUnWpEJ0_jYOr3VbLFMAcxDIVBLiUionUlVBdYRGFGnbloxj6ldlK4jMtaQnn52hCTPqUTMeMzyo5YswPHkX3gK_X5EWRN70VVJIbc_qBAIFipmUwsLRHj-MiOk4pg9B8PZoTGJgWr2I3B22uenVHF0n12F0H8V3_De56VEsr_zbJCspuG-6MyG_hfjnp60d103ywivV8zWPzOLQIJhXeEkkgJj9WB1NmAPXH2n2tI5-B7tgMGu1JSD4Soj4OKo26G8WqUQGBSwj8Ogj2C4DqGafyHckRXJvJrgbNVGY6x3n-SYsZhXCg3j4u2rgSUFkr8Ot1wiA6LPeJjZYgWQ0oik6b-pEA3V4Io8mzecNeyVp6YN24oCF3BrAfJaU-I1nL-Dvi0AF1a3Mguw-hn-kHDKOlbzvrA4Ro0ErA8z6TMU2ojwqhOlNf5VkERji-h5KZdK38hQJhebkmNm-yvntC59xG9aWM4YrO0LajKaC9iH=w496-h661-no

I was literally just looking at the Dart Marlin when you guys responded. A little taller than the Classic with great reviews. I think that's the ticket for the V7 stone in my garage!

I originally wanted the OEM Guzzi windscreen for the stone but it was no longer available. I did not like the Dart Classic and at the time the Marlin was not available so I got this item from MRA (I have used MRA windscreens on both of my previous Triumph Sprints).

I think the Marlin is a good choice.

Upload 2016 3 30 12 3 32

Regards,

Gerry

Image The fairing fitted to my V7 looks better than it performs.
At 70mph on the motorway there's a great deal of wind buffeting, probably little better than a naked bike
but I can't say for sure as the bike already had the fairing fitted when I bought it.

I prefer smaller fairings because they tend to cause less buffeting. It seems you need a small fairing, like the fly screen for the Griso, or a barn door fairing, and I ain't going that way, otherwise you end up with some degree of turbulence. It can also have to do with the individual. Taller or shorter riders will often have very different experiences with a given fairing.
I just go with a small screen that keeps the bug guts off the gauges. A proper seating position and handle bar also helps. If you have the right amount of lean forwards holding onto the bike is no problem, at least for me.

This one worked fabulously - nothing but clean air behind. But I think there are about a thousand variables that affect each install, so you just have to try it.

This one worked fabulously - nothing but clean air behind. But I think there are about a thousand variables that affect each install, so you just have to try it.

I've been thinking about one of those...do you have a source to recommend to me? So how is the wind noise into the helmet with that thing? Although ear plugs can take care of that, long as the turbulence is not an issue for me.

Years ago a friend had one of those on his 350 Honda Café style bike and I remember he thought it was the cats ass at the time.

So which model was it? I notice a couple different models on there.

Strange thing about that site, that orange Triumph belongs to a friend of mine.

That's a good site Bigtex & the prices are reasonable.
I've always found the Le Mans Mk4/5 1/4 fairings quiet good.
My 1100 sport is the best, but like Guzzimoto says, the right seating position is a big plus & Im comfortable with a lean forward position.
I found that a Le Mans will wander slightly in strong cross gusts but the 1100 Sport is rock solid & it's you that gets buffeted.
For the fly type screen I find the Centauro one very good, & intersting I have a wind noisy helmet that I don't use for the sport, but on the Centauro the noise is reduced dramatically.
This is possibly where the airflow from any screen strikes your helmet, the sports screen is low & would possibly benefiet from an upturned lip on the edge of the screen, whereas the Centauro fly screen is angled steep & the wind hits my helmet above the visor.
That fairing on the Triumph looks very good

Back