• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tire changes "on the road"

roadventure

GT Reference
I expect to take a trip this summer on my California that will probably be between 6000 to 9000 miles over a three week period. Based on the dismal life of my OEM Dunlop D251rear tire (~5000miles) I now have Avon tires mounted in hopes they will do somewhat better. Even so, when I start my ride I'll have about 2000 miles on the Avons. So it is highly likely that I'll need, at least, a replacement rear tire before I get home.

What is the feeling about tire changes when traveling. Would you seek out a MG dealer in hopes that they would know the bike better and therefore be less likely to screw anything up? Or, do you feel any competent motorcycle dealer would be able to handle the job?

I know that regardless of which way I go I would need to make sure that the tires were in stock at the chosen dealer by pre-ordering them.

Personally, I would TRY to find a Guzzi dealer and schedule an approximate day to be there and get the tire changed out. The 200 60/16 is kind of an odd size and not all may have one in stock in your approved brand.
If you know you are going to need a tire anyway I would at least offer to pay for the tire and service in advance, that way the dealer will know you are serious.
On a personal note, I always travel with a mushroom type plug kit and a small electric inflator. Just for emergencies don't ya know...
Even if you cannot find a Guzzi dealer on your trips route, a call to most any large multi brand dealer can get you a tire when you need it. Familiarize yourself with the removal process an offer to guide the tech in the correct process. This coupled with an offer to pay for the tire in advance (if not the service too) will probably get you fixed up on the road, and on your way.
Kirk

Personally, I would TRY to find a Guzzi dealer and schedule an approximate day to be there and get the tire changed out. The 200 60/16 is kind of an odd size and not all may have one in stock in your approved brand.
If you know you are going to need a tire anyway I would at least offer to pay for the tire and service in advance, that way the dealer will know you are serious.
On a personal note, I always travel with a mushroom type plug kit and a small electric inflator. Just for emergencies don't ya know...
Even if you cannot find a Guzzi dealer on your trips route, a call to most any large multi brand dealer can get you a tire when you need it. Familiarize yourself with the removal process an offer to guide the tech in the correct process. This coupled with an offer to pay for the tire in advance (if not the service too) will probably get you fixed up on the road, and on your way.
Kirk

Kirk,

Yes, I do always have my tubeless tire repair kit and pump onboard whenever I am out on the bike. I do agree with you that purchasing the tire and labor cost up front at a chosen location is mandatory. My question centered around opinions on whether it would make a lot of difference for a MG dealer to remove the rear wheel assembly and dismount/mount the new tire. I have removed the rear wheel assembly once myself and it was a miserable experience. This was due to the fact the MG does not apply any grease to the drive spline. But, I did apply grease when I reassembled it, so the job may not be such a bear the next time.

best shot is a Bridgestone 704 for the 2012 &up Gold wing. it's a 180 -16 but they last and I bet it handles better. assuming you don't want to put on a car tire that will go 20-35000 miles.

best shot is a Bridgestone 704 for the 2012 &up Gold wing. it's a 180 -16 but they last and I bet it handles better. assuming you don't want to put on a car tire that will go 20-35000 miles.

Car tires are called that for a reason, but yes, I may go to a 180 tire made for the Gold Wing (i.e.: very heavy bike). It is clear that the OEM tire is not a good match for the California.

I was watching the thread elsewhere in the forum where Todd had mounted a 180/65 tire on a California and it seems to be working out pretty well.

But, that is for the future. Right now, I have a 200/60 AVON on the rear as previously stated.

Last edited:
My experience was, once you beat the rusted original fitment off the final drive and grease it well, I used Honda Moly 60, the next 2 tires slid right off like it was originally designed to do. Yes they eat tires. I sold mine with 14,000+ miles. OEM Dunlops, Metzler 888's and Avon's. The Avons were about due for replacement but probably would have beat the other 2 by maybe 1,000 miles.

The Guzzi saddle bag liners are great for the tire pump/tool kit thing. I kept an electric tire pump, SOS repair kit and a small bag of assorted tools that I purchased at Harbour freight because hopefully I seldom or never was going to need them. I could put all of that in one of the smaller of the three bags that fits in each saddle bag. That left the other 5 bags for my clothes and stuff plus the 50L trunk.

I too always carry a plug kit and a small compressor. As Murphy has followed me around my whole life, I know the added annoyance of carrying tools and repair kits keep me from breaking down. Just let me forget to carry it once and I guarantee I will have a mechanical failure that would have been easily corrected by my tool kit. As I now keep a bike up north and one down south, I have duplicate kits. I just bought a Williams socket set along with some Wright open end box along with other assorted goodies all, US made. I figure quality forged tools are never more important than in the field. As for tires, if odd sizes are hard to come by, having one waiting for you on the trail is just good logistics. I'd plan it for an area I'd like to spend a day in. Being a new Guzzi owner, I have not experienced the dealer network on the trail. I have mainly toured with Harleys and their dealer network is fabulous and they are always solicitous of guys on the road.

My experience was, once you beat the rusted original fitment off the final drive and grease it well, I used Honda Moly 60, the next 2 tires slid right off like it was originally designed to do. Yes they eat tires.

Rudy,

I did the same thing. The HONDA Moly 60 is good stuff. I've been using it for quite a while. I am looking forward to the next tire change going much better.

I truly don't understand why the California goes through rear tires so quickly though. It doesn't produce an extreme amount of torque or HP. It is not particularly heavy compared to other cruiser/tourer type bikes. I had a Venture (~870 LBS) that had a 150/90-15 rear tire and I would regularly get 10,000 miles on the rear tire before needing a change. The torque and HP ratings for the two bikes are very similar but the Venture is heavier.

Some might say the California makes more torque at lower engine speeds than the Venture and that is why the California goes through rear tires so quickly. However I also own a Yamaha Raider (~730 LBS) which makes significantly more HP and torque than the California. Like the California a large part of the available torque starts at lower engine speeds. Yet, the Raider will run 8000-10000 miles on a rear tire depending on brand.

It is a mystery to me how MG is able to design a motorcycle that in spite of all other things wears out rear tires so effectively.

Hi guys, for what it's worth I bought an Eldorado in November that now has 9,800 kms on the original Dunlops (American Elites) including a 5000km tour of Tasmania two up and fully loaded, panniers, top box, tank bag and extra bag on top of topbox. They are different sizes to the Cali tyres, 130/90/16 and 180/65/16 but being smaller diameter you would expect them to wear quicker. To me they look good for another few thousand kms yet. I have a friend with a Cali that needs new tyres every 5000 kms under similar conditions, I've no idea why there is such a difference. No issues with grip in wet or dry, the foot board knobs are just about worn away.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 21
They (Eldorado tires) are different sizes to the Cali tyres, 130/90/16 and 180/65/16 but being smaller diameter you would expect them to wear quicker. To me they look good for another few thousand kms yet. I have a friend with a Cali that needs new tyres every 5000 kms under similar conditions, I've no idea why there is such a difference. No issues with grip in wet or dry, the foot board knobs are just about worn away.

John

John,

I suspect that it may be a matter of rubber compound and/or intended purpose. The 180/65-16 is the rear tire size used by the Honda Gold Wing. Several companies make tires designed specifically for the Gold WIng, which as you know is clearly a touring bike as well as being much heavier than the California. Having the Eldorado which uses the 180/65-16 puts you in the desirable position of having a good selection of tires that ARE made for touring motorcycles. Those of us with the California (Custom/Touring) which uses the 200/60-16 might be relegated being stuck with a tire selection which is directed at sport or sport touring bikes (read: softer, less suited for a touring bike application)

Some good tips offered and I can add that shops be it Honda, Harley, BMW, etc., have been very helpful the few times I've needed help while traveling (nowhere near the few preferred dealerships). I always carry any unique tool or relay I may need and then any good mechanic can give a hand. On long trips I have gotten easily twice + the mileage out of the "same" tire I may use up in 3-5Ks on our lovely local mountain twisty roads. The variables are numerous, be it temps, load, rider habits, etc., but also the limited heat cycles the tires are exposed to over greater miles typically seen while touring. YRMV, but I was routinely and pleasantly surprised at the wear even though I was prepared to call ahead and set up a tire appointment. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy and safe travels!

it's simple really. slapping the throttle hard on those two big jugs has each power pulse hitting the tire hard. when you shut the throttle hard the compression braking is doing everything it can to lock up the rear wheel stripping off rubber as it goes.
smooth concrete is easy on a tire and coarse asphalt is very aggressive almost like a file on them.
every time you switch from a hard right hander to a hard left in the mountains you are creating lots of heat compared to driving a straight line. like sticking a piece of plastic on a grinding wheel and shaping it.

it's simple really. slapping the throttle hard on those two big jugs has each power pulse hitting the tire hard. when you shut the throttle hard the compression braking is doing everything it can to lock up the rear wheel stripping off rubber as it goes.
smooth concrete is easy on a tire and coarse asphalt is very aggressive almost like a file on them.
every time you switch from a hard right hander to a hard left in the mountains you are creating lots of heat compared to driving a straight line. like sticking a piece of plastic on a grinding wheel and shaping it.

I get it. How do you explain another V-Twin bike, the same weight, more HP, more torque that gets better mileage out of a rear tire? How do you explain a heavier bike (V4) with the same HP and torque that gets twice the rear tire mileage. Oh, and they all have the same rider; me.

I am not buying. There has got to be mismatch between the tire and the intended purpose of the bike.

At this point, it is all academic to me anyway. I will be running for 8000+ miles on a trip this summer. Then I'll have a much better REAL feel for tire wear.

Last edited:
I have found I get about 30% more out of a 3 or 4 cylinder bike than a V twin.
back in 96 I had an R1100R and never got 6000 but I meet a lady with the same identical bike that was at 18000 on the same tires.
when I was in sales for a company covering 5 states all of us drove the same truck, same tires, same load inside. 3 different sales guys covering Iowa over the years all got twice the mileage out of tires as the me covering Northern Wisconsin and Minnesota. go figure!
after getting tired of searching for tires and getting screwed on price for the Gold wing I tried a car tire. Michelin Alpin 3 180/65 I think /16 running 42 PSI it handles as well in the mountains as a cycle tire and I got 20000 out of the first one. 8-10000 on the Bridgestone 704. some guys running interstates get twice that on the car tire. there are tires that work for 1/2 the cost but the Alpin is a run flat and that is a great feature.

Back