• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Foreign object dropped in Norge cylinder

DaveGibbons

Just got it firing!
I am an idiot. right that's out the way! Whilst doing tappet clearance on my 2 valve 2008
Norge I foolishly used a pencil in plug hole to find top of piston stroke and unfortunately I must have had a slight angle and a piece of pencil about 30mm (inch and quarter)snapped off and dropped in. Cannot see it to retrieve so unless anyone has any ideas I am going to have to lift the head and get it out. no metal involved all wood .
I have bought new head gasket and relevant o rings just wondered if any Ideas or pitfalls before I take head off! Tried to fish for it with various items no luck. Plan is head up object out all straight back on.

Moral of story don't use anything that can break as a tool and is not flexible to find TDC!

regards

Dave

You will probably get better advice than mine but....... I'd pull the head. Depending upon the mileage/wear, I might pull both and freshen the top end. Turn a mistake into a bigger maintenance action that could be beneficial.

I would persevere , bring piston up in the cyl and try to either stab the pencil with a long needle like thing or try to get something to stick to it ... maybe chewing gum on the end of a screwdriver ...... seems a shame to pull the head , I know that technically it aint a biggie .
Whats wrong with using the timing marks on the flywheel to find TDC . When I do mine I just turn motor over until the intake valve is well open ( full lift ) and then set the exhaust , and viki verka for the intake . theory being that with one valve at full lift the other will be on the base circle of the cam:)

[Almost] BTDT. Quite literally with a wooden pencil. :cry:

Assume you have tried such workarounds, but ...

* Careful use of a "grab-it" claw.

* A grease-laden straw or the like to locate, attach, and bring out. [Would not any grease left in there combust harmlessly later?]

And, would not a light shot of compressed air in there while at TDC bring it round to settle near the plug port for easier access?

Best wishes,

Bill

Last edited:
if it was a wood pencil with an eraser on the top that has a metal ring around it a small round flexible shaft magnet might get it done for you.
too late but next time A. use a big straw. B. watch for the intake valve to go down then come back up until it stops rising then put in the straw, continue until the straw stops rising, mark straw with magic marker for next time and then set both valves while it is at top dead center on the compression stroke. if you look into the inspection hole on the right side of the engine you will then see the proper mark. see your owners manual to tell what letter is for each cylinder.

Managed to remove virtually all via spark plug hole with a thin hook of metal wire and very sticky chewing gum!
It had broken up and some small fragments I could not recover this way. As only soft wood I took the decision to put all back together and blow the small fragments out! Took on 50 mile thrash and it is running perfect. I removed both plugs and checked electrodes all is well.
The old tractor is tough! We live and learn.

Regards

Dave

Managed to remove virtually all via spark plug hole with a thin hook of metal wire and very sticky chewing gum!
It had broken up and some small fragments I could not recover this way. As only soft wood I took the decision to put all back together and blow the small fragments out! Took on 50 mile thrash and it is running perfect. I removed both plugs and checked electrodes all is well.
The old tractor is tough! We live and learn.

Regards

Dave

It is better to be lucky than good some times!!;)

Decades ago (1975) I was working on my 1956 Cadillac and my 10 year old cousin poured a tube full of BBs into the open intake manifold. He almost did not make it to age 11. I had to pull both heads as I could not trust a magnet. His dad was not happy with me as I nearly beat him like the douche he was. To this day I don't have anything to do with him.

Back