• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First issue

Nu2Guzzi

Just got it firing!
140 miles on the new bike and I have noise coming from what might be the throw out bearing. When I release the clutch in neutral, it sounds like I have marbles bouncing around down on the right hand side. I'm wondering if the clutch was adjusted properly during the initial set up.

Likely the dry clutch noise. Don't sweat it. Clutch is hydraulic, so no real adjustment to be had.

Thank You for the quick reply Todd. This noise certainly sounded wrong. it wasn't a light tap or clack. It was marbles bouncing around in a cast pan noisy. The sound was louder than the idling bike. I rode the bike home and the noise had all but gone away. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and hope that it's noisy when I get there.

140 miles on the new bike and I have noise coming from what might be the throw out bearing. When I release the clutch in neutral, it sounds like I have marbles bouncing around down on the right hand side. I'm wondering if the clutch was adjusted properly during the initial set up.

I was used to bikes with wet clutches. The California is the first bike I have owned with a dry clutch. It did feel a little rough and noisy at first, but I have gotten used to the feel more as I ride more.

If this is the first bike you have owned with a dry clutch, give it some time.

Last edited:
I've ridden multiple mid 70's Honda CBs of all sizes, I'm used to all sorts of noise. My concern is the rattling all of a sudden today. It was not there before.

Maybe I'm wrong- i'd just rather be safe than sorry

Thank You for the quick reply Todd. This noise certainly sounded wrong. it wasn't a light tap or clack. It was marbles bouncing around in a cast pan noisy. The sound was louder than the idling bike.
My pleasure, and yes... you just described the dry clutch on nearly every big block Guzzi. For sure, get it checked to relieve your worries, but you'll likely hear "they all sound like that." Clutch operation is normal, yes?

Yes, the clutch seems to work fine. I had a similar sound come from a bad bearing in the clutch on an 87 Mustang I owned. Abuse killed that one. I've been good to the Guzzi.

I've ridden multiple mid 70's Honda CBs of all sizes, I'm used to all sorts of noise. My concern is the rattling all of a sudden today. It was not there before.

Maybe I'm wrong- i'd just rather be safe than sorry

Then you have lots of experience with bikes that have oil lubricated clutches. Maybe you're wrong. I think you are and hope you get the same information from your dealer.

I had a 2000 Ducati St4 with the 916 motor.

Talk about clutch jingle jangle! I bought a carbon fiber clutch cover and took off the metal one. It was even louder! I then installed the carbon fiber cover over the metal one just to avoid the stares at stoplights.

Service today found the clutch unusually noisy. It wasn't making that much noise when the bike was there. The service writer has told me that Piaggio's position is that they will not replace it until it fails. It is on record and they want me to take notes as to the changes in noise during the break in period. The service writer suggested I contact Guzzi's customer support and voice my concern so that there is another record on file.

Back