• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

VA Guzzi Riders?

Hello from far southwest Virginia. Recently purchased a 2007 Griso 1100 from a gentleman in northern Georgia. It is my first Guzzi. Loved the Griso since first introduced and gambled that it won't be to hard to maintain since the closest dealer is in western NC. Don't know any Guzzi owners in my area near Bristol, VA. Would like to know if there will be a VA Guzzi rally in 2015. Also own a 2009 Triumph Bonny T100 and a 1995 Ducati 900 SS CR.

Welcome.

As John said, the details are on the MGNOC website, but the short version is at Willville, the 26 - 28 June weekend.

I hope to be there on the Norge with Kathi after the national rally near Keene, N.H., the prior weekend, and en route to helping one of our kids and her family settling in at Fort Bragg.

FWIW, I’ll be riding from here — Cross Junction, at the top of Virginia — to Atlanta next weekend. Details here:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cross-junction-to-atlanta-16-may.14536/

If you are around and have the time and inclination, maybe we can meet up somewhere near you.

As I said in that other thread, I make that run to Atlanta and back every month, and, in riding weather, mostly on a Guzzi. This time, I’ll be on the Norge, especially as I am taking a “long cut” via central Kentucky on the return leg. Besides, the Griso is hors de combat just now, awaiting me to finish a service. See pix.

i-cxt5FRn-L.jpg

i-x4Btbwb-L.jpg

You are right to say “from far SW Virginia.” Folks sometimes forget how big Virginia is, but the distance between your home and ours — at opposite ends of the Commonwealth — are nearly 400 miles apart! My favorite route to Georgia and back is via SR 42, but this trip I may take 220/219 and spend the night vic. Bluefield.

Let me know if you think you can “come out and play.”

Bill

Welcome.

As John said, the details are on the MGNOC website, but the short version is at Willville, the 26 - 28 June weekend.

I hope to be there on the Norge with Kathi after the national rally near Keene, N.H., the prior weekend, and en route to helping one of our kids and her family settling in at Fort Bragg.

FWIW, I’ll be riding from here — Cross Junction, at the top of Virginia — to Atlanta next weekend. Details here:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/cross-junction-to-atlanta-16-may.14536/

If you are around and have the time and inclination, maybe we can meet up somewhere near you.

As I said in that other thread, I make that run to Atlanta and back every month, and, in riding weather, mostly on a Guzzi. This time, I’ll be on the Norge, especially as I am taking a “long cut” via central Kentucky on the return leg. Besides, the Griso is hors de combat just now, awaiting me to finish a service. See pix.

i-cxt5FRn-L.jpg

i-x4Btbwb-L.jpg

You are right to say “from far SW Virginia.” Folks sometimes forget how big Virginia is, but the distance between your home and ours — at opposite ends of the Commonwealth — are nearly 400 miles apart! My favorite route to Georgia and back is via SR 42, but this trip I may take 220/219 and spend the night vic. Bluefield.

Let me know if you think you can “come out and play.”

Bill
Sorry for the much delayed reply, but I don't recall being "pinged" via email about your post and obviously had not revisited this thread. Admire your setup for working on your bikes! : ) I did not make the state rally but did ride to Floyd, VA in August for a lunch gathering with SWVA MGNOC riders. Camped overnight on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Rocky Knob. Nice ride from BSG down to Abingdon where I picked up Rt 58 to Meadows of Dan and the BRP. Let me know next time you're headed to GA and perhaps we can cross paths. Nice looking Griso, BTW. What year is it?

Happy Thanksgiving from — for a few days, anyway, while we celebrate our countless blessings with our Army kids — Fort Bragg, N.C.

Came down from Cross Junction, after an 600-mile r/t detour and interim stop in the opposite direction in Erie, Pa., :rolleyes: to pick up Kathi’s 93-YO dad (and his 81-YO girlfriend (really):inlove::D, then to N.C. All on slab in a Buick “fat ride.”

Wondered what had happened to you. I likely won’t be back down your way on a Guzzi ’til spring, but will ping you when I do. FWIW, my email is wrhagan AT earthlink DOT net. Of course, too, if you find yourself near Winchester, stop by.

Oh … the Griso is a 2010. I love it. Sadly, it’s at Rose Farm Classics just now getting “rollerized.” $igh. :cry:

Best,

Bill

Happy Thanksgiving from — for a few days, anyway, while we celebrate our countless blessings with our Army kids — Fort Bragg, N.C.

Came down from Cross Junction, after an 600-mile r/t detour and interim stop in the opposite direction in Erie, Pa., :rolleyes: to pick up Kathi’s 93-YO dad (and his 81-YO girlfriend (really):inlove::D, then to N.C. All on slab in a Buick “fat ride.”

Wondered what had happened to you. I likely won’t be back down your way on a Guzzi ’til spring, but will ping you when I do. FWIW, my email is wrhagan AT earthlink DOT net. Of course, too, if you find yourself near Winchester, stop by.

Oh … the Griso is a 2010. I love it. Sadly, it’s at Rose Farm Classics just now getting “rollerized.” $igh. :cry:

Best,

Bill
And Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well. We are styaing in Big Stone Gap for the holiday this year. Will be visiting with extended family in Harrisonburg, VA in a couple weeks.

Rode up to your neighborhood (sort of) several years ago with a riding buddy to meet his brother who had ridden from Denver, CO to a meeting in Sheperdstown. We spent a night at Cacapon Resort Park and then accompanied his brother for a few hours west on his rerturn home to CO.

Worked in a short ride yesterday to try a new Tourmaster Transistion 4 jacket. So far so good. It got up to 57 degrees and was tolerable with just a long sleeved t-shirt underneath the coat. Alas, the riding days will be fewer and further between. Ping me when you head this way in the spring and I'll so the same if I get up your way.

BTW, rollerized?

Cacapon SP is just over the state line in W.V., about 12 miles north of our home in Cross Junction, Va. Kathi, who is a jockette, thinks it great fun to climb the mountain there, and drags me along. I mutter mutinously, but do my duty. :angel:

The "roller" problem is addressed elsewhere in this forum, but, as I understand it -- and please do not infer that I understand more than the mere basics -- this is the short and sad story.

From c.2008 - 2012 8v engines (Grisos, Stelvios, Norges) were initially fitted with "flat tappets." Along the way, issues arose and it became evident that all engines so equipped would inevitably fail because the flat tappets abraded ultra-hard coatings that circulated throughout the engine and thus resulted to eventual catastrophe. :cry:

The answer seems to be to replace the flat tappets with "roller" tappets, thus my reference to "rollerized." The factory did that, I think, to all new machines sometime in mid-2012. Mine is a 2010, thus long out of warranty. We shall see, but, regrettably, it is not free.

I love my Griso, but as it appears that Moto Guzzi continued -- knowingly -- to roll out defective machines has sobered even me of my once-drunken state from Mandello kool-aid. I am not sure that -- now having bought four new Guzzis -- I can ever trust those folks again. :swear:

That said, with three of those still in the harem, I hardly need another! ;)

Best,

Bill

Cacapon SP is just over the state line in W.V., about 12 miles north of our home in Cross Junction, Va. Kathi, who is a jockette, thinks it great fun to climb the mountain there, and drags me along. I mutter mutinously, but do my duty. :angel:

The "roller" problem is addressed elsewhere in this forum, but, as I understand it -- and please do not infer that I understand more than the mere basics -- this is the short and sad story.

From c.2008 - 2012 8v engines (Grisos, Stelvios, Norges) were initially fitted with "flat tappets." Along the way, issues arose and it became evident that all engines so equipped would inevitably fail because the flat tappets abraded ultra-hard coatings that circulated throughout the engine and thus resulted to eventual catastrophe. :cry:

The answer seems to be to replace the flat tappets with "roller" tappets, thus my reference to "rollerized." The factory did that, I think, to all new machines sometime in mid-2012. Mine is a 2010, thus long out of warranty. We shall see, but, regrettably, it is not free.

I love my Griso, but as it appears that Moto Guzzi continued -- knowingly -- to roll out defective machines has sobered even me of my once-drunken state from Mandello kool-aid. I am not sure that -- now having bought four new Guzzis -- I can ever trust those folks again. :swear:

That said, with three of those still in the harem, I hardly need another! ;)

Best,

Bill
Don't blame you for feeling that way. Not the best business model. My 07 Griso has suffered starting issues since I bought it used in February. Have replaced the battery, starter/solenoid and added an after-market starter relay. So far, it seems to be working, but I've been told to keep a trickle charger on the battery if the bike is going to sit more than a week or two. Hope they get your Griso straightened out soon.

I just bought a 2016 Audace in Richmond. With any luck I can pick it up next week(waiting on some accessory parts to come in). For those in the central Va area you will see me on it or my Bonneville T100 Black.

I know someone else in the Chesterfield area with an older Eldorado(70's although I can't remember the exact year).

Any Guzzi Riders in Virginia by the way?

There are a few pockets of them that I know of. The Virginia MGNOC rep, Ron Komoroski, lives in Lynchburg. There is another group in the Alexandria/Warrenton/Manassas area, and a third batch down around Chesapeake. Those three areas have some kind of local monthly breakfast or dinner meeting. There are other owners scattered around, and also dealers in Winchester and Richmond. Where are you?

Howard

PS
I'm in Laurel, Maryland and there are also a few Guzzis in the DC area.

Howard,

I am in Bel Air, Maryland. I work in Elkridge, not too far from Laurel.

Hello, Virginia Norge V8 rider here. I'm looking for someone who has the equipement and would be willing to teach me how to synch throttle bodies/tsp. I live in Christiansburg, VA and would be willing to ride pretty far to get this done (not as far as a authorized dealer which is 3+ highway hours away and requires me to drop off the bike and pick up next day). Anyone interested in helping me out. I'm not looking for a freebie, willing to pay for time.

I think I'll try the Warrenton lunch next month. Guzzi owners are an interesting group.

If you mean the NOVA group, don't think they meet there any longer despite the notice in the MGNOC newsletter.

See this:

Subject: Moto Guzzi Dinner - rescheduled
Date:
19July, 2016 at 09:29:27 EDT
To: <snip>

Hi All,
This is a reminder that our monthly dinner was moved to this coming Thursday, the 21st. [that was July's, btw; not sure if August has happened; didn't get email. I'll ping Andrew with your post.]

See you at Tony's!

take care,
Andrew
<biga - AT - crosslink.net>
540-EIGHT-ZERO-NINE-7557

Tony's New York Pizza
9108 Mathis Avenue (directly across the street from Manassas Honda)
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 330-8109
http://www.tonysnewyorkpizza.com
Hello, Virginia Norge V8 rider here. I'm looking for someone who has the equipement and would be willing to teach me how to synch throttle bodies/tsp. I live in Christiansburg, VA and would be willing to ride pretty far to get this done (not as far as a authorized dealer which is 3+ highway hours away and requires me to drop off the bike and pick up next day). Anyone interested in helping me out. I'm not looking for a freebie, willing to pay for time.

Not sure which dealer you mean, but I do not believe that Winchester Motorsports -- http://www.winchestermotosports.com -- would so insist. I am about to buy some carb stick set-up to stumble (PI) through this myself. Will let you know when I decide on my OJT tech day. WE can learn together; if it works on mine, you can try. :giggle:

I have a nice shop with lift and tools; if only I were competent. :rofl:

Bill

If you mean the NOVA group, don't think they meet there any longer despite the notice in the MGNOC newsletter.

See this:

Date:

Hi All,
This is a reminder that our monthly dinner was moved to this coming Thursday, the 21st. [that was July's, btw; not sure if August has happened; didn't get email. I'll ping Andrew with your post.]

See you at Tony's!

take care,
Andrew
540-EIGHT-ZERO-NINE-7557

Tony's New York Pizza
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 330-8109

Not sure which dealer you mean, but I do not believe that Winchester Motorsports -- http://www.winchestermotosports.com -- would so insist. I am about to buy some carb stick set-up to stumble (PI) through this myself. Will let you know when I decide on my OJT tech day. WE can learn together; if it works on mine, you can try. :giggle:

Bill

Bill
That would be great. I think It's pretty simple (from what I saw online) just

See this:

Date:

Hi All,

See you at Tony's!

take care,
Andrew
540-EIGHT-ZERO-NINE-7557

Tony's New York Pizza
Manassas, VA 20110
(703) 330-8109

Bill

Bill
That would be great. Let me know when you get the equipement and I would love to learn and try to do this. I'll message you my contact info and number when it's time to get together and do some work.

Thanks
Daniel K

Back