• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

This will be my first posting, I didn't realised I signed up here when I bought my 1400 Touring in Sept. 2013.
I had a R1200 C Montauk for 8 years and averaged 10000km / year. Always had Metzler, ME 880. Each set averaged 36000km and both front and back wore evenly.
The original tires on my Cali lasted < 14000km and I was happy to change to a set of ME 880.
I feel safe and comfortable on these tires and probably not ride on anything else. Cheers, pjf

pjf, how did you like your R1200 C? I have been lurking on Chromeheads for a while and really like those bikes. I plan to add one of those to the stable in the next year or so.

pjf, how did you like your R1200 C? I have been lurking on Chromeheads for a while and really like those bikes. I plan to add one of those to the stable in the next year or so.

Hello Clayton, I really liked my Montauk, my friends with HDs didn't. Whenever we stop a crowd gathered around my bike and ignoring the Harleys. What I disliked most is the BMW corporate culture. Since I always have my bikes serviced from the dealer I was fleeced at every service interval. "Chromeheads" best website motorcycle related and a bunch of good guys to hang around with on or off line.
I have my Cali for 2 years now and I prefer it over the C. Cheers, pjf

I'm Nat and I gotta say that changing to these tires has transformed the bike. It eliminated the under steer I was feeling before, I can ride more aggressively through the twisties without fear of touching down or dragging hard parts.
This is a good cheap upgrade for the bike.
How is that 180 rear feeling? any further insights as to wear and feel would be great. thanks Glenn

I guess it is not so good as you first thought or am I guessing wrong????

Sorry. I'm not on here much. I still love the tires and they aren't showing wear after 2000 miles(I'm guessing, could be more).

Sorry. I'm not on here much. I still love the tires and they aren't showing wear after 2000 miles(I'm guessing, could be more).
Thanks, I have ordered a 180, Avon will be mounting it soon, did you have to reset your speedo? Loving the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT on the front great grip and decent milage at speed so far, should be good for 12000k, Avon 200 rear has done about 8000k and is down to the indicators but not bad for a Sth island trip and a Wairarapa loop two up{ Harley riders bike broke. Amazing the lengths people will go to to get a ride on a Guzzi}

I did have to recalibrate for the new tire. It was causing the traction control to kick in way too early.

It's a shame the Harley guys are willing to break their bikes just for a ride on a Guzzi. All they gotta do is ask...

I want to remove my wheels to put on new rubber. Do I need to remove the tone wheel (ABS) sensor or anything else before I take the wheels to the shop? And.. are there any specific things to this bike I need to know? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The ring looks kinda fragile, my other bike doesn't have one. Didn't want to take it somewhere & have them screw it up.

Well, I finally did swap out the factory Dunlops for Avon Cobras. I really hated to do it as the Dunlops weren't shot (by standard definition)...yet.

I guess it really depends on what you consider when determining that a tire is indeed 'shot'. In my case it wasn't treadlife but increasing tire noise that did in the Dunlops.

Around town, the Guzzi sounded like it had a blown wheel bearing...loud and coarse. Jacked up, I couldn't reproduce the noise.

So, I figured if the wheels were coming off to really check the bearings, then I'm might as well change the tires. Well, it wasn't the bearings.

The difference was immediate. I was straining to hear any noise from the Avons. They were silent...just like they have been on any other bike that I've put them on.

To me, the Guzzi is more responsive and quicker going into corners. Which again has been my experience when I've put Avons on any of my other bikes. (But a disclaimer, this is the first time I've swapped a radial for a radial and not a bias-ply for a radial).

I did have to recalibrate for the new tire. It was causing the traction control to kick in way too early.

It's a shame the Harley guys are willing to break their bikes just for a ride on a Guzzi. All they gotta do is ask...
I put an Avon Cobra 180/70/16 on the rear on Friday and headed of to the Anzac rally at Tahora [just past Whangmomona} on Saturday, wow, what a difference it has made, heading along the Wiremu road it was noticeable instantly, cruising along there at 120 - 150s was so much better not having to crank it over to get round the bends it just turned in so nice, on to the Forgotten World Hwy and it felt even better as I was getting used to it. The 180 has made a huge difference on these tight roads, will have to wait and see how long it lives for, my last 200 Avon did 8500 ks and could have been pushed to 9500 at a pinch, Well worth trying the 180. Thanks for the post.

Just took the rear wheel off today with 7000 miles, might have got a few more but rather be safe...wheel came off with out too much drama, had to bu 20160425 181704 y a metric socket for the axle nut & had my bro. hold up the caliper for enough room to get it out.

Attachments

• 20160425_181639.jpg
    20160425_181639.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160425_181704.jpg
    20160425_181704.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 21
Bought these, now need to find someone to mount in San Diego

Attachments

• 1461634871553-2050989588.jpg
    1461634871553-2050989588.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 79
Just took the rear wheel off today with 7000 miles, might have got a few more but rather be safe...wheel came off with out too much drama, had to buView attachment 10219 y a metric socket for the axle nut & had my bro. hold up the caliper for enough room to get it out.

Appears like the TWI is located in the next "zag" about where your coin is in the "zig" (technical tire sipe term).... I'd say you got your $ worth.

Back