• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suggestions on mounting radar and gps on Stelvio

This is great. First, I get to spend quality winter garage time engineerning and snipping and trimming and I end up with a nice bracket. A tiny bit of roughness shows from the file-to-fit method of fabrication, but it will do just fine.

But then you guys want some, and that provides a justification to whip out the milling machine! Woo hoo!

gps002.jpg

So, brackets now available. I can leave them bare or I can spray them a nice metallic black (it's what I had in the garage :cheer:). Say $5 for the bracket, a $1 for a padded mailer, and whatever the postage is to your place? Send me a private message with your address, I'll figure out the postage and send you a total. Paypal or check, I'm easy.

WooHoo :lol: :silly: :p ;) :) :laugh:

Sent you a PM, I'll take two, one for the Caponord and one for the Stelvio.

Where did you get the RAM ball with mounting accessory to mount to your bracket?

Ok boys, Ive got the skinny on the Guzzi GPS mating plug. You wont believe the results and the roller coaster I rode to find the facts.

We can't get the matching plug connector. Its a proprietary design that only Mercedes Benz or one of their wiring harness manufacturing subsidiaries or licensees can buy.

The connector on the bike is a TYCO part number 968405-1 series A (very important suffix). The matching connector needed to feed a pigtail for a GPS or other accessory is TYCO part number 967079 series A.

I had several emails and personal conversations with TYCO about these parts which are german-sourced items. They located the part number and design but then discovered that these connectors were restricted and only supplied to Mercedes or one of their subsidiaries. Apparently, Mercedes controls some wiring harness plants that use this connector for not only Mercedes products but also for BMW and obviously Guzzi's little GPS pigtail. The same connectors as found on our bikes are also used on various BMW brake fluid reservoir sensors and water level sensors but you probably cant go to a BMW dealer or even a Mercedes dealer and order these small parts.

TYCO said that Mercedes and BMW typically do a from-scratch design and build of even the smallest connectors for their harnesses and then contract to someone like TYCO to do the manufacturing. As with this connector, TYCO cannot manufacture or sell to a non-authorized party.

They did say that if I got a letter of authorization from Mercedes corporate, they might could make me a couple of thousand of the connectors but otherwise they couldnt help in this case. "Dear Mercedes, this is Wildguzzi, can we have some of your connectors for our Stelvios?"

Anyway, at this point, I say SCREW IT, lol. Do like John and cut the sucker off. Get a good ole american (read chinese) connector from Radio Shack and move on down the road. Actually, I think Im going to be more elaborate and wire up a Centech box out of the main fuse block.

Anyway, sometimes, the simplest way is blocked off but you never know till you try. Watch someone find one of these at Auto Zone now.

Re:Suggestions on mounting radar and gps on Stelvi

Mine arrived in the post toady - Thank you BigTex...

Fitted it in a mo - I under mounted mine as I still use the old StreetPilot 111 but it is the business...

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

you may notice in my centre picture that I did do it the "Easy Way" first by the handelbar adapter on the right... but easy isn't always the nicest solution...

hooiberg wrote:
Why not do it easy?

Hah, where is the fun in that? We had 15 inches of snow on Thursday, so garage time is the only quality Stelvio time I have had lately.

Also, I like having the GPS in the center of my vision. I just fabbed up yet another mount using Flipper's idea of using the windscreen mounts, and I like it a lot. Pics coming.

Ok boys, this is how we do it in Alabama ---

That wire leads to an eye-level mounted led flasher for the radar detector. By the way, notice the newly-bloomed azalea bush in the background. Its that season down here now.

And this is how we do it in the Rocky Mountains, version 2.0 :cheer: :

GPS2007.jpg

I liked the idea of having the display up higher, so I fabbed up a bracket out of 3/4" aluminum channel, with tabs on the ends bent down to accept the replacement socket head cap screws holding up the fairing.

GPS2005.jpg

I think there is a bit more vibration than when mounted on the triple tree as before, but not a big problem. I'll probably play around with some isolation washers and such. The view from the rider is perfect for me, just below the line of sight.

GPS2004.jpg

Next up is the remote display for the radar detector, recently mounted on the right side.

I was wondering what that was on the right hand side until I read the text.
I also think its much better just below line of sight.

flipper wrote:
I was wondering what that was on the right hand side until I read the text.
I also think its much better just below line of sight.

Less head movement away from the road is probably good, especially with something as distracting as a GPS...

Yes, higher is better. I tried those Ram mounts and a similar bracket to yours, tex, but it was too wobbly on severe washboard roads. Going to a more solid aluminum bracket (as pictured) solved all of that for me.

This is the mounting bracket for the Zuma from Lumalink.com . Good people to deal with .

My solution is the Touratech crossbar (275mm) and GPS mount. Since I already had the mount, the bar was a minimal investment.

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

Back