• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi gas tank insanity

Keith Broughton

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I removed the gas tank on my 2009 V7C (7500 km)to do some cleaning and checking.
When I went to re-install it I was having no end of trouble.
The tank is designed with insets for the tank to slide onto the rubber mounts connected to the frame.
Turns out, the rubber mounts were about 25mm too narrow, measured from side to side, and the tank could slop from side to side as a result.
Put some spacers in the rubber mounts and got the lateral fit corrected.
Now I can't get the tail bolt back in as it's about 10mm offset,to the rear, from the nut!
WTF!!!
Had to shave some rubber off the mounts to allow the tank to go forward enough to allow the tail bolt to line up.
Also, there are 2 rubber hoses that fit onto 2 nipples on the tank that are so short I could barely get my fingers in to push them back on the nipples.
ARE YOU FKN KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?
What a sloppy assembly job on the tank! The tank and mounts were clearly way off and l can't believe someone at the factory let this go out the door.
I have worked on a LOT of bikes and have seen some "interesting" fittments but nothing like this.
This, and other factory problems I have read about, are pushing me to just sell the bike.
It's a nice bike, but not my only bike, and certainly not worth this kind of B/S.

Not all bad news today...Buffed up the rocker covers on a polishing wheel and they look nice now :)

The alignment to the rear bolt on plastics tanks seems to change with age. New tank bolts right up, after exposure to gasoline, the dimensions of the tank seem to change.

" after exposure to gasoline, the dimensions of the tank seem to change."
What I saw was quite a change and if the gas causes this, there will be more problems down the road.

" after exposure to gasoline, the dimensions of the tank seem to change."
What I saw was quite a change and if the gas causes this, there will be more problems down the road.
This is a known problem with ethanol and why they moved from plastic. Ducati had the same issues. My old V11 as well.

Mine expanded into the valve cover and burned a nice dime size hole into the paint. Needless to say they wouldn't cover it under warranty. The previous owner already got a new tank under warranty for expansion problem that wasn't disclosed untilI traded it in for a 2013 with a metal tank.

Buy a metal tank.

Quality control not good on these bikes, I've found that out the hard way. I'm about ready to throw a match on my bike.

I think this is more a function of the plastic/nylon reacting to the ethanol and is an issue with Ducati as well as Moto Guzzi and others.

"Buy a metal tank."
Not worth it.
"I think this is more a function of the plastic/nylon reacting to the ethanol"
Then why sell plastic tanks to the North American market!
Selling bike.

For sure they missed the boat. Just the bashing on Guzzi...............this issue has affected several larger and more established bike manufacturers and is not isolated to Guzzi. I looked at Scrambler, Triumphs and BMW's when buying my new bike a year plus ago and they all had something I didn't like with regards to fit and finish. Honestly, Guzzi sells a fraction to that of these other manufacturers........I think they are doing well put in the proper perspective. I have posted elsewhere that this is far superior to the early fit and finish quality to what they produced ten years ago IMO.

Last edited:
I owned a Harley-Davidson XR1200 that had a plastic tank. They swelled from Ethanol in the fuel and caused the top of tank to pop off the injection molded decorative cover. All of them did it. HD did a recall and put new tanks on them and everyone did it.

LOL....Not sure that will happen. I have read that fiberglass may not have the same issue as the plastic/nylon tanks although I am not sure fiberglass tanks are legal to use on the road either.........

LOL....Not sure that will happen. I have read that fiberglass may not have the same issue as the plastic/nylon tanks although I am not sure fiberglass tanks are legal to use on the road either.........

Fiberglass tanks have the problem but worse. Most guys with vintage bikes and fiberglass tanks are coating them with Caswell tank sealer to prevent them from going to junk. The Caswell does not peel off like Kreem.

I know someone who had a fiberglass tank and the ethanol ate the resin then digested it through the fuel system into the intakes. The engine had to be replaced on that Triumph Bonneville. It froze solid.

Back