• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to install a center stand on a 2015 V7 Stone

Ken Cooley

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello to all.
I'm very new to Guzzi.

I have a new bike with 900 miles on her so far since last October and am adding fun things.

Recently an engine guard. Now I have this nifty center stand purchased from my Guzzi dealer
and need help on mounting it.

Is there a thread out here on this?

Has anyone done it?

20160512 153055

If it is like the older small blocks, there is a cross tube that is removed from the frame. The center stand mount is installed in its place, then the center stand is attached to the mount. I'd lay out the pieces on the bence in an order that looks like it may go and then work out the details on the bike. I've found the old automobile brake spring pliers work well in affixing the center stand spring. One of the pliers arms has a groove near the end that I put over the spring mount point on the center stand, then use the plier arm to lever the spring into place.

If it is like the older small blocks, there is a cross tube that is removed from the frame. The center stand mount is installed in its place, then the center stand is attached to the mount. I'd lay out the pieces on the bence in an order that looks like it may go and then work out the details on the bike. I've found the old automobile brake spring pliers work well in affixing the center stand spring. One of the pliers arms has a groove near the end that I put over the spring mount point on the center stand, then use the plier arm to lever the spring into place.

Thank you John
Great help there.

I'll try to get this done today. It's a bit wild around our shop today with tours and my eldest graduates university tomorrow so I'm running hard.
Looking forward to this mounted to my v7. I'll send photos here when done.

Ken

It's very easy to figure it out, be aware, you will need the euro side stand, or they interfear with each other or at least they did on my 2013 v7.

It's very easy to figure it out, be aware, you will need the euro side stand, or they interfear with each other or at least they did on my 2013 v7.

I wonder why a dealer doesn't know this kind of stuff.

Where do I buy a "Euro" Side Stand?

This is why Harley has such a strong following in the states. No worries about what fits what. You just bolt it on and ride.

Any photos of the problem this will cause and if I should wait until I source that other side stand?

It could have changed with the newer bikes, I'm not sure about that. When I put the center stand on my bike it would tangle up with the side stand. I would end up leaving the side stand down when I deployed the center stand, and then retract the side stand after retracting the center stand. I got tired of having to remember that sequence, so I just purchased the euro side stand.

If you run into that issue, go to the AF1 site and they have the euro stand listed. Can't remember the price, it was not that bad price wise.

For some reason the American side stand must be able to not fold up with a certain amount of downgrade or something like that, that is why they are angled differently. It's actually a good law, I'm surprised they don't adopt it in Europe. I had a BMW stand fold up on me one time while I was sitting on the bike reading a map, lucky I didn't get injured. Probably a good law for a guy like me, because if shit is going to happen it happens to me.

It could have changed with the newer bikes, I'm not sure about that. When I put the center stand on my bike it would tangle up with the side stand. I would end up leaving the side stand down when I deployed the center stand, and then retract the side stand after retracting the center stand. I got tired of having to remember that sequence, so I just purchased the euro side stand.

If you run into that issue, go to the AF1 site and they have the euro stand listed. Can't remember the price, it was not that bad price wise.

For some reason the American side stand must be able to not fold up with a certain amount of downgrade or something like that, that is why they are angled differently. It's actually a good law, I'm surprised they don't adopt it in Europe. I had a BMW stand fold up on me one time while I was sitting on the bike reading a map, lucky I didn't get injured. Probably a good law for a guy like me, because if shit is going to happen it happens to me.

I highly prefer my side stand. Other than Harley who makes a locking stand on their big cruisers (not sporties) I've never been all that impressed with side stands. I am with this one on the 2015 Guzzi.

I'll check it out and may just leave it if it allows me to put the side stand down first, then the center stand and so forth and so on.
As long as both can co-habitat on the bike, I'm happy.
I've had other bikes with center stands and I always put the side stand down first, get off the bike, lower the center stand and usually leave the side stand out.

If you do it that way, and that is how I was doing it, then it won't be of any concern, other then the side stand rubbing on the center stand when up. I had the center stand adjusted up as far as I could get it without touching the exhaust can. You can get it up far enough that the side stand will barely make contact with the center stand when up. What touches could easily be removed with a file.

You will need to cut some rubber off of that center stand perch to make that adjustment.

If I can ride the bike with the current side stand on and the center stand mounted I may do this for a bit.
Then, if need be contact Todd E and have him sell me a "Euro" stand.
I don't mind tinkering on my bike a bit, just like to make sure it is safe to ride and won't damage other parts, that's the biggie with me.

I really like the current side stand with regard to the way it opens up way past midrange on the bike when down. It just makes good sense.

This post is of the install we did last night on my 2015 V7 Stone Center Stand. :mad::cool::cry::):rock:

At times when you do an install on a bike of an accessory you have no instructions for you must 'Punt', or just scream or laugh or go get another beer. Right?
So, I added a few Emogi's to this because they help us deal with life........that is......when we are dealing with parts that are supposed to fit OUR bike.

I've almost never been OVER-whelmed by a part that I'm adding to a bike. Seldom am I impressed and sometimes I'm just OK with it and it will do. This install was like that.
I was glad my son helped me as he installed some items and helped me fit across the bike necessary items that would have been harder to get done if by yourself. So, I recommend a helper who knows how to use a mallet, some tools, and isn't afraid to dig in and assist you. Best if it is a rider as they appreciate safety and won't leave something not tightened or torqued.

This project was interesting in that if we had instructions we would have known it would take the removal or at least swinging away of the RIGHT side of the exhaust to get the bolts out and in and the pin in for the center stand. That said, we figured it out pretty quick and over all it went very easy in dealing with this.
But, you must remove the muffler mounting bolts, the connection to the cross over pipe and then loosen the header pipe two goofy threaded tube nuts to allow for pivoting of the head pipe, and muffler out to the side about 6-8 inches. Do not remove it as that is not necessary.

Then, take the stock parts apart and off but only after you cut the Zip Ties that hole the side stand safety switch wires and keep those loose until later relocation and zipping back on.

One huge issue is that the center stand did not fit into the bracket you bolt on to the bike. No, it required filing the ends of tube so that it would fit into the proper place. It wasn't just too much paint but too long of a tube and it is steel. So, now I have no paint on the end of this inner tube and steel filings that are all over the place as I fit this back into the part you bolt to the bike.
Oh well, it fit, very tight but still you don't notice it when you stand on the center stand to drop it and lift the bike.
I've had other center stands and mounted one on a Harley Ultra Glide Classic 2008 in fact. That one was made in the U.S. by people who knew what they were doing and it fit and worked amazing, in fact I could put that near 1000 pound bike up on the center stand from a seated position on my bike. Crazy but it worked. Like a charm.
No charm with this center stand but it is high quality just crappy and I mean real crappy tolerance on the fitment of the two pieces and any half wit could have seen this at the factory but they didn't so they shipped this out with no way in heck they would fit.
I filed it, it fit, it's on the bike.
Shot a lot of WD-40 but wished I had filled that tube with grease beforehand and let it ooze out like it does on Harley's. LOL.
:happy:

So, see the photos of it on, up on the stand and be happy for me because I'm glad I have one on the bike now.

However, my stock side stand does not work with this center stand. This side stand hits the center stand when it is put up for riding which means I need to mount some rubber to keep it from vibrating and knocking the paint off.

Once I ride the bike I'll give you my impression.

This center stand appears to be rock solid and will take a lot of abuse before the bike would fall over.
The side stand must be deployed to allow the center to go down. That's OK with me.

All in all this Italian product is nice and will work even though it had no instructions, was poorly packaged if you can consider this packaging at all and it had horrible tolerance on the main steel components that must fit together.

If a dealer reads this post please note the if you sell one of these to a rider who has no ability to AD LIB and get by with modifying stuff to make it fit you will get this back and have an angry buyer on your hands. Best you just install it for them yourself.
Time to do the job? 2 hours max.

There is a new chromed bracket that replaces the left side muffler mounting bracket and this has a nice foot pad on it that hangs down and engages with the rubber stop that the center stand uses to rest against while in riding position.
All in all well thought out but just incomplete in some ways.

In the U.S. we say "made on a Monday or Friday". Get it?

20160517 200955

20160517 200930

20160517 200940

20160517 200955

Last edited:
Ken,

Looking good. Don't ya just love the Red???

My dealer installed the euro side stand with the center stand.

No issues so far.

Gerry

Ken,

Looking good. Don't ya just love the Red???

My dealer installed the euro side stand with the center stand.

No issues so far.

Gerry

Gerry,
Could you post a photo of the euro side stand for me here?
I'd like to see the difference.
I really like center stands on bikes. I hope to just use my bike as is because this stock side stand folds
way out front and makes me feel secure when I set the bike on it. But, is the Euro Side stand shorter
and thus less supportive?
Just wondering.

I love the Red. She's my Hot Red Italian and I call her Stella.

Gerry,
Could you post a photo of the euro side stand for me here?
I'd like to see the difference.
I really like center stands on bikes. I hope to just use my bike as is because this stock side stand folds
way out front and makes me feel secure when I set the bike on it. But, is the Euro Side stand shorter
and thus less supportive?
Just wondering.

I love the Red. She's my Hot Red Italian and I call her Stella.

Ken,

I'll try and get a pix taken and posted tomorrow.

I've had no issues using the side stand by itself.

I call mine Sophia.

Gerry

And here ya go:

wfchCF.jpg

Euro stand on the right. I tried to line up the top so you could see the difference.

e8ZV2v.jpg

Put up a picture of that side stand folded up against that center stand. I had that perch adjusted as high as I could get it. I got tired of screwing up the sequence and getting them tangled up. Happen more then once and that's when I ordered the euro stand. When that side stand end up trapped under that center stand it's a bitch trying to get it undone, almost fell over a couple times on me. You need two left feet to get the frocking thing untangled.

And here ya go:

wfchCF.jpg

Euro stand on the right. I tried to line up the top so you could see the difference.

e8ZV2v.jpg

according to your pictures... doesn't ken have the Euro side stand? and isn't that the one he's having troubles with on the center stand?

He has the longer stand on the left. Don't let the absence of the deployment lever confuse you. I had Todd remove mine (no exhaust on that side). Since I just dropped my bike off in your shop, you can compare my stand to the ones on the new bikes.

Back