• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Check your shifter arm bolt

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Our friend Mike here in SoCal had his shifter arm fall off of his V7 II Stone with <1k miles on it. I'd say check yours for tightness or best is to remove and put some loctite on it. The bolt and special finish washer are not available separately.
A public service announcement. ;)

Image Image

LOL. I had the shifter on my 2012 Racer (rearsets) disappear while riding one day. It hadn't fallen off, but the linkage had come apart and the lever was pointed at the ground and I couldn't find it with my toe. Made getting home interesting.

Our friend Mike here in SoCal had his shifter arm fall off of his V7 II Stone with <1k miles on it. I'd say check yours for tightness or best is to remove and put some loctite on it. The bolt and special finish washer are not available separately.
A public service announcement. ;)

View attachment 9140 View attachment 9141

Let's just say this isn't a brand-new problem. :)
Never did find mine. I do like the Sato rearsets that replaced it.
Interesting that the photo shows a lever attached that MG said didn't exist.
~ 'May be' my 2013 V7s was back to the future?

Let's just say this isn't a brand-new problem. :)
Never did find mine. I do like the Sato rearsets that replaced it.
Interesting that the photo shows a lever attached that MG said didn't exist.
~ 'May be' my 2013 V7s was back to the future?
Very curious. The most recent V7-II Stone ABS parts manual I have, dated 16/04/2015, seems to show a one piece shift lever with integral shaft, part 2B001096, the same as used on the earlier V7 Stone and Special models. Your photo clearly shows something different. I just went out to the garage and looked at my '16 Stone. It has a separate lever like yours, held on with a sturdy-looking bolt. Fortunately, mine is tight. The parts manual needs updating.

Update: some european parts sources show the correct lever, it's part number GU20010965.

Last edited:
When I first fitted my rearsets to my V7, I took it for a couple of test rides to get the setup just right. Twice the shifter peg vibrated loose and fell off enroute ... at night. Twice I combed the street for the missing parts, and both times I found them again. Third time I used lots of Loctite Blue on the screw. Haven't had an incident since.

I had the same issue on my 2012 V7 racer, Shifter linkage broke (bolt), shifter hanging loose while stuck in 3rd gear. Ordered OEM replacement assembly from Af1 in Austin, and put loctite on all the threads.
so far so good.

Does anyone have the part number for this fix? I have a 2014 V7 racer and the previous owner mentioned it broke twice in a few thousand km's. I would like to order a couple of extras to be safe

IHEOwZG.jpg

Well, last night the the threaded portion on the heim bolt broke on a 1st to 2nd shift. I was able to get it into 1st gear and nurse the bike home at 30km/hr.

It looked exactly like the picture above. Mine broke in the same spot.

I did have an extra part that I installed, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to have extras of the part that broke (right hand heim) the threaded post in the middle with one side right hand threads and the other side left hand threads and then a spare left hand heim as all of them look like they could break.

Has anyone found a better aftermarket part that is made from stronger steel than the factory part? The previous owner of my bike had it break twice in 1,900km and I've broken it once in 1,100km.

Is this something that is mainly happening with the V7 Racer shifters or are all V7's having this issue?

Even if I had a spare part with me last night and a 9mm and 10mm spanner, it wouldn't have helped as the part that sheared off was flush with the shifter and I couldn't get it out. However, by the time I got home, it had fallen out. Probably due to the vibrations of a 15km drive home in first gear at 4,000 to 5,000 rpm

Has anyone found a better aftermarket part that is made from stronger steel than the factory part? The previous owner of my bike had it break twice in 1,900km and I've broken it once in 1,100km.
Is this something that is mainly happening with the V7 Racer shifters or are all V7's having this issue?
Only the Racers have this set up. I have a superior solution, that is on the expensive side, but they are stainless and sealed from the elements. About $25/each (shown below), online here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/linkage-ball-joints-m6

MC HeimJnt

Only the Racers have this set up. I have a superior solution, that is on the expensive side, but they are stainless and sealed from the elements. About $15/each (shown below), and when I've offered to put them online before, I had no takers. Let me know if you want me to put them online. Shipping might be a little annoying to Canada.

View attachment 22787
Hell! I'd buy one!

Hell! I'd buy one!
I just put them online;

What about the threaded shift rod that goes between these right and left hand heim joints?

Mine is bent and a 3 month wait for parts from the dealer and.....it's only sold as a group, not an individual part.

Do you have access to a right hand thread only rod. I'm thinking someone could order 2 right hand heim joints from you, replace one with the left hand joint and it might be easier to source a right hand piece of threaded rod vs the factory left/right hand rod. I know that would make it more difficult to adjust the gear lever height but, someone else correctly mentioned that you only really need to set the gear height once anyways and then bolt it all down.

Any dealer or a standard (right) all-thread in stainless is easy to get, so yes.
What's the length you need?

Usually when this part breaks, the spacer/washer usually gets lost. My experience is, unless you have this part (or something similar) it will put a lot of stress on the threaded post and this failure will occur again (and usually after a few hundred miles).

The part number is 886668 for the V7 racer (I don't think the special or stone use this part). I ordered one in July 2021 and it just came in last week to Canada but you could always machine something or get something from the hardware store.

Looks like this:

886668 Spcr

I tried to crazy glue and then loctite this spacer to the shifter arm so, if it ever broke again, I could retain this part but the glue never held it very well

Back