• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

water mixing with gear oil in my transmission

tripleman

Just got it firing!
The first time I drained the gearbox, the oil was greenish brown which must be water mixing with the oil. About 1,000 miles later, I checked it again and it is getting water and mixing with the gear oil once again. What is the fix to keep water out of the gearbox? How do I locate the vent tube assuming this is the culprit. I thought that maybe when I was washing it that water was entering somehow. I checked the air filter box for condensation but it is bone dry. Help!

Is it water or gremlins adding food coloring? What type of environmnet do you live in, condensation? Trans not getting hot enough to vapor off water? What color is the oil going in? Do you wash with garden hose or pressure washer?

GU07801_50.gif

You can see the vent, it's on the RH side at the rear and has a pipe attatched, or should have. Dunno where this goes? Maybe to the airbox. Maybe just to atmosphere, can't remember and haven't got a bike handy to go and have a look at right now.

If the pipe has come off then that would be a point of ingress. If the pipe isn't connected to anything that too mifgt cause a problem if it's venting end is in the line of fire from spray off the back wheel. The earlier six speed boxes didn't have a tube on the vent and it was diretly in front of the tyre :blink: . V11's are notorious for filling their gearboxes with water but I've never had a problem with a Griso??? Or any of the other Nuovo Six Speed bikes.

Pete

On the Norge, and I would guess on other similar models the vent tube simply tucks under the intake of the air box. When I changed out my Norge's air filter a couple of months ago I found this hose, the upper end of which didn't plug into anything. When I blew into it, the air was going somewhere then the air would blow back out and it smelled like gear oil. So I'm assuming this was the vent hose for the gear box.

It could be the garden hose when I wash the bike. I see the vent tube coming off of the transmission but have not been able to see where it ends without dismantling part of the bike. Someone told me earlier that the tube itself could be perforated and easily accepts water. Either way, I need to inspect the complete tube at some point. In the meantime, I am going to be especially careful washing the bike.

I live very near to the equator where relative humidity is above 80% all day and these are the gear oil I drained from my 2009 Griso 8V recently.

Left being transmission/gear box oil and the one on the right is oil from CARC, both oils drained after 10,000km (6250miles)/12 months and hit not less than 10 times in tropical torrential rain.

The oils are dark but clear, I can't seems to capture the "clearness" with my point and shoot camera.

Phang

PDSCN6835.jpg

I have 112,000 km on my griso, the last gear oil change, the oil came out near white. I have put another near 3k on, and found the box had water enter again, Drained, and had an extra 100ml of fluid in the box, than what I put in, Had a real good look over the box externally for leaks, checked the vent hose, possibly as noted here, maybe water could have entered there, though I have never shifted where the hose goes, or how I wash. Will look at placing elsewhere when put new oil in, and check again after a few rides.
Interesting all the same.

Back