• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 reving at start up, no power.....

andyb

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My 2015 V7 has a massive 1600 miles on it (blame a cycling accident last year for that). It is a 2015 model with single injection. So far all has been good but today I rode it to work and all was fine, but then starting later it ran to 60000rpm and no power. Felt like a weak mixture??

I left it at work and tomorrow will disconnect the battery and see if it resets iteself.

Anybody got any other ideas? It is under warranty but if something simple I would prefer to mend it myself

Thanks All

AndyB

Andy, are you saying it would only rev to 6,000 RPM? I'd take it in to the dealer and have them diagnose it. Could be a myriad of things, so without connecting to it and reading any error codes, or seeing if there's any air leaks or exhaust blockage, it's too hard to say via the internet. Let us know if the reset helps any, I don't think it will, but I've been wrong before.

Hi Todd,
It starts up but then revs to 6000rpm - so I then switch off. There is no tickover. It is like a throttle cable has snagged (but they are free). I tried to ride it briefly and the motor has no power.
If it was a carbed bike I would say it was running very weak (airleak or no fuel). With injection I have no idea what to do. I will try removing the battery to reset it today and then contact the dealer.

The only thing I can see that looks a little strange (but may be right) is that below the inlet manifold there is a single male spigot pointing vertically downwards that looks like it should have a 1/4" hose on it....but no sign of a loose hose anywhere.

Thanks for your help

AndyB

As I understand it, at startup it immediately revs up to 6k rpm, without idling. And if you try to ride it, there's no power.

It does sound like a snagged throttle cable, but you say they're free. Maybe take another look. Perhaps you missed something.

Hmm, well having a dealer hook it up to a diagnostic machine would provide answers. There's also diagnostic software for riders. Maybe someone close to you can have a look if they have the software?

The only thing I can see that looks a little strange (but may be right) is that below the inlet manifold there is a single male spigot pointing vertically downwards that looks like it should have a 1/4" hose on it....but no sign of a loose hose anywhere.
The vacuum connection for the evap canister is on top of the intake manifold (on my bike). I have nothing on the bottom. I guess it could have changed. To your issue, however, if that is an open tube on the manifold, it may be your problem. Find some way to plug it and see what happens (a short hose with a bolt in one end or something).

Thanks guys.
Went back to it this morning, did nothing, and it fired up and ran at 3000rpm....then died....a couple of restarts later all back to normal. So nothing was snagged or had fallen off, must be an electrical gremlin. I have taken to a dealer to check the error codes - will report back when I know more. I just hope that there is something definately wrong!
AndyB

No. But thanks for the limk to your thread. It is a different problem. Or at least different symptoms. Bike with the dealer so lets see what they say

Well a couple of weeks have gone by (as the garage had a problem with their electronic tester).

They updated reset the map on the bike - and it now has a tickover of 1500rpm which feels wrong. It feels like a weak mixture and gives no engine braking. The mechanic (who is good) recognised the problem before I went for a ride on it so the bike is staying at the garage.
No error codes showed so there is no clue as to what is wrong.
The mechanic told me that the tickover was set by the electronics of the bike and could not be adjusted.....
Any thoughts??

AndyB

Last edited:
New ECU and throttle body....
Now ticks over at 1400rpm after holding 1500rpm for maybe 5 seconds.
Still a little hestitant at low revs but not too bad but the dealer says it is not as sweet as it should be

Apart from a pair of the longer Mistrals fitted the bike is standard in the engine department.

Voltage at battery OK.
Tappetts were checked and OK.

Dealer suggested trying higher octane unleaded fuel instead of regular.
And trying a return to standard silencers (although these did not produce the problem when fitted).

Any other thoughts??

Would an ECU reflash by GT work with UK fuel on a Euro spec bike?

Thanks
AndyB

Pretty well everyone I know who has tried a higher octane petrol on the V7 has regretted it.
Did you try disconnecting the o2 sensor? As I said, this has happened before and that was the cure. A new sensor was fitted then.
There is no evap canister on the UK models, that little brass spigot does not have any hole through it.

The manual calls for premium fuel, so that's what I run. Timing advance is based on octane rating among other things. The ECU expects to see premium. Since there are not any knock sensors to retard the timing, running a lower grade is not advisable.

Aftermarket pipes allow the engine to breathe better. This increased airflow will cause the bike to run leaner (not enough fuel). This is most noticeable at low RPM (hesitation).

Would an ECU reflash by GT work with UK fuel on a Euro spec bike?

Yes. Todd has a solution that will work for you. Shoot him an email.

Hi Brian,
How do I disconnect the O2 sensor (s)? I assume they are the sensors in the exhaust pipes under the engine? One on each pot.

Seems contradictory answers about fuel - Brian says not to use higher octane fuel, pokeyjoe says to use premium as 'a lowergrade is not advisable'.....I wonder if this is a difference between US and UK fuels?

Bike in warranty so not sure about reflashing the ECU at the moment?
Cheers
AndyB

Seems contradictory answers about fuel - Brian says not to use higher octane fuel, pokeyjoe says to use premium as 'a lowergrade is not advisable'.....I wonder if this is a difference between US and UK fuels?

What does it say in YOUR owner's manual? Don't second guess the engineers that built the bike.

There are two reasons for the start/rev issue that have surfaced; 1. Faulty 02-sensor requiring replacement. 2. Intake leak at the manifold.
A reflash will not resolve either, but once running correctly, will give you a wonderful new bike to enjoy.

The manual says Premium unleaded, minimum octane 95 (NORM) and 85 (NOMM)
Our standard unleaded is 95 RON, Super unleaded is 98 RON.

Agree with what you are saying Todd - how do I check out the O2 sensor? No error codes were showing.
Can I simply disconnect it - and if so, how

AndyB

In the UK I had this exact problem with my V7II (2015), bought from new and soon had intermittent misbehaving: variable idling, loss of power (especially at low revs), turn throttle then power suddenly comes back in a rush, over revving at idling (sometimes revs by itself to over 4000rpm), occasionally cuts out. Other times (maybe 70% of the time) was fine. Often seemed to clear itself after fully warming up or opening the throttle on a long stretch so i put up with it for some time.

Took it back to my dealer last year who reflashed and replaced the plug leads at the same time as doing the 600 mile first service. At first it seemed better but still not right and recently got worse (some quite hairy trips to work an a bike kangaorooing through town, not a good look).

So phoned my dealer again last week who phoned MG Technical (in the UK I think) who said that they had produced a new ECU flash last October for idling problems. Still sceptical I took the bike in and 20 mins later am riding out on what feels like a totally different bike, buttery smooth power delivery, the bike I had hoped I bought. Haven't put more than about 75 miles on her over 2 trips so still monitoring it but the problem does seem to be solved.

I'm no mechanic but I always suspected the fuel mapping as a mechanical problem would surely less likely be so intermittent and it just felt something was playing around with the fuel delivery.

Btw, dealer also said they have never had problems with the throttle bodies/O2 sensors on the V7s.

Hope this might help...

Other dealers in the UK report differently. However there may now be a new fuel map available.
The o2 sensors are in the exhaust pipes, just follow the wires away and unplug at the 4 way connector.

The comments I made about fuel were valid for the UK. Many owners have reported bad running on UK premium (98 octane) fuel.

Back