• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Creamy oil in R/H rocker cover !!

Renevator

Just got it firing!
Ok, first time I've tackled any work on my Griso 1100 and I find this creamy white oil inside the cover and on the rockers with a slightly black creamy residue lying in the head

20160522 183842 20160522 183723 20160522 184106

Should I be worried?

I read that this can be a symptom of an engine not getting hot enough but could there be some expensive issues going on here?

The bike has done 13,000 miles and I've put less than 1000 on it since bought in October last year (yes I know that's pathetic ). It had a full service before I bought it. The air filter was a little dirty but nothing horrendous and the plug as per attached.
It had developed an oil leak recently on this side, hence the early service. The valve clearances are .13mm inlet, .17 mm exhaust so not too far out.

Also, when I removed the battery housing there was a hose behind it that wasn't attached to anything, as attached photo.
Could this be causing any engine breathing problems? I can't quite work out what it is from the workshop manual.

Any advice much appreciated and if it is a general symptom of the engine not getting hot enough how do I cure that?

Attachments

• 20160522_184931.jpg
    20160522_184931.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160522_175410.jpg
    20160522_175410.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Engine isn't getting the oil hot enough. BTW, I've seen top ends with much more "mayo" in them. Product of riding in a cool climate. Are you running the fully synthetic 10W60?

I think you will find the disconnected hose is from removal of the fuel evaporation system. I think you will find the hose going up is connected to the fuel tank. If not, I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks John, reassuring to know it could be worse. Yes I'm running 10w60 fully synthetic, Motul. I'll check that hose further but appreciate the tip.

Should I change oil then?

I'm in the Uk and it's been variable in temp here though nothing extreme.
I'll do a search but what's the general wisdom for riding in cooler climates? ....just accept it? And if so will that do permanent damage to the engine?
Presume if I switch to 20w50 it'll help with engine heating, but I guess I'll have to be careful when the weather heats up and poss revert to 10w60?

Would be interested to hear of other UK riders issues, and cures on this score.

At least I'm not looking at an engine rebuild which was my first panic thought on lifting the rocker cover.

Stay with the 10W60. If you ever get summer the mayo will go away. It only seems so sit near the valve covers as they will condense any water vapor the engine breathes in. I've never seen it in a sump even when the valve covers are well coated. There should be enough oil around to protect the top end. The 2 valve engines are just about bullet proof and a little bit of condensation should do no harm.

Thanks John, reassuring to know it could be worse. Yes I'm running 10w60 fully synthetic, Motul. I'll check that hose further but appreciate the tip.n

Should I change oil then?

I'm in the Uk and it's been variable in temp here though nothing extreme.
I'll do a search but what's the general wisdom for riding in cooler climates? ....just accept it? And if so will that do permanent damage to the engine?
Presume if I switch to 20w50 it'll help with engine heating, but I guess I'll have to be careful when the weather heats up and poss revert to 10w60?

Would be interested to hear of other UK riders issues, and cures on this score.

At least I'm not looking at an engine rebuild which was my first panic thought on lifting the rocker cover.

Incredibly, this is a normal response to an engine that just isn't getting hot enough, long enough to "cook" the condensation out of the oil. The only real cure is to ride longer and at a higher RPM. Short trips make the issue worse. I have had several HD's and they all did this on cool days to one level or another. And DONT mess with your oil weight...oil engineers know more that we do... RIDE MORE/WORRY LESS.

Thanks Touringman. I'm going to revert to my old technique of choosing the long way on my daily commute, which should stretch it from 30 mins each way to about 50, with a lot more bends, gear changes etc thrown in . Great to be reassured by you guys, thanks.

If you ride in a cooler climate I would consider blocking off or otherwise restricting airflow through the oil cooler. Guzzi did not put a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit for some reason. Older bikes like the V11 did have one, but not the Griso apparently.

Back