• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Overheated?

husker_in_kc

Just got it firing!
Whent on a trip down to New Orleans on the 2012 Norge, modified with Todds fueling and y-pipe with new exhaust. When I rolled into NOLA I got stuck in bad traffic and after about an hour of stop and go traffic, she got very cranky with me. I'm not sure if I know the exact term but more of a metal on metal tapping sound from the RH cylinder. I got on the side or the road and let her cool off for about 30 minutes and to let some of the traffic die down. Finally tried to go again and a not good metal on metal sound for first revolution then sounded a bit better. I got going for a bit then got snarled up again in traffic and back to the tapping sound. Finally pushed on the last mile to get where I was going and let her sit for a day. Next day started her up and the not good metal on metal sound for the first rev or 2 then got back to normal. Went for a bit of a ride and sounded like normal. Parked her, then came back a couple days later and set out on the trip home. Never had a problem on the 900 miles over 2 days back. Is this something I need to be concerned about and take action on?

I don't think so. My Bassa did the exact same thing in prolonged, hot, slow, stop&go riding. Oil gets real hot/thin and doesn't lubricate quite as well, I guess. Solution is to avoid the prolonged, hot, slow, stop&go riding. :)

Hmm, I can understand the alarm! I just bought a "new" 2015 Norge. It has an oil cooler. Just curious if your '12 has the oil cooler? I assume your running the 10-60 wt oil? I ride in some pretty hot conditions come August, so good to know about this potential.

Best...

That metal on metal sound you hear on start up on the right side is probably the hydraulic tensioner for the cam chain. The reservoir on the right side is larger on the right on the later 8V and takes some time to prime up. For some reason, it is worse on the roller tappet engines than the flat tappet. Usually goes for a second or so then stops once the pressure pumps up. Thinner hot oil may just take a little longer to prime up.

The sound you heard while riding may be the same thing, but hard to tell without listening to it. Would not think the tensioner would loosen up during hot riding but may be possible if the oil gets thin and hot enough and you can't maintain enough pressure. The fact that it went away is a good sign as there is no damage (potentially), but may want to check the valve clearances on the right side just to make sure nothing is out of spec.

Last edited:
2012 is right around the switch over from flat tappet to roller. Some 2012's are flat, some are roller. I am not one of the people who are scared of the flat tappets, but others have said that ALL FLAT TAPPET MOTORS WILL FAIL. If I were you I would look to see what you have. You should be able to tell by looking under the valve cover.
Sorry if I sound like I am fear mongering. That is not my intent. I like flat tappets, all 4 of my Guzzi's have flat tappets. But none of mine are 8 valve motors. I have two four valve per cylinder Guzzis but those are different motors.

I have also heard from others that it is very important to use the required oil in an 8 valve Guzzi motor.

Just to be on the safe side I would change the oil. Oils has gotten hot & there may have been some minor wear on metal parts. Oil change could be cheap insurance.

"ALL FLAT TAPPET MOTORS WILL FAIL" i have a 2012 Norge and was aware of the tappet issue. started hearing all sorts of noises that i never heard before, or did I? was it my imagination? after 13000 miles, oil changed regularly etc i decided to pull the cam box and check - very obvious wear on three tappets plus one completely bare of coating.

Piaggio wont help with anything in the UK unless you have a full dealer service record, and dealer does all the work and submits report to Piaggio. so, I am left to pay £800 and do the work myself - welcome to rip-off Britain

ALL TAPPET MOTORS WILL FAIL

Hi,
If you had an actual oil pressure gauge fitted you would understand better why your motor was not happy. Lack of airflow/cooling from lack of moving in stop / start traffic , It got too hot. I have seen my oil pressure drop (an older Guz ) from gauge reading of usually 35-40 psi to almost nothing under these conditions. and yes it rattled both bike and me. Guzzis don't like it. As to consequences . etc etc , others will be more knowledgeable for your model/ bike. Change oil, avoid doing it again and keep on riding.
Dave

Back