• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Cable Adjuster Length & Diameter LM 1000

OldJock

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Posting up here too, I did post on WG but due to the absolutely UNDERWHELMING response decided here might be worth a try.

I'm looking for the length, diameter would be useful too, of the cable adjuster at the Gbx end of the cable. This is so I can see if I can purchase one without having to buy a cable that would be of no use to me whatsoever apart from the adjuster.

I converted the bike to a hydraulic clutch a while back and I'm running an ISR master cylinder, unfortunately the smaller size offered just did not have enough puff to do the job and the larger which I have on now makes the clutch feel stiff and wooden or lacking feel. The hydraulic setup also pushes continually on the arm that actuates the pushrod, which although up until now has not been a problem, makes me nervous, especially as I'm running a RAM clutch.

So I'm going back to cable but using an ISR lever to match the brakes, this uses a smaller nipple than standard, so I plan to make a custom cable for it. The other reason for going custom is the bike is a Sfida so although I can make the standard Guzzi cable work its not ideal length wise and as I have the tools for making a cable, it should not be too much of a big deal to make a special.

Here is a rather blurred picture of the adjuster I'm referring to

Clutch%20Cable%20Termination_zps325d1wxc.jpg

Sorry, meant to do this yesterday and forgot. The threaded portion is M9-1.25. Overall length is 50.35 mm, the threaded portion is ~ 39 mm long. On this one, the hex portion is 10 mm, but on some others it's 11 mm.

Charlie

Thanks a lot that's great, I thought it was smaller, so you've set me right

Very much appreciated, I might have some problems trying to procure something to fit M9 is a non standard size....................trust Guzzi to make it hard for me

The info is very much appreciated

John

I got similar dimensions except I measured the threaded portion as M8X1.25. Key is to have a diameter small enough to pass through the gearbox cover boss. I don't think a mm either way makes much difference as it is the two nuts that secure the cable adjuster in position. I think I found one on this page http://www.flanderscables.com/actio...tor=Contains&Type=Adjuster&Catagory=CablePart

Maybe someone has saved one from a broken cable and would be willing to send it to you.

Thanks John for the information and the link

I actually checked Stein Dinse as I'm in the UK, they have a cable for about 8 Euro, which is ridiculously cheap (if their website is correct), cost me a little more for shipping but I could probably shorten the cable then it would just be a ferrule and nipple on the lever end.

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/Moto-Guz.../Verschleissteile/Clutch-Cable-LM-4::893.html

I could order a couple of them or I think I can get an M8 adjuster that's around 32mm long, might find others that are longer.

I'll take out the slave and check an M8 screw with some bolts to get an idea. Once its done I'll post up findings

On another topic I think I have finally nailed the 320mm disc caliper carrier, I'll post up on that thread when its done with a picture and later with a drawing of what worked for me in case anybody decides to go that route in future

Much appreciated as always

John

For that price you can't go wrong. Should be easy to just shorten and add your nipple to the cable.

Went with the SD cable for now, after it was cut & new nipple installed the fit was pretty tight, the cable runs a lot closer to the engine than I'd like BUT I've had it out for its MOT (road worthiness inspection that's annually required and a PIA) and it was fine, nothing melted.

The cables I've been getting before from another supplier were miles longer, not sure what was going on there.

Later I'm going to remove the cable and get some specials made by Venhill with probably 100mm or so more cable in order to route it further away from the casings, but the short cable will give me the critical inner/outer difference measurement.

The adjuster at the clutch end is indeed an M8. For the ISR lever I used a 8x13mm barrel nipple and an associated trumpet nipple. This is tight to install due to the trumpet but once in place is free to turn and works a treat.

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Cables_-_C...813L_LOOSE_BARREL_NIPPLE_8mm_O.D._x_13mm.html

The SD cable inner is 2mm diameter and I used the ISR extended pull lever as the standard one is a little on the tight side, for getting full cable pull to disengage the clutch.

Just to wind up the thread and say thanks again really pleased with the results.

Later when I have the bike out I'll post up some pictures.

John

Last edited:
Unusual that the slot for the cable nipple is on top. I think I'd keep it well packed with grease to prevent water intrusion into the cable. Other than that looks like a nice lever.

Hi John

Yeah I'll lube it well when I get more time.

The lever can be reversed either way, so I can have the slot on the top or bottom. I don't think it will make much odds as the bike rarely sees rain

John

Hi John

Yeah I'll lube it well when I get more time.

The lever can be reversed either way, so I can have the slot on the top or bottom. I don't think it will make much odds as the bike rarely sees rain

John
That is a beautiful lever set up is that stock?

Hi Groundhog

No that lever is not stock, its from ISR & is an "extra pull" item with an adjustable lever

When I rebuilt the Sfida about 4 years back, I installed ISR series 32, 6 pot calipers and master cylinders. going to hydro on the clutch.

ISR are a Swedish company and I just love the quality and workmanship of their offerings

The hydro clutch never really worked out due to a mismatch on M/C Vs slave cylinder so I went back to cable on the clutch, hence this thread. This was not a total loss either, the masters are exchangable left and right, so I can use what was the clutch master on the 1000 as a brake master on the 1100 I'm building.

At the same time the discs which were fixed Magni items warped, so I got ISR to manufacture 320mm floaters and mounted them too, that meant getting new caliper carriers made which was a right old faff as the dimensions had to be spot on.

There is a couple of pictures of the brakes and disc in this thread

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/looking-for-brake-disc-dimensions-t3-sp-lm-spoke.15658/

Below is the ISR items when they arrived at the original rebuild

ISRBrakesampMCs_zpsedb859b0.jpg

Since then I changed the switches to heavier current black items. The other switch is a MotoGadget M-Switch. As the bike has been rewired by me and runs a MotoGadget M-Unit all the switchgear is pushbutton.

Hope that explains it some

John

Back